Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Feedback

If you're of the view that there is a need for an old school, simple style, classic BB, with more focus on debate and discussion than bells and whistles, then gubu.ie is for you. See here for some site specific information, admin announcements, forum requests, feedback etc.
Forum rules
No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.

Re: Feedback

Post by 490808 »

PogMoThoin wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:33 am Can the quote and like buttons be moved to the bottom of a post, having to scroll up for them is going against the grain
I think somethings we need to live with, unless there is a quick and easy fix :?:

I'm slowly getting used to the usernames on the right and for the sake of getting the site moving I'm prepared to put up with other minor inconveniences.

While I think that is a sensible suggestion if you look at the current page layout I wonder if moving the buttons to the bottom of the post would unnecessarily add to the white space on the page. Currently they line up with the username so fit in nicely. Also if you scroll down while on the editor page you will see the quote option at the top of each post saves you scrolling down :)
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

The Continental Op wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:08 pm I think somethings we need to live with, unless there is a quick and easy fix :?:

I'm slowly getting used to the usernames on the right and for the sake of getting the site moving I'm prepared to put up with other minor inconveniences.
This is basically how we are operating at the minute - some things have been prioritised as significant improvements/fixes that we want to implement as soon as possible eg dark mode, whereas others - eg profiles on the LHS we see as 'nice to have' but not crucial, and we are working on them on a test site.

But right now we feel there is a decent momentum in new members joining, posting and generally getting involved with a positive vibe. That is the most important consideration. We don't want to start b*ggering around unnecessarily with the UI if it risks stalling that momentum.
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already, but I really miss the option to preview a new/start post by hovering over it - it's gone from the other site too. It saves a lot of clicking and is likely to be more important when the post count increases here. Happy to wait though :)
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” Anne Lamott
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Guburnor wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:11 pm This is basically how we are operating at the minute - some things have been prioritised as significant improvements/fixes that we want to implement as soon as possible eg dark mode, whereas others - eg profiles on the LHS we see as 'nice to have' but not crucial, and we are working on them on a test site.

But right now we feel there is a decent momentum in new members joining, posting and generally getting involved with a positive vibe. That is the most important consideration. We don't want to start b*ggering around unnecessarily with the UI if it risks stalling that momentum.
Last thing you want here is a vanilla flavoured upgrade :shock: :mrgreen:
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

CuisleBeat wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:06 pm I'm not sure if it's been mentioned already, but I really miss the option to preview a new/start post by hovering over it - it's gone from the other site too. It saves a lot of clicking and is likely to be more important when the post count increases here. Happy to wait though :)
It's been mentioned before, and just been turbocharged up the to do list. Have a hover now.
dawg

Post by dawg »

Guburnor wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:30 pm It's been mentioned before, and just been turbocharged up the to do list. Have a hover now.
That is one thing that really is useful. Thanks for the change :)
A lot of the other things that have come up for mention I wouldnt be fussed over and would say are 'grand' the way they are
The really big plus for me is that Gubu doesnt crash the browser on my phone :D

I notice that if I set my phone to 'request desktop' Gubu still returns the mobile version. Whats behind this & what are the pros & cons ?
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

dawg wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:29 pm I notice that if I set my phone to 'request desktop' Gubu still returns the mobile version. Whats behind this & what are the pros & cons ?
I think it's a width thing. The site you see on phone is not a dedicated mobile version as such, it's a responsive version that has contracted to the width of your phone screen. Flip your phone on its side to landscape and you should see it more closely resemble what you see on your desktop. Does that make sense?
Frank

Post by Frank »

Speaking of width, this site does a fantastic job of adjusting to a window. I’d one of those little pop outs running the browser over rte player on an iPad earlier and I’d no side scrolling at all, worked perfectly.
Megaminx

Post by Megaminx »

Megaminx wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:29 pm Can you add post numbers, like this is post #40 in the thread (topic), can you show that somewhere in the post.

is there a setting I can chnage so that i can see post numbers?
Megaminx

Post by Megaminx »

Is there tables available?

[table]
[tr]
[tc]Row 1 - col 1[/tc]
[tc]Row 1 - col 2[/tc]
[/tr]
[tr]
[tc]Row 2 - col 1[/tc]
[tc]Row 2 - col 2[/tc]
[/tr]
[/table]
dawg

Post by dawg »

I wanted to attach some pictures to a post but not have them displayed by default. ( i.e. have the attached file names shown and clickable ) ... with the aim of not causing upset to limited bandwidth users ...
How can I do this ?
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

dawg wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:16 pm I wanted to attach some pictures to a post but not have them displayed by default. ( i.e. have the attached file names shown and clickable ) ... with the aim of not causing upset to limited bandwidth users ...
How can I do this ?
If you wrap the tags around it it comes up as an image like here.

But if you just type in the link address it just puts in the link, at least for me using it on desktop. You could always go in and remove the [img] tags from around the link.
https://www.paypalobjects.com/webstatic ... /ppcom.svg

I'm wondering is it possible to display spoiler tags on this forum? I tried a few ways but failed like [spoiler] tags and various forms of code. Any help appreciated.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Was dawg not asking about uploaded attachments? Some versions (or configurations) of this software allow - or prevent - an image file uploaded as an attachment to be displayed within the body of the message so the viewer can see it immediately; others leave it as a link at the foot of the message that has to be clicked. I've seen forums where the primary decision about this lay with the person posting (tick box to display inline) or with the user (tick box to display attached images).

On this forum, there's an option in Profile/UCP/Board Preferences to "Display images within posts" which would respond to the needs of a speed- or data-limited user.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Megaminx wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:53 pm is there a setting I can chnage so that i can see post numbers?
Apologies missed this first time round. Post numbers now shown before username.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Megaminx wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:58 pm Is there tables available?

[table]
[tr]
[tc]Row 1 - col 1[/tc]
[tc]Row 1 - col 2[/tc]
[/tr]
[tr]
[tc]Row 2 - col 1[/tc]
[tc]Row 2 - col 2[/tc]
[/tr]
[/table]
Not currently unfortunately. Best thing to do is take screenshot of table and attach.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

dawg wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:16 pm I wanted to attach some pictures to a post but not have them displayed by default. ( i.e. have the attached file names shown and clickable ) ... with the aim of not causing upset to limited bandwidth users ...
How can I do this ?
Unfortunately cannot set for either/or, which seems counterintuitive I'd agree.
dawg

Post by dawg »

Guburnor wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:13 am Unfortunately cannot set for either/or, which seems counterintuitive I'd agree.
Seems that its possible to make up a post to include jpegs, make said post, then find address(es) of jpegs from browser, edit post to delete jpegs and add in links to same

( see my posts 29 and 30 in 'pictures of classics' in the Motors forum viewtopic.php?p=2403#p2403 )

Seems I cant edit post 29 ( because it was made yesterday ? )

OK, thats all a bit clunky but it gets the job done and avoids force feeding everyone with stuff that maybe only a few will have an interest in
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

dawg wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:24 am Seems that its possible to make up a post to include jpegs, make said post, then find address(es) of jpegs from browser, edit post to delete jpegs and add in links to same

( see my posts 29 and 30 in 'pictures of classics' in the Motors forum viewtopic.php?p=2403#p2403 )

Seems I cant edit post 29 ( because it was made yesterday ? )

OK, thats all a bit clunky but it gets the job done and avoids force feeding everyone with stuff that maybe only a few will have an interest in
There is a time limit for editing - currently 8 hours I think, not sure what is optimal but def need some sort of time limit.

I admire your concern for users bandwidth, but tbh I think that if they're browsing a thread "Pictures of Classics", the clue is in the title!

I guess in the future if our bandwidth was getting out of control and we couldn't afford the bills, an option would be to force the attachment not to be displayed inline, but I'd be very reluctant to do that - displaying attachments in the post, and not having to bugger about with imgbb etc, seems like a useful feature to me.
dawg

Post by dawg »

... post deleted
Last edited by dawg on Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
dawg

Post by dawg »

Perhaps I'm more aware of bandwidth than most due to frequently being in a 'bad area' for mobile connectivity :D
Tried a test there and it would seem that once an attachment is posted it remains on the system even if the user subsequently deletes it ( perhaps there is some sort of long term cleanup job thats is run infrequently that will wipe it ? )
Guburnor wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:36 am...
I guess in the future if our bandwidth was getting out of control and we couldn't afford the bills, an option would be to force the attachment not to be displayed inline, but I'd be very reluctant to do that - displaying attachments in the post, and not having to bugger about with imgbb etc, seems like a useful feature to me.
In general I would see it like that too but some of the more esoteric stuff that can crop up could be a major turnoff ( I guess this is why thumbnails came about :lol: )

Suggestions for a couple of forums :

- Test
- The Cesspit ( obv 'the etiquette' thread would fit in there :D )
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Can we get a custom favicon added soon? When you've lots of tabs open it's impossible to pick out GUBU.ie with it having the default tab icon.
JDaniels

Post by JDaniels »

User Control Panel>Profile tab>Edit Avatar
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Scotty wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:03 pm Can we get a custom favicon added soon? When you've lots of tabs open it's impossible to pick out GUBU.ie with it having the default tab icon.
Added, Firefox is picking it up, will fix it on Chrome.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Looks good.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Guburnor wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:56 am Added, Firefox is picking it up, will fix it on Chrome.
Great, much better! Working on Chrome for me now too.