Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Welcome to GUBU.ie

If you're of the view that there is a need for an old school, simple style, classic BB, with more focus on debate and discussion than bells and whistles, then gubu.ie is for you. See here for some site specific information, admin announcements, forum requests, feedback etc.
Forum rules
No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to GUBU.ie

Post by Guburnor »

BettyBee wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:24 pm is it possible to "like/thank" a post?
Hi yes it is, just not in the announcement posts - i.e this one!
Screenshot 2021-07-23 at 00.26.34.png
Screenshot 2021-07-23 at 00.26.34.png (18.58 KiB) Viewed 9877 times
The thumbs up on the right thanks a post.
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

awe ok thanks
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

BettyBee wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:56 am Hi there, this is super - woo hoo...

Any plans to have a "Regional" forum?
Hi, yes in time, though we'll probably not go quite so local as other places. In the meantime feel free to create threads on any subject at all in Any Other Business. If and when the topic gets traction we'll create a dedicated forum. Keen not to have lots of empty forums at the minute, if that makes sense?
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

sure - absolutely - thanks
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

First post and happy to be here :) I'm very much liking the simple, easy to negotiate format.

It might have been mentioned somewhere already, but I'm curious about the name GUBU? Does it mean something or how was it chosen?
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” Anne Lamott
archfi
Verified Username

Post by archfi »

CuisleBeat wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:03 pm First post and happy to be here :) I'm very much liking the simple, easy to negotiate format.

It might have been mentioned somewhere already, but I'm curious about the name GUBU? Does it mean something or how was it chosen?
It's a great name for an Irish based forum :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUBU
grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre and unprecedented
As a metaphor for the establishment of the site in respect of what occurred 'across the way', it's hilarious :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

Great, thanks - yes, very apt. :D
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” Anne Lamott
notfromhere
Verified Username

Post by notfromhere »

Just like to say a big thank you to the people behind this.
Cj maxx

Post by Cj maxx »

Guburnor wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:27 pm Hi yes it is, just not in the announcement posts - i.e this one!

Screenshot 2021-07-23 at 00.26.34.png

The thumbs up on the right thanks a post.
Is that only on desktop. On the phone I can't see a thumbs up
Cheers for the site.
Is the a afterhours equivalent ?
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Post by Jimmy Bottlehead »

I don't think Thumbs Ups are in this particular forum, but they're in all the normal threads.

And there's an actual After Hours about half way down the main page.
Signore Fancy Pants
Verified Username

Post by Signore Fancy Pants »

Well isn't this a much more straightforward experience!
NickNickleby
Verified Username

Post by NickNickleby »

Aaah...GUBU, Charlie Haughey and Malcolm McArthur (or rather the then Attorney General) if memory serves .

Anyway, its good to be here. I'll continue to use the eh 'other site' until all the people I like have come over here. To be fair, i found the 'Help' forums (DIY, Motoring ,Motorbiking, Electrics, Broadband, Plumbing etc) very VERY good. People in the know were happy to share their expertise without resorting to looking down their noses and smart alecky put downs.

In other forums,I did feel there was an element of groupthink which seemed to be encouraged and , shall we call it 'freethinking' was discouraged á la 1984.

I'm going to watch very closely for certain posters migrating across, and even if they use a new username, their contentious argumentative posting style will blow their cover immediately. Totally killing the atmosphere in what could be interesting and informative threads.

Of course, its possible that (quite unconsciously of course) I'm one of them :oops: :lol:

anyway, whoever created this - Well Done.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Good to see some familiar user names, looking forward to locking horns with old adversaries. Not so much looking forward to spending all my money on crap in Bargain Alerts. :D
Pelvis Parsley
Verified Username

Post by Pelvis Parsley »

It's so quick to navigate here-no slowness, just an honest to god message board.
Shlippery

Post by Shlippery »

May have missed it but - origins of the name Gubu?
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Shlippery wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:41 pm May have missed it but - origins of the name Gubu?
The phrase grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre and unprecedented was paraphrased from a comment by then Taoiseach Charles Haughey, while describing a strange series of incidents in the summer of 1982 that led to a double-murderer, Malcolm MacArthur, being apprehended in the house of the Irish Attorney General Patrick Connolly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUBU
Macca

Post by Macca »

Really like this new site, nice work. RIP the other place unfortunately.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Well done with this site. How about an Outdoor Pursuits forum, maybe under Hobbies?
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

Great new site, well done!
What about a health and fitness /exercise Forum?

Thanks!
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

@Dec A Wash and @Clurickeen - thanks for the encouragement. Please do start threads on these and any other topics in Any Other Business, and once we have a few we'll create the forums. Keen not to have too many empty forums at the minute!
bullets
Verified Username

Post by bullets »

Just heard about this site this morning when out for a cycle with a buddy. I used to be pretty active on boards back in 2001 but along the way something changed and the moderation style and threads being locked at the slightest thing got a bit too much and I stopped logging in, just googled my old profile and I was surprised I had not posted since about 2013. Was looking for a similar style discussion site as boards alternative hopefully this place will be successful, and maybe draw some people who have been less active on Irish discussion boards the last few years.

If were allowed to request more forum categories.
I'd love to see a Photography & Modeling Forum, where both Photographers & Models could network to organize shoots, or were people could ask for help and advise and of course be able to posting images to show off your work. Possibly allow members to provide image links so they could share their work Since having a 300K limit for uploads might not work out great and be frustrating.

Trying to combine a single place where,
Casual Newbies to Photography can go to seek advise/help without being looked down upon.

Models can participate without feeling like they have entered a place dominated by a bunch of middle aged photographers going full nerd and talking equipment.

People that do non-model type photography like Landscapes, Street, Macro, architectural etc are not left out

~B
Last edited by bullets on Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shield
Verified Username

Post by Shield »

An Emergency Services forum would be nice if possible please and thanks?
dawg

Post by dawg »

Shield wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:57 pm An Emergency Services forum would be nice if possible please and thanks?

Sorry, couldnt resist
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Shield wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:57 pm An Emergency Services forum would be nice if possible please and thanks?
Do feel free to start Emergency Services threads in AOB, once we have a few popular threads we'll create the forum no problem.
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Well done putting this together. Very impressive and an absolute pleasure to use on mobile.

Thanks to the mods too, it's not a job I would like to have to do!

Best of luck.