Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Some housekeeping

If you're of the view that there is a need for an old school, simple style, classic BB, with more focus on debate and discussion than bells and whistles, then gubu.ie is for you. See here for some site specific information, admin announcements, forum requests, feedback etc.
Forum rules
No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Some housekeeping

Post by Guburnor »

Some of you will have noticed the following post in the QE2 thread in the context of heavy handed policing pf protests against the royals:
Homophobes are allowed to protest at Pride and the Orange Order are allowed their grubby little parades every July. Funny where the line is drawn.
To my mind that is a totally innocuous post, but nonetheless it kicked off some very unpleasant exchanges, resulting in the permanent loss of two posters, and a seven day ban of another, who may yet request to be deleted permanently.

The only reason I can see that such an innocuous and relevant post attracted such ire, is because it was posted by somebody people don't like because of previous interactions on boards.

Please don't bring that shit here. Some posters seem to think the lighter touch modding here extends to abusing and bullying posters who slighted you on boards.

You couldn't be more wrong. The leeway you get here is to allow open discussion of subjects and opinions that tend to be censored or shouted down on other forums.

Attack the post, not the poster and don't be a dick. If you want to get a clique going to gang up on posters you dislike, go back to boards, you're not welcome here.
knownunknown

Re: Some housekeeping

Post by knownunknown »

I tried having a few exchanges that day with that poster and it was like trying to get blood it of a stone. Happened in the jordan Peterson thread also. They made a point, I countered it and then they said something like “I don’t care what they think”. This was a clear case of trolling. Honestly I say good riddance if you’re going to act like that on a discussion board.

If anyone could show me how this is anything but trolling I’d be happy to listen.

“I don't give a toss what he says. That's not proof of anything.”