Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Anti-Boards Sentiment

If you're of the view that there is a need for an old school, simple style, classic BB, with more focus on debate and discussion than bells and whistles, then gubu.ie is for you. See here for some site specific information, admin announcements, forum requests, feedback etc.
Forum rules
No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.
NewGuy

Anti-Boards Sentiment

Post by NewGuy »

Lads and Lassies.

I joined due to this being a functional site, instead of boards.ie at the moment. I'd like to stay and see where this can go. I'm sure there are others who also want to stay.

I have to say in all honesty, if it ends up being the shambles that was the Thunderdome or Voat/Boards then there's no real point is there?

If ye want to compete, don't just be an echo chamber for airing yer grievances about Boards Mods, users and the site in general. All you will attract is people who were previously banned etc and it will go nowhere and just be a bunch of complaining bitter cunts.

Be a viable alternative or be a short lived sh1thouse with the tired aul "boards Mods bad, me good" bollox, its our choice.

Be a place that can pull from Boards or be a place that Boards can point and laugh at.

Your choice.
Nyum Nyum

Re: Anti-Boards Sentiment

Post by Nyum Nyum »

NewGuy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:42 pm
Be a viable alternative or be a short lived sh1thouse with the tired aul "boards Mods bad, me good" bollox, its our choice.

Be a place that can pull from Boards or be a place that Boards can point and laugh at.

Your choice.
Ugh :roll: This reminds me of the "be better" shite you see on Twitter. Why not just see how the site goes instead of talking down to us all?
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Good job Celchick.

I have been there 10+ years, few red cards but never sitebanned etc.

The way I see it is, if posters here keep banging on about Boards.ie, especially banned posters from there, it just makes us look like wankers and that Boards.ie were right in not wanting them around.

Let's be real, Boards.ie should not have a monopoly on Irish discussion forums. So let's not undermine ourselves.

Let us give it a jolly good go chaps and chapettes.
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Nyum Nyum wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:14 pm
NewGuy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:42 pm

Your choice.
Ugh :roll: This reminds me of the "be better" shite you see on Twitter. Why not just see how the site goes instead of talking down to us all?
Have you logged onto the Thunderdome or Voat/Boards lately?

I'm not talking down to anyone, just highlighting mistakes from previous break away forums. All they brought was bitterness and ultimately failed because nobody wanted to join up.

All it was, was a handful of hive mind d1ckheads who had only one focus.

I presume others here want this to succeed? We have already seen the direction this site was taking, or do you need better glasses?

Do better Nyum Nyum.
Nyum Nyum

Post by Nyum Nyum »

NewGuy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:21 pm
Do better Nyum Nyum.
First clown for the ignore list anyway.
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Good man Nyum Nyum.

Hopefully this place can entice some quality posters, who know how to debate contrasting views without acting like an 8 year old.

Well done.
Nyum Nyum

Post by Nyum Nyum »

NewGuy wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:39 pm Good man Nyum Nyum.

Hopefully this place can entice some quality posters, who know how to debate contrasting views without acting like an 8 year old.
That's you ruled out then.

Well done indeed.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

MOD NOTE: @NewGuy and Nyum Nyum, attack the post, not the poster.

I'm going to close this thread. The point is well made here and in other threads that this site has no future if it descends into a whinge about boards.ie.

This is what we're looking for:

Celchick wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:56 pm Yes, this is the general consensus. A few gripes about Boards were thrown into the mix but moving on seems to be the thing now. I think Boards is a great site and I stuck with it for years, but I'm unhappy with aspects of it these days - the moderating mainly (harshness/inconsistency)... and I was a mod there myself one time!

What would folks like to see here? Here's my list (it's not a demand, just an ideal for me personally):

- respectful discussion (which can still be robust)
- people not throwing in any auld inflammatory shite and then scuttling off
- people not just saying you're a (whatever ist) and then disappearing without an actual reason why
- less biased moderating
- not being slaves to whatever ideology looks the wokest
- being critical of individuals/groups without resorting to nasty insults (it can easily be done!)
- less (or none preferably) of those inane "who do you fancy/what annoys you?" threads
- making controversial statements with actual evidence