Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Welcome to GUBU.ie

If you're of the view that there is a need for an old school, simple style, classic BB, with more focus on debate and discussion than bells and whistles, then gubu.ie is for you. See here for some site specific information, admin announcements, forum requests, feedback etc.
Forum rules
No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Welcome to GUBU.ie

Post by CelticRambler »

bullets wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:42 pm I'd love to see a Photography & Modeling Forum, where both Photographers & Models could network to organize shoots, or were people could ask for help and advise and of course be able to posting images to show off your work. Possibly allow members to provide image links so they could share their work Since having a 300K limit for uploads might not work out great and be frustrating.

Trying to combine a single place where,
Casual Newbies to Photography can go to seek advise/help without being looked down upon.

Models can participate without feeling like they have entered a place dominated by a bunch of middle aged photographers going full nerd and talking equipment.
Image linking is already fully functional - have a look here for some linked pics.

It's always a challenge, on a general forum, to keep all things photographic in one place. Even on The Other Site, with its dedicated Photography Forum and sub-forums, there were still photo threads scattered all over the place - gardening, birdwatching, train-spotting, bikes and cars ... ... but yeah, a "Photos for photo's sake" forum would be nice, if people post on it!
Showjumping

Post by Showjumping »

I like it. Good job.
o1s1n

Post by o1s1n »

bullets wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:42 pm Just heard about this site this morning when out for a cycle with a buddy. I used to be pretty active on boards back in 2001 but along the way something changed and the moderation style and threads being locked at the slightest thing got a bit too much and I stopped logging in, just googled my old profile and I was surprised I had not posted since about 2013. Was looking for a similar style discussion site as boards alternative hopefully this place will be successful, and maybe draw some people who have been less active on Irish discussion boards the last few years.

If were allowed to request more forum categories.
I'd love to see a Photography & Modeling Forum, where both Photographers & Models could network to organize shoots, or were people could ask for help and advise and of course be able to posting images to show off your work. Possibly allow members to provide image links so they could share their work Since having a 300K limit for uploads might not work out great and be frustrating.

Trying to combine a single place where,
Casual Newbies to Photography can go to seek advise/help without being looked down upon.

Models can participate without feeling like they have entered a place dominated by a bunch of middle aged photographers going full nerd and talking equipment.

People that do non-model type photography like Landscapes, Street, Macro, architectural etc are not left out

~B
Jaysus there's a name I haven't seen in years, hope you're doing well!

Decided to sign up to this place myself, would love if a gaming category could get going. We've an absolutely fantastic Arcade and Retro community over on boards that has really dropped in posts (along with the rest of the site) since the changeover to Vanilla. Really sad to see.
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Post by Jimmy Bottlehead »

o1s1n wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:20 pm Jaysus there's a name I haven't seen in years, hope you're doing well!

Decided to sign up to this place myself, would love if a gaming category could get going. We've an absolutely fantastic Arcade and Retro community over on boards that has really dropped in posts (along with the rest of the site) since the changeover to Vanilla. Really sad to see.
Was hoping I'd see one of the Arcade and Retro heads over here! I don't post there often, but I like to dip in and out. Would be great to see it here, O1s1n.
bullets
Verified Username

Post by bullets »

o1s1n wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:20 pm Jaysus there's a name I haven't seen in years, hope you're doing well!

Hey O1s1n,

Ol bullets is still about! although I stopped collecting Airsoft Guns and a good while back I sold my Real Steel Guns too! as they were not getting used too often and I've an 8 year old with Autism that is too curious about guns, so they needed to go, but I found them a good home with one of the boards.ie moderators that used to moderate one of the gaming forums!

Yeah left boards years ago, I stopped collecting airsoft guns after realizing I'd spent over 30K on the damn things and needed a reality check! I'd have my mortgage paid off by now if I had not spend all my spare cash! still have a stash up on the attic! over the years the cheap alloy used in many airsoft guns did not fair well with time! and various guns would have bits break off them due to brittle metal which was a shame.

I remember you had something that was very collectable in the Airsoft world an Gas Powered FN FAL that was discontinued if I recall! I cant remember the brand name! Jaq? Jac? or something. I can see now HPA is starting to become something airsofters can use! wish it was popular back when I was a bit more active.

This place so far looks very oldschool and I'm liking the vibe so far!
Would love to see the Airsoft guys port over, and also
a 3d Printing Forum, (I'm bloody loving Liquid Resin MSLA printing at the moment)
I bloody love nostalgia and Retro so defo a forum for that,
gaming/mmo discussion forum
Photography forum
Model forum (ie Male/female models looking to network with photographers)
Modelling forum (nerdy warhammer types)

~B
o1s1n

Post by o1s1n »

bullets wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:32 pm Hey O1s1n,

Ol bullets is still about! although I stopped collecting Airsoft Guns and a good while back I sold my Real Steel Guns too! as they were not getting used too often and I've an 8 year old with Autism that is too curious about guns, so they needed to go, but I found them a good home with one of the boards.ie moderators that used to moderate one of the gaming forums!

Yeah left boards years ago, I stopped collecting airsoft guns after realizing I'd spent over 30K on the damn things and needed a reality check! I'd have my mortgage paid off by now if I had not spend all my spare cash! still have a stash up on the attic! over the years the cheap alloy used in many airsoft guns did not fair well with time! and various guns would have bits break off them due to brittle metal which was a shame.

I remember you had something that was very collectable in the Airsoft world an Gas Powered FN FAL that was discontinued if I recall! I cant remember the brand name! Jaq? Jac? or something. I can see now HPA is starting to become something airsofters can use! wish it was popular back when I was a bit more active.

This place so far looks very oldschool and I'm liking the vibe so far!
Would love to see the Airsoft guys port over, and also
a 3d Printing Forum, (I'm bloody loving Liquid Resin MSLA printing at the moment)
I bloody love nostalgia and Retro so defo a forum for that,
gaming/mmo discussion forum
Photography forum
Model forum (ie Male/female models looking to network with photographers)
Modelling forum (nerdy warhammer types)

~B
You had one of the largest airsoft collections going alright! 30k though? jesus! hah, that's something else.

Yeah the cheap pot metal does not age well does it? Zinc pest I think it's called, the stuff just falls apart. Rather interestingly, a lot of my primarily plastic stuff from back in 2006/2007 is still running fine but the metal stuff isn't faring the best.

That's right, I had a JAC FAL! - still have that one actually and it's thankfully made mostly of steel and plastic so isn't falling apart! Unfortunately my King Arms FAL hasn't been so lucky, broke on me a couple of years ago and they still haven't rereleased it, so it's pretty impossible to get any kind of airsoft FAL these days. VFC are meant to be making a fully stamped steel gas one that you run off gas magazines later in the year, looks amazing. Google 'VFC LAR' for info on that.

I actually got back into airsoft myself just before the virus hit believe it or not, had been away from it for well over ten years. Been heading up to some sites around Wicklow the odd weekend with a gang of mates, having an absolute blast with it. We did a 12 hour Vietnam milsim event at the start of the summer.
bullets
Verified Username

Post by bullets »

o1s1n wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:49 pm You had one of the largest airsoft collections going alright! 30k though? jesus! hah, that's something else.

Yeah the cheap pot metal does not age well does it? Zinc pest I think it's called, the stuff just falls apart. Rather interestingly, a lot of my primarily plastic stuff from back in 2006/2007 is still running fine but the metal stuff isn't faring the best.

That's right, I had a JAC FAL! - still have that one actually and it's thankfully made mostly of steel and plastic so isn't falling apart! Unfortunately my King Arms FAL hasn't been so lucky, broke on me a couple of years ago and they still haven't rereleased it, so it's pretty impossible to get any kind of airsoft FAL these days. VFC are meant to be making a fully stamped steel gas one that you run off gas magazines later in the year, looks amazing. Google 'VFC LAR' for info on that.

I actually got back into airsoft myself just before the virus hit believe it or not, had been away from it for well over ten years. Been heading up to some sites around Wicklow the odd weekend with a gang of mates, having an absolute blast with it. We did a 12 hour Vietnam milsim event at the start of the summer.
The King Arms and Star/Ares mags had a tendency to break easily in the few skirmishes I used them for (top plate/lips being plastic Grrrrr). Had seen some ads/pics for a Gas FAL or L1A1 while back and was tempted but have not kept track of things...........a weird surprise was that airsofteire now announced they have a model store sitting on top of their airsoft store and from the pics they have a fully stocked up shop which is fantastic! Nerd Heaven!
o1s1n

Post by o1s1n »

bullets wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:25 pm ...........a weird surprise was that airsofteire now announced they have a model store sitting on top of their airsoft store and from the pics they have a fully stocked up shop which is fantastic! Nerd Heaven!
From one expensive addiction and then up the stairs to a second expensive addiction. :lol:
History Queen
Verified Username

Post by History Queen »

Really glad to see this site. Frequent user of Boards and really disappointed to see what has become of it. Well done to all involved.

Can we have an Education forum here as opposed to a Teaching/Lecturing one so that a broader range of views could be heard, rather thann becoming an echo chamber, with perhaps a restricted access Staffroom thread for blowing off steam(and maybe a bit of being anecho chamber🙈) ? That's my wish list anyway 😬😅
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

After reading the OP and FAQ I have to ask; What does GUBU stand for anyway?
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Post by Hodors Appletart »

Grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre, unprecedented
Hold The Door
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Séimhe wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:50 am After reading the OP and FAQ I have to ask; What does GUBU stand for anyway?
The phrase grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre and unprecedented was paraphrased from a comment by then Taoiseach Charles Haughey, while describing a strange series of incidents in the summer of 1982 that led to a double-murderer, Malcolm MacArthur, being apprehended in the house of the Irish Attorney General Patrick Connolly.

It was a bizarre happening, an unprecedented situation, a grotesque situation, an almost unbelievable mischance.[1]

The corresponding acronym, GUBU, was coined by Conor Cruise O'Brien, and both it and the phrase are still occasionally used in Irish political discourse to describe notorious scandals
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUBU
FionnK86fromboards

Post by FionnK86fromboards »

This looks great folks, CelticRambler sent me a message to join here.

Could we get a Bargain Alerts [Requests] forum? I'm too shy to start one myself!

Post by 765489 »

FionnK86fromboards wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:34 pm This looks great folks, CelticRambler sent me a message to join here.

Could we get a Bargain Alerts [Requests] forum? I'm too shy to start one myself!
Continental Op already has one set up. If you scroll down the forum listing.

Which reminds me I should go in and see what bargain he's posted today :mrgreen:
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

FionnK86fromboards wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:34 pm This looks great folks, CelticRambler sent me a message to join here.

Welcome to GUBU. Don't be shy.
notfromhere
Verified Username

Post by notfromhere »

Nearly at 500
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

Can someone tell me in layman terms, whats the difference between subscribing and bookmarking a thread. TIA
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Subscribing means that you're actively following a discussion and have the option of being notified every time there's a new contribution to the thread. It shows up in one list, and is subject to your default settings for all subscribed threads.
Bookmarking is a way of saving a particular thread on another list (accessible through the User Control Panel) so that you can keep it for future reference, without (necessarily) being notified of new posts.
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Feature request: mute / snooze thread. Some topics are so popular that they occupy the "recent activity" section for what feels like eternity. For someone not interested in those issues, it would be great to mute or temporarily snooze them (weeks/months) and have a more dynamic "recent activity" section as a result. I find it more encouraging to engage when the recents are less static but that's a result of the success of GUBU.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I'm getting 403. Maybe I am banned ;)
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

isha wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:24 pm I'm getting 403. Maybe I am banned ;)
Where are you getting the 403?

Post by 490808 »

Maybe it was tied up with the site getting very slow around the same time?

But its all back to normal now.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Guburnor wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:18 pm Where are you getting the 403?
It was in both Television and Movies sub forums. There was just one post that would not post so I copied it to a word doc and tried to post it in different places. Still would not. I put in this post about the 403 and it posted so I thought hmmm. Went back, still that specific post would not work. So I broke it up to see if there was a combination of words triggering it. The last movie title would not post within the body of the post. It would work if I left it out. :lol: Then it accepted it on its own.
I don't know. Just some random thing I suppose.
No problem. It's sorted.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

This site looks good. Id seen rumours that a new, better forum had started.
I'm hoping there's going to be an Art/Architecture forum as they crudely deleted the whole thing on Boards some years back and as for Archiseek . . . Talk about running something into the ground!
Thanks and congrats on setting up GUBU.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Apelles wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:44 pm This site looks good. Id seen rumours that a new, better forum had started.
I'm hoping there's going to be an Art/Architecture forum as they crudely deleted the whole thing on Boards some years back and as for Archiseek . . . Talk about running something into the ground!
Thanks and congrats on setting up GUBU.
I don't know if there is a specific forum but we have
poems viewtopic.php?f=4&t=949
paintings viewtopic.php?f=15&t=625
archaeology viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27
and I'm sure the rest can fill you in on the other similar stuff.
You could always set up something Architectural yourself - a thread.
Maybe there should be a culture forum where such threads can be gathered.