Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

If you're of the view that there is a need for an old school, simple style, classic BB, with more focus on debate and discussion than bells and whistles, then gubu.ie is for you. See here for some site specific information, admin announcements, forum requests, feedback etc.
Forum rules
No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Re: Feedback: Gubu censorship

Post by Guburnor »

Biggins wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:40 pm I'm very sad to see that it appears the Guburnator is following down the same route as boards by censoring discussion. It started with editing posts and snipping any mention of users (including admins) from planks. It's a joke and not why most of us joined here.

Why is this happening? Almost all the users here are ex-boardsies and it is natural we would discuss another site.

Do the same rules apply about Reddit, twitter, politics.ie or is it just boards? Have you received legal threats. Why is this happening?

Please don't discuss boards on this thread as I don't want an excuse to be banned.
First up, there have been no legal threats. Purely a decision based on a number of personal preferences of how I think this site should be run.
Do the same rules apply about Reddit, twitter, politics.ie or is it just boards?
It is just boards that is banned.

The same three simple rules apply to Reddit, twitter, politics.ie and any other sites or topics you care to discuss:
Forum rules: No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.
Somebody obviously has to decide whether a post is in breach of these rules, and currently that is me. Luckily for me on every single topic other than boards.ie it is pretty rare that I think these rules have been broken, so modding is pretty easy.

Unfortunately most of the discussion concerning boards on this site is breaches these rules, and that is not only a pain in the ass that I am sick of, but I also think it is off putting to new users.

We could argue all day long back and forth on what constitutes being a dick, but it is inarguable that a large chunk of the posts on the boards thread were attacking the poster rather than the post, and they weren't even posters on this site that were being attacked!

As I've said for a long time on both the megathread and previous threads I gave a little more leeway on this subject as I hoped it would peter out over time, but it seems to be increasing recently so there is no more leeway.

I said in OP of the megathread, in deliberately harsh and potentially inflammatory language, as I wanted hammer home the point:
If you think this is heavy handed censorship, and you're unable to understand how the above posting style constitutes being a dick, then it is no wonder you were banned from boards and you're not welcome here either.
I still believe this. I have zero interest in running a forum dominated by disgruntled ex-boardsies who see this as a safe space to mouth off about their grudges against boards.

You said:
I'm very sad to see that it appears the Guburnator is following down the same route as boards by censoring discussion. It started with editing posts and snipping any mention of users (including admins) from planks. It's a joke and not why most of us joined here.
Why exactly did you join?

You joined this site in Sept 21 and have made 30 posts since then, 76% of your posts have been about boards. And there others who have 100% records on posts about boards.

I have no wish to lose you as a poster, I'd rather you stay and engage in other discussions and the same is true of those members whose posting record is 100% about boards.

But if you and others decide that you are turning your back on gubu because you're no longer able to post about boards, and such heavy handed censorship offends you, that's OK too.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

The Whistleblower wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:18 pm We are all big enough and ugly enough to know that outright abuse, doxxing, too much idle gossip isn’t ok.
The accusations of doxxing were ridiculous, that never happened, but the problem was and the reason thread locked is that when it comes to the topic of boards there are just too many posters who are not big enough and ugly enough to know that outright abuse and too much idle gossip isn't ok.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Johnny Von Pintland wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:48 pm My only advice to the owner- this site would have been long gone or down to a few trainspotters if it wasn’t for that Boards thread. It’s the raison d'être (French) of the site.
I'd rather cater to a handful of trainspotters than a plethora of people giving out about boards. It was locked precisely because I could see it was becoming too dominant.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

knownunknown wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:15 pm I believe most people were looking for the ability to have conversations without censorship, while still being boardslike.
Exactly the reason this site was formed. So posters could have good natured, reasonable and rational discussions on a wide range of subjects with differing points of view without being censored.

I have reluctantly censored one subject because it was most of it was not good natured, reasonable or rational.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Biggins wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:19 pm The "hate site" moniker I presume comes from all the anti foreigner stuff rather than anything to do with discussing boards.
The hate site thing I suspect does come from the hate levelled at boards and it's posters to be honest.

But if it is stem from allowing other opinions on immigration etc, then I'm ok with it, and happy to defend the accusation.

The problem I have is that I agree with a lot of the criticism of the site that there is too much anti boards hate going on. I can't defend that accusation.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:33 pm Given your delightful use of the English language I find it hard to believe that you received the benefit of a third level education in TCD or anywhere else for that matter.
🤣🤣
Del sticking in the knife and noone noticed,perhaps the best burn seen so far on GUBU👌
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Leg End Reject
Verified Username

Post by Leg End Reject »

I'm not banned from Boards and I know that a lot of genuine posters there believe Gubu is just an anti-Boards site, it does stop them signing up here.

Some of the posts were linking posts from posters there and abusing them, there was no ambiguity, it was obvious who was being discussed. I find the level of vitriol a minority here have bemusing and don't understand why they don't start threads here and contribute more to others.

That's just my opinion mind, but I'd love to know if anything was posted about me (without trying to searchfor it). 🤣
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Boards? Meh. The owners ruined it. I couldn’t care less if it went offline in the morning and wouldn’t be bothered if it was never mentioned again here either.

Censorship? No.

No more discussion about the dead horse or those who flog it? Fine by me.
The Kitchen Sink

Post by The Kitchen Sink »

Leg End Reject wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:22 pm That's just my opinion mind, but I'd love to know if anything was posted about me (without trying to searchfor it). 🤣
I've just done a search on my old Boards username and found one post saying something nice about me which felt nice but now I think there should actually be loads of them so I'm considering flouncing off the site over this egregious lack of praise. I'll keep yizz all updated in my no doubt long, drawn out and attention seeking flounce. Stay tuned.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Leg End Reject wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:22 pm
That's just my opinion mind, but I'd love to know if anything was posted about me (without trying to searchfor it). 🤣
viewtopic.php?p=31702#p31702

Page 2, scroll down. I gave you a thumbs up 😎 but I also dissed others 😏😞
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I have to say I disagree with the decision but rules are rules and will obey.

I will just say that pricking the bubble of sheer pomposity over there was a form of bonding experience here - we weren't "hating" a person per se, but when you are specifically warned IN BOLD CAPITALS no less - that "this is the forum to discuss refugees, anyone discussing asylum seekers will be THREADBANNED!!" - that is utter bull and should be called out and mocked!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:31 pm You are inaccurate in reporting what I said - I did not say that "everybody knows the real identity of everybody else" I referred to the C+T forum where most if not all regulars knew my identity.

As for tumbleweed and you being a member here for over two years....you've managed just 163 posts....you obviously have nothing to say? If the regular posters here had contributed at the same level we would indeed be in tumbleweed terrority. :roll:
Jaysus did I touch a nerve.
BTW there are only a few threads that I see worth engaging in.
For instance the sport's section only thread with traffic seems to be about those shower of feckers in Manchester.
And yes I am not great at starting threads, maybe it is a mindset I inherited from years on some other forums.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Its been so long since I ticked the T&C's to join boards, I cant remember what they were. But would imagine one was to obey boards rules. no matter what. And I must have ticked that too. No matter what the rule was, if I broke it, I was out, banned. End off, it doesn't matter what I thought of the rule. It was the mod, and you wont fight that.

So why bother trying, if its such a disrespectful site to some, then why throw your toys out of the pram to get back there.
Personally I wouldn't stay here if it was developing into a launching platform for insults towards boards by upset ex boards members. I think there is enough talent here to have an interesting site for everyone.

And to those who think this site will go quiet if the boards thread is not let be the engine to drive it.
I say to you, go off and set up your own "we dont like boards modding".com. Set up the thread, and thrash the lard out of boards for a while, and when yer done in a week or two, sit down and watch the tumble weed roll in. And when you think boards is all there is, go back there with yer begging bowl for forgiveness.

I can tell you where in boards the secret meetings take place, if you learn the iffy handshakes ;) but you would have to be members of the order of the rosy croix to get in.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I hope this is in order, I mention "the other place" for context - I posted in the gender theory thread recently that I rejoined there as an experiment.

<SNIP>
Last edited by Guburnor on Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: If you want to bitch about boards.ie please do it some place else.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I hope this is in order...................and then post before you get an answer, is surely tempting fate :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

kadman wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:23 am I hope this is in order...................and then post before you get an answer, is surely tempting fate :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Censored while discussing censorship. Hmm.

Could you have not just censored the name - the rest of the points are valid.

Post by 4589236 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:51 am Censored while discussing censorship. Hmm.

In my time as a Boards moderator and indeed CMod we’d encounter posters like you. Just an enormous time and emotional energy timesink.

There’s pretty much one rule in this thread, you don’t name ,identify, intimate the name of, or doxx Boards.ie posters. Like it’s simple yet you continue to ignore and break that rule. <SNIP>
Last edited by Guburnor on Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Attack the post, not the poster.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:51 am Censored while discussing censorship. Hmm.

In fairness, it’s a month or so since the last post in this thread. There wasn’t anything in the removed part of your post that was in any way related to anything under moderation here on Gubu, so saying you were posting for context and then just referencing moderation on another forum was kind of pointless, to my eyes anyway. It really wasn’t ‘valid’ on any objective scale.

You know Gub is fed-up having to deal with posts about that other forum. You’re an intelligent woman, clearly, so maybe it’s time to just respect a reasonable rule which is there for the benefit of everyone. I really do understand how these things get under your skin, but the solution is really simple; Stop using that forum in any way and you’ll be less wound up by the nonsense that goes on there.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Skating close to the edge has a nasty habit of backfiring............. :lol: :lol: :lol:
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

I was censored and banned for a post about boards recently… from last year! To be fair gubunor has since apologised and realised the date on the post. I don’t agree with this but I’ll abide by the rules as I kind of like this place and how it’s going.

If gubuonor thinks this will help the site then I’ll agree to the rule but I don’t think it will. It just stands out as a sore thumb, a topic that can’t be discussed on a forum that sets itself apart as a place where things can be discussed.

It’s like looking for sugar free sweets but finding out they have just a little sugar in them, why would you want them?

For clarity I believe you can have discussions on topics while still having rules surrounding those discussions, I’m not looking for an ‘anything goes’.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

knownunknown wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:35 pm I was censored and banned for a post about boards recently… from last year! To be fair gubunor has since apologised and realised the date on the post. I don’t agree with this but I’ll abide by the rules as I kind of like this place and how it’s going.

If gubuonor thinks this will help the site then I’ll agree to the rule but I don’t think it will. It just stands out as a sore thumb, a topic that can’t be discussed on a forum that sets itself apart as a place where things can be discussed.

It’s like looking for sugar free sweets but finding out they have just a little sugar in them, why would you want them?

For clarity I believe you can have discussions on topics while still having rules surrounding those discussions, I’m not looking for an ‘anything goes’.
If using something as an example of ridiculous levels of pointless censorship then gets censored I do believe I’ve made my point. I would argue more users are happy to be able to mention it than not.

Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:18 pm If using something as an example of ridiculous levels of pointless censorship then gets censored I do believe I’ve made my point. I would argue more users are happy to be able to mention it than not.
Your post was just a whinge about boards modding. It had zero relevance to this thread. Can you please drop it?
mrmercedes

Post by mrmercedes »

If people want to talk about boards , why don't they just do that on boards and stay over there.

Don't see the relevance at all here really.
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

mrmercedes wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:38 pm If people want to talk about boards , why don't they just do that on boards and stay over there.

Don't see the relevance at all here really.
Ultimately a clean break is needed from a festering kip of little import, back on topic although I don't always necessarily agree with his methods Guburnor has to draw the line somewhere.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
Fugue

Post by Fugue »

mrmercedes wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:38 pm If people want to talk about boards , why don't they just do that on boards and stay over there.
Well they can't - it's so censorious. This place did offer a space for venting in fairness, but I can understand the desire to move on.