Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Note on a banned poster

If you're of the view that there is a need for an old school, simple style, classic BB, with more focus on debate and discussion than bells and whistles, then gubu.ie is for you. See here for some site specific information, admin announcements, forum requests, feedback etc.
Forum rules
No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.
GrowlerG

Re: Note on a banned poster

Post by GrowlerG »

Séimhe wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:22 pm That’s a lot of work on you though. I used to moderate a group on another social media site and just a few childish pests really became a time sink. It’s hard to argue the nuance via this medium (at least, I find it that way). Seems like a big ask of anyone.
Moderation is a tough gig you have to be appreciative of that. But also ultimately it's their ball, their rules. So you've got to respect that too. It's a bit like house rules in pool.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

marhay70 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:27 pm Isn't that understandable though, people react to controversial views and outrageous commentary. When a poster gets a reputation for that sort of thing, their posts are inclined to act as magnets. Half the people who would have contributed to his threads would want to poke the bear and the other half would be wondering how they were still getting away with it.
I don't tend to start threads, not because I have nothing to say but rather because my experiences are of a different generation to most of the posters here. I have little to contribute on topics that might be to the fore in the minds of the younger generation.
I don't just mean clickbait - his posts (in my humble opinion!) have prompted some interesting discussions in parts. The Jordan Peterson thread is a good example - maybe he started it to troll, but as it developed other posters chimed in with sensible and interesting discussion. Same is true about the Biggest Event thread, it's a bit conspiracy theory but there are some interesting points of view expressed in there.

A different example with different poster but a similiar sort of thing - Jonjo's Will Russia Invade Ukraine Tonight thread - most of the initial action in that thread was Jonjo being mocked for weeks about the idea Russia would invade Ukraine, and I received lots of post reports and PMs about him being a doom mongering troll etc. I ignored them all and took no action, not because I thought Jonjo was right - I totally disagreed with everything he said - but because he was not being a dick.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I know it's sad in some ways to see some posters go, sure, I get that, but honestly if people are so fragile that they cannot look past a few idiots shit posting, then you will never be able to stop them. Or you may be able to stop them a few times but there will always come a time when they will suddenly jump ship anyway for some perceived grievance you could not have anticipated. Because you can't please everyone all the time, even people you might like.

Once you start dancing to people's tunes they never run out of new dances they want you to do for them.

It's rational to fairly quickly mark a troll and nix them. I would not be worried about doing that, and people should equally give time for such posters to reasonably be measured by you. Expecting instant nixing of trolls is petty. Someone might settle after starting life as an asshole.

But it's not worth trying to placate people who can't cope with finding this and that randomly distasteful. Let them come or go. Life goes on.

You also don't have to measure success by duration or popularity of a site. The mere doing of it at all is the success. In my opinion. It's a happening in and of itself that took energy and courage. Anything after that is gravy.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

As for conspiracy topics, people could remember that Hunter Biden's laptop is real and full of vileness, Corona virus was created in a lab funded by US gain of function research monies and Hilary Clinton was up to her eyeballs in corrupted electioneering that verges on sedition. All of which realities would have gotten one labeled as a freak for reporting not long ago.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

Guburnor wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:43 pm I don't just mean clickbait - his posts (in my humble opinion!) have prompted some interesting discussions in parts. The Jordan Peterson thread is a good example - maybe he started it to troll, but as it developed other posters chimed in with sensible and interesting discussion. Same is true about the Biggest Event thread, it's a bit conspiracy theory but there are some interesting points of view expressed in there.

A different example with different poster but a similiar sort of thing - Jonjo's Will Russia Invade Ukraine Tonight thread - most of the initial action in that thread was Jonjo being mocked for weeks about the idea Russia would invade Ukraine, and I received lots of post reports and PMs about him being a doom mongering troll etc. I ignored them all and took no action, not because I thought Jonjo was right - I totally disagreed with everything he said - but because he was not being a dick.
I think that people might have been not trying to shut down Jonjo specifically. But rather shut down any negativity towards Russia. Jonjo was just the medium to achieve that.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

And I was asked to ban plenty around the time of the caution towards Putin discussions as well!
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Guburnor wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:43 pm I don't just mean clickbait - his posts (in my humble opinion!) have prompted some interesting discussions in parts. The Jordan Peterson thread is a good example - maybe he started it to troll, but as it developed other posters chimed in with sensible and interesting discussion. Same is true about the Biggest Event thread, it's a bit conspiracy theory but there are some interesting points of view expressed in there.

I agree, I posted to Jonjo's thread but I felt he contributed a little to the mockery by coming up with some infantile posts. Right enough though, he wasn't a dick'.
Our other friend was very quick to resort to slanging and personal jibes when anybody chose to call him out. No doubt he'll return in some other guise but he should be easy to spot if he carries on the same way.

Post by 765489 »

Guburnor wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:31 pm And I was asked to ban plenty around the time of the caution towards Putin discussions as well!
That's crazy. I didn't think the caution towards Putin thread was in anyway offensive. People like that need to fck off back to boards if they are that sensitive. I don't think Simone / 46a was active on the site at that stage.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

Perhaps some of this might be to shut down anti Russian sentiment.

Post by 765489 »

GrowlerG wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:13 pm Perhaps some of this might be to shut down anti Russian sentiment.
Doesn't matter if it was pro or anti. Running to a moderator to shut down debate on a thread that was mostly political in nature at the time stinks of the shit that goes on over at planks.ie.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Personally I would never ask for any poster to be banned. Its not my remit to govern the goings on here, its the admins and moderator of GUBU.
I respect that and would never throw my toys out of the pram and threaten to leave if my whims and woes were not listened to by those in charge here.

If I decide to leave over something here, I just pack up my bags and go, end of. No need for drama entrances or exits. Thats being a dick.

Post by 765489 »

kadman wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:24 pm Personally I would never ask for any poster to be banned. Its not my remit to govern the goings on here, its the admins and moderator of GUBU.
I respect that and would never throw my toys out of the pram and threaten to leave if my whims and woes were not listened to by those in charge here.

If I decide to leave over something here, I just pack up my bags and go, end of. No need for drama entrances or exits. Thats being a dick.
I agree with all of this Kadman. Posters being drama queens before they leave is very damaging to the site. If you want to leave go quietly and don't try and ruin it for everyone else.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

You can just put the overly dramatic on ignore. So its not really damaging to the site.

What's damaging is people actually leaving. If its struggling to attract and retain people.

Post by 765489 »

I can never get myself to put anyone on ignore. I like to see everything that's going on :)
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Guburnor and others, apologies for the tone of my responses to the recently departed.

I just couldn't leave it be, as I don't think it's right to just ignore someone on a discussion forum when they're posting what I believe to be nonsense, with such casual disregard. The internet is full of noise, full of misinformation, full of timewasters putting no effort into what they write when they're the ones who have chosen to initiate a discussion about oftentimes divisive, polarising and antagonistic subjects.

The way I reply, at this stage of my life, is the same online as offline. I can't be bothered trying to craft an online persona, to maintain a multi-faceted representation of myself and to adjust the way I challenge these things. I call a spade a spade.

While I'm pretty comfortable with confrontation, I know it's not everyone's style, so take whatever tone you might be reading into whatever I may write as blunt, but pretty open and honest. If someone's up for a discussion, and prepared to develop it through intelligent discourse and debate, behind the bluntness you'll be interacting with someone (me) who very much appreciates you taking the time to engage.

When it's total nonsense, just dumped in an OP with none of ones own input, then it'll get my back up every time. And some folks know this, others are hoping to encounter people like me, and sometimes they'll get the best of me.

I don't know how much time I spend here, but I suspect it's probably a check-in a few times a day to see what's happening, probably similar to others here. That's often rewarded with good quality contributions, across a wide range of subjects and covering the full spectrum from frivolous fun to deadly serious. I value that, very much.

The world is full of interesting people, living very different lives, with very different perspectives and experience to draw from. Those of us who can be stubborn and incredibly opinionated owe it to everyone to pay attention when someone else has a different take on something. It's what helps keep me grounded anyway and gives me a way to know more of the world I live in, as it's changing with increasing pace over recent years.

I can think of many posts I've read here that lend me other peoples perspectives, and have helped me shift my own, or to focus on the truly important aspects instead of my initial take. That's why somewhere like Gubu matters a lot. I'm given the opportunity to learn why others hold the opinions and positions they do, not just that there are differences therein.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Calling out posters is something against the rules over on planks, yet something that is regularly allowed if it is assumed that someone is a troll or on a wind up.

I’m not sure I see any benefit at all in it except for that poster to feel better. It puts a mark on the poster who received it to get attacked again and of course who gets ‘called out’ will feel the need to defend themselves. This type of exchange fills the ranks of political threads over on planks and is not something that I would like to see here.

Calling out someone’s argument is something entirely different, but we shouldn’t be calling out posters. It’s not conducive to good discussion. People will eventually be called out just for merely mentioning a topic, that’s the way it always goes.

I mean maybe we could call out that poster, in a separate thread or separate discussion for that kind of talk(like we are doing now), but threads and topics shouldn’t be usurped.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Celchick wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:34 am There's a report button though, so member input in that regard is welcomed.

People in the pub roaring absurdities and throwing insults and trying to start aggro get turfed out of the pub - the same logic applied to a discussion forum (albeit after a few chances) seems fair to me.
But its the landlords job to deal with the offensive drunk in the pub, not the other patrons. Same here as far as I see it. Guburnor is the landlord, and he is the last word on it, would not join in by insisting on this one and that one is banned because I think they are a crackpots. Report button about a post is one thing, insisting on the guburnor banning a poster otherwise I'm out of here is something else I dont agree with.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Dealing with the odd crackpot is half the fun :lol:

Look at the interest it has generated on this thread alone.....Now come on and lets post more interesting threads like how to dye CR's old napkins :mrgreen:
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

I thought he was a lovely fella.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

To be honest, I dont know who it was, and thought it might be CR for his outrageous naked dancing threads :mrgreen: ...and then I saw him still posting.

I hope Guburnor gave him a stern warning :lol: :lol: :lol:
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Was he banned for good?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:21 am Was he banned for good?
Hopefully.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 967543 »

Last thing we need is this place becoming another planks.ie
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Saint_Tibulas wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:56 pm Last thing we need is this place becoming another planks.ie
In what sense? If you mean letting loons wreck the place I couldn't agree more. Moderation here is light and posters should respect that and not abuse the system by posting gibberish to elicit a response. A number of posters have given up due to the light touch moderation and it would be a shame if the actions of a few trolls were allowed to destroy this place.
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Here is going well - if there are some dicks here then by all means come down heavy.

Sure wasnt I banned for a day myself ? Deservedly so!

I ventured back to Planks.com (kudos!!) and that vile LLMMLL is back polluting the forum discussions again - we don't need shite like that!!

Mods here are light of touch general;y but harsh and fair when needed and I for one am pleased with that!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane