Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

If you're of the view that there is a need for an old school, simple style, classic BB, with more focus on debate and discussion than bells and whistles, then gubu.ie is for you. See here for some site specific information, admin announcements, forum requests, feedback etc.
Forum rules
No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.
Biggins

Post by Biggins »

I'm very sad to see that it appears the Guburnator is following down the same route as boards by censoring discussion. It started with editing posts and snipping any mention of users (including admins) from planks. It's a joke and not why most of us joined here.

Why is this happening? Almost all the users here are ex-boardsies and it is natural we would discuss another site.

Do the same rules apply about Reddit, twitter, politics.ie or is it just boards? Have you received legal threats. Why is this happening?

Please don't discuss boards on this thread as I don't want an excuse to be banned.
knownunknown

Re: Feedback: Gubu censorship

Post by knownunknown »

Biggins wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:40 pm I'm very sad to see that it appears the Guburnator is following down the same route as boards by censoring discussion. It started with editing posts and snipping any mention of users (including admins) from planks. It's a joke and not why most of us joined here.

Why is this happening? Almost all the users here are ex-boardsies and it is natural we would discuss another site.

Do the same rules apply about Reddit, twitter, politics.ie or is it just boards? Have you received legal threats. Why is this happening?

Please don't discuss boards on this thread as I don't want an excuse to be banned.
I can understand editing out mentions of users or banning people that constantly name them, but to ban discussion of a subject based on the behaviour of a few individuals is boardslike, it’s what gives power to the trolls.

Post by 4589236 »

I’d agree. Like outright abuse of someone isn’t on, but harsh criticism of a poster or there opinions should be allowed.

There have been numerous threads of Reddit over the years where posters on Boards have been named: Beasty, Aongus Von Skidmark, Pighead etc.

The Gub is doing a fine job in keeping moderating decisions to a minimum around here, but I don’t think the decision to close the thread or to not allow the naming of posters is the correct one. We are all big enough and ugly enough to know that outright abuse, doxxing, too much idle gossip isn’t ok.
Glaceon
Verified Username

Post by Glaceon »

I can understand where the admin is coming from. It should shake off any impression that this is a “hate site” and help it stand on its own two feet.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Come on seriously, it was a non stop roll call of identifiable people on boards. No matter how much people were warned not to get personal, it always ended up in bitter or mocking vendetta posts.

It's perfectly possible to start a thread about boards on Twitter or Reddit or Politics ie if that's what people want to give out about all the time. Go ahead.

I can see the reasoning behind closing the thread. And not allowing infiltration of the boards stuff into other threads by banning mention of it, because infiltration is exactly what would happen. Providing that outlet attracts some people with a specific grudge and sometimes not much else to offer.

But anyway 🤷
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Far too much time has been spent ranting on about the other place on GUBU and if the same effort was expended by those posters into creating new threads this place would be humming. I have no love for the other place where I was trolled unmercifully by certain pond life who were never held to account and it was more damaging to me on a reputational level than I suspect most others here who are complaining about Guburnator's welcome decision. Most people on the C + T forums knew my real identity, indeed I never tried to hide it. If I can move on why can't the rest of you?

+100 for Guburnator - patience personified.
'no more blah blah blah'
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

I don't see any harm in such a discussion,and felt what eventually caused it to be closed was tame enough,considering what rethoric recently went seemingly unactioned🧐

Though as Del says,if posters put Same effort into participating,and creating fun & serious content as they do in talking about planks,place would be hopping and quickly take over

I think the effort to ban discussion on it,will eventually see it being alluded to/ruin threads with wink-wink innuendo type posting instead....whereas a general thread would confine it to a singular thread🤷
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Johnny Von Pintland

Post by Johnny Von Pintland »

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

The only inaccuracy here was suggesting I went to NUIG. I’m not stupid, Trinners man here. Maybe some of the other so-called scutter junkies did. The idea we are all the one poster or indeed in cahoots at all is laughable and a sign of a paranoid mind.

My only advice to the owner- this site would have been long gone or down to a few trainspotters if it wasn’t for that Boards thread. It’s the raison d'être (French) of the site.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:23 pm Far too much time has been spent ranting on about the other place on GUBU and if the same effort was expended by those posters into creating new threads this place would be humming. I have no love for the other place where I was trolled unmercifully by certain pond life who were never held to account and it was more damaging to me on a reputational level than I suspect most others here who are complaining about Guburnator's welcome decision. Most people on the C + T forums knew my real identity, indeed I never tried to hide it. If I can move on why can't the rest of you?

+100 for Guburnator - patience personified.
Would it be humming ?
Hell being honest I have been on here for over two years and bar a few threads you often expect a tumbleweed gif to be on the front page.

And where are you getting the information that everyone knows the real identity of everyone else.

I don't know who the feck you are or anything about you bar maybe that you like pineapples out of cans.

Likewise I don't who this infamous NUIG crowd are, accept that I as an ex UCG/NUIG head thankfully was never invited to join their circle jerk.

Back to subject I think it is the wrong thing to do to start banning topics.
I would hazard a guess that is why most if not all of us are here in the first place.

And even if we reference usernames, how many of us know exactly who they are.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Johnny Von Pintland wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:48 pm Maybe some of the OTHER so-called scutter junkies did.
Oh dear, betrayeth by thine own hand.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Biggins wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:40 pm I'm very sad to see that it appears the Guburnator is following down the same route as boards by censoring discussion. It started with editing posts and snipping any mention of users (including admins) from planks. It's a joke and not why most of us joined here.

I'm a little pressed for time right now, but will reply and explain my thinking in full later on.

I'm just swinging by to say nobody is going to get banned for discussing boards in this thread in context of my decision to ban the topic.

But I will ban anybody who uses the thread as a means to engage in the sort of crap that the thread locked and the topic banned in the first place.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Why oh why does this remind me of how someone turns up every time a certain site is mentioned ...

[media]https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Ho96KNvOfvU[/media]
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Johnny Von Pintland wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:48 pm The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

The only inaccuracy here was suggesting I went to NUIG. I’m not stupid, Trinners man here. Maybe some of the other so-called scutter junkies did. The idea we are all the one poster or indeed in cahoots at all is laughable and a sign of a paranoid mind.

My only advice to the owner- this site would have been long gone or down to a few trainspotters if it wasn’t for that Boards thread. It’s the raison d'être (French) of the site.
The raison d'être of the site shouldn’t be confused with its popular threads, otherwise boards would be classified as a trump appreciation society.

I believe most people were looking for the ability to have conversations without censorship, while still being boardslike. The ability to have a laugh with each other and not take anything too seriously. Some people ruined that over there and maybe this is gubunor’s way of stopping it happening here.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

I don't think GUBU will ever be close to hopping/humming and that is a major part of why boards and boards mods and posters get talked about so much here. If GUBU gained traction, GUBU posters would quickly stop giving a crap about boards or at the very least the non boards posts would drown out the boards ones.

GUBU will, unfortunately, not gain traction IMO due to web forums being a dying format. Boards is dying but is an institution of sorts and still has life to it. Posters here have history on boards, boards is controversial and annoying yet people can't stay away from it. It is therefore inevitable that one of the most popular topics on GUBU is.....boards. I'm guilty of that too and cringe a bit when I see that my most active thread on here is the boards megathread.

I see where Guburnor is coming from making a stand by banning boards discussion but I think all it will achieve is make GUBU even quieter.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

jmayo wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:56 pm Would it be humming ?
Hell being honest I have been on here for over two years and bar a few threads you often expect a tumbleweed gif to be on the front page.

And where are you getting the information that everyone knows the real identity of everyone else.

I don't know who the feck you are or anything about you bar maybe that you like pineapples out of cans.

Likewise I don't who this infamous NUIG crowd are, accept that I as an ex UCG/NUIG head thankfully was never invited to join their circle jerk.

Back to subject I think it is the wrong thing to do to start banning topics.
I would hazard a guess that is why most if not all of us are here in the first place.

And even if we reference usernames, how many of us know exactly who they are.
You are inaccurate in reporting what I said - I did not say that "everybody knows the real identity of everybody else" I referred to the C+T forum where most if not all regulars knew my identity.

As for tumbleweed and you being a member here for over two years....you've managed just 163 posts....you obviously have nothing to say? If the regular posters here had contributed at the same level we would indeed be in tumbleweed terrority. :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Johnny Von Pintland wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:48 pm The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

Given your delightful use of the English language I find it hard to believe that you received the benefit of a third level education in TCD or anywhere else for that matter.
'no more blah blah blah'
Johnny Von Pintland

Post by Johnny Von Pintland »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:33 pm Given your delightful use of the English language I find it hard to believe that you received the benefit of a third level education in TCD or anywhere else for that matter.
You don’t need a maths degree to know what a 1:1 from Trinners adds up to, my friend. Followed by a MSc and a PhD from the same institution. Writing in a casual way on a message board doesn’t imply a lack of education.

What did you study? A Diploma in Train Spotting from West Wales Polytechnic?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Johnny Von Pintland wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:44 pm You don’t need a maths degree to know what a 1:1 from Trinners adds up to, my friend. Followed by a MSc and a PhD from the same institution. Writing in a casual way on a message board doesn’t imply a lack of education.

What did you study? A Diploma in Train Spotting from West Wales Polytechnic?
Careful now, your snobby class consciousness is hanging all the way out 😳
The Kitchen Sink

Post by The Kitchen Sink »

This is already going the way of an average Boards Help Desk thread.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:59 pm Oh dear, betrayeth by thine own hand.
Hoisted by one’s own Pintard you might say …!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
The Kitchen Sink

Post by The Kitchen Sink »

It probably was the right decision in my opinion. Just look at the second last post in the thread as an example of the exact sort of thing the admin repeatedly warned against, a needless attack on someone which will only give credence to the idea some have of this being a "Hate Site". Whether Gubu grows or not I don't know, I hope it does and I plan on contributing more a smidge meself.
Biggins

Post by Biggins »

Firstly I want to acknowledge Guburnator intervening and look forward to his reply.

The "hate site" moniker I presume comes from all the anti foreigner stuff rather than anything to do with discussing boards.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It doesn't matter whether it grows or not, or is busy or not, in my opinion. We are all just farting around for a very little while on quite a small spinning ball in infinite space. Very few things actually matter. And those things that do matter make everything else seem inconsequential.

But if it needs constant cribbing about boards minor celebrities 🙄 to keep growing, then why bother?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Guburnors site, Guburnors rules, Guburnors responsibility, Guburnors the boss.And I knew when I joined rule no 1 was to be respectful and not be a dick

I dont have any issue with any of that. I knew that when I joined up, I knew i could go some where else, but I chose here, and lived by the rules. Why should I expect any of my wishes to be the order of the day here, its not my site, and its not my responsibility when It goes pearshaped, when we come under the cross hairs of the hate police. Which one could argue the mega thread in question could be construed as an arsenal of it towards boards

What I am curious about is, where will you go to post about Gubu's modding "becoming like boards" when you leave here. You cant go back to boards to post , because you have already been banned from there for not obeying their rules. :lol: :lol:

Take yer shoes off, and sit a spell :D
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I re read the first post, and nearly choked on me chocky bics Guburnors going down the same route as boards with regards to modding :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I will have to change me jocks after that one :mrgreen: