Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Hosting fees

If you're of the view that there is a need for an old school, simple style, classic BB, with more focus on debate and discussion than bells and whistles, then gubu.ie is for you. See here for some site specific information, admin announcements, forum requests, feedback etc.
Forum rules
No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Hosting fees

Post by Hodors Appletart »

saw a comment in another thread and it just never occurred to me

do you/yiz need a hand with the fees, happy to throw a few quid at it if needed
Hold The Door
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Hosting fees

Post by kadman »

Good point.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:35 pm saw a comment in another thread and it just never occurred to me

do you/yiz need a hand with the fees, happy to throw a few quid at it if needed
The thought is very much appreciated but we're good for now, thanks!

Basically prepared to underwrite the costs involved to see if we can get this off the ground, and build something worthwhile.

All being well, at some stage the costs will become too much, but we see that as a good problem to have. At that point we'll look at what direction to go - presumably it will either be ad based or patreon type of thing. I think if we could cover the costs of the next stage of scaling up with google ads, that would be preferred option. It's unobtrusive and easy to manage.

But would be very interested to hear posters opinions on how best to fund this sort of thing long term?
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Post by Hodors Appletart »

I subbed to the old place for a few years, so whatever model you choose to go would be good with me, I do pay for some pods on Patreon too

I'm a firm believer in that if you use and enjoy something, then you should throw a few quid at it's upkeep and longevity
Hold The Door
bullets
Verified Username

Post by bullets »

With todays world where people might be paying a monthly subscription of netflix/amazon prime/phone/internet/photoshop/different sites then chuck a few patreon's in it all starts to add up. For me personally I'd rather pay a once off Fee to support a website/page I commonly use, I did it on boards years ago.

There's a networking website I use which is photography related that does not have any Advertisements, I pay 40 Euros a year for it which I think is reasonable. There is a free version which has some limitations, and also members can "gift" memberships where you could for example gift a month for 4.50 to somebody else that you know as something nice to do or to help them out etc. If this place takes off and becomes popular would like to see the same kind of model. (a few ads nobody would mind as long as things dont turn out like modern webpages where you cant see content and your spammed to death with ads everywhere)
Frank

Post by Frank »

While personally I’d be a person that believes if you want to watch/hear/use something (and it’s available to you) then you should pay for it if required, I just couldn’t see a subscription thing taking off. 99% of peoples attitude is someone else should pay but not me. I’d funnel all resources down the ad route.
Tigger
Verified Username

Post by Tigger »

I was a boards Subbu for years. I'd pay 50 a year for a decent site. We all use blockers so I don't know how ads would work.
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Tigger wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:22 am I was a boards Subbu for years. I'd pay 50 a year for a decent site. We all use blockers so I don't know how ads would work.
AD blockers can be told to ignore certain sites. But it would be nice to have the option to pay up instead.
Dave Hedgehog

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

I'd be happy to make a regular donation via Patreon if / when the time comes. Wouldn't expect anything from it. I subscribed on and off to Boards over the years and didn't get anything out of it other than a custom avatar.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I would be happy to pay a reasonable donation, or better still an annual membership fee that would entitle you to post on GUBU - free to view but pay to post - and if you act the eejit you get kicked off and NO refund. I see some unsavoury posting already creeping in and we all know where that can lead. Since I joined here I have pledged - to myself - to be less combative towards those I disagree with but if some of the trolls from the other place join....
'no more blah blah blah'