Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Feedback

If you're of the view that there is a need for an old school, simple style, classic BB, with more focus on debate and discussion than bells and whistles, then gubu.ie is for you. See here for some site specific information, admin announcements, forum requests, feedback etc.
Forum rules
No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.
GrowlerG

Re: Feedback

Post by GrowlerG »

Plover1958 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:01 pm ...I hope it's not a trend. 8-)
I was thinking the same.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

It's not easy to implement in phpBB but the ability to 'unsubscribe' from threads would be useful.

The whole follow, subscribe, bookmark system in phpBB is a mess.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

I think a lot of modern apps and sites are making some very odd usability choices.

It's seems features are being added because they can. It's like a technical showcase. But with no real use case (business case) asking for it.

It's like chrome tab groups. I've always wanted my tabs grouped by random for no good reason. Love it. Or office, Everytime I do something I want 50% of the menus and button to completely change, and move around. Or Everytime I buy a new laptop or switch machines I want to retrain my muscle memory to a different keyboard layout.

Keeps you on your toes.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Scotty wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:58 pm It's not easy to implement in phpBB but the ability to 'unsubscribe' from threads would be useful.
It's already there and working (a damn sight better than some other forums one could mention!) : bottom of the page, click on the spanner just right of the "Post Reply" button and toggle Subscribe/Unsubscribe.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

CelticRambler wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:04 pm It's already there and working (a damn sight better than some other forums one could mention!) : bottom of the page, click on the spanner just right of the "Post Reply" button and toggle Subscribe/Unsubscribe.
That's actually a separate 'subscription' function. It can be used to subscribe to a thread without posting on it. Then you also have a 'bookmark' function.

What I am talking about is the 'Your Posts' page > search.php?search_id=egosearch. It seems there's no way to remove threads from this.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

Other than boards and this site.

All the other forums I visit work normally same as they always did.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Scotty wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:44 pmWhat I am talking about is the 'Your Posts' page > search.php?search_id=egosearch. It seems there's no way to remove threads from this.
:?: Huh? You want a search of your posts not to show you threads you've posted on? I don't understand why you'd want to pretend to yourself that you hadn't posted in such-and-such a thread, but if it was that important to you, perhaps deleting your posts from that thread would remove the thread from the list?
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

There are too many "issues with the vaccine" thread. Can these be amalgamated? Not against the discussion as it is an important one, but I can't remember what is posted when, and when, now.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Memento Mori wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:33 pm There are too many "issues with the vaccine" thread. Can these be amalgamated? Not against the discussion as it is an important one, but I can't remember what is posted when, and when, now.
There is one - the vaccine megathread. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=316
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Memento Mori wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:33 pm There are too many "issues with the vaccine" thread. Can these be amalgamated? Not against the discussion as it is an important one, but I can't remember what is posted when, and when, now.
Have created a vaccine megathread. Do you mean you'd prefer all the previous posts from the locked threads merged there?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Guburnor wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:22 pm Have created a vaccine megathread. Do you mean you'd prefer all the previous posts from the locked threads merged there?
If you do that, you are gonna be one busy man :mrgreen:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

If we can put in personal requests for my ideal forum,,
Then I want a bigger woodworking shop, and I want Celticrambler site banned if he brings in any more metal work into wood shop. CR....are you listening :mrgreen:
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

Guburnor wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:22 pm Have created a vaccine megathread. Do you mean you'd prefer all the previous posts from the locked threads merged there?
Sorry I had not noticed some were locked! I think there are two active vaccine threads now which is fair enough. Thanks!
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:48 pm... and I want Celticrambler site banned if he brings in any more metal work into wood shop. CR....are you listening :mrgreen:
Hang on a sec, let me just turn off this angle grinder so's I can hear you better ... :P

Would agree that a minor tweak to the Hobbies forum could be useful, offering a place for Metal, Plastic and Glass related DIY separate to the dead trees forum. :mrgreen:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

:lol: Agh, you want a recycled rubbish forum for your materials then
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Recycled rubbish? :o Let me tell you, I have an impressive rate of finding a good use for all that stuff kept because it might come in useful some day! :lol:
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

"Remember me" not working at login?

Maybe that's not the reason, but I've had to log in at least 3 times today.

Firefox browser on IOS (so, probably webkit).
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CelticRambler wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:24 pm Recycled rubbish? :o Let me tell you, I have an impressive rate of finding a good use for all that stuff kept because it might come in useful some day! :lol:
Me too, I could recycle that old Ducato you have for a chicken coop :lol:
Riffmongous

Post by Riffmongous »

A few suggestions:

What do ye think about consolidating the forums? There's a lot there at the moment that have less than 5 topics or so and they could be moved into forum for their category (like all the natural world/hobby threads are in one forum, with maybe only the most popular being kept as subfora). It would be useful to focus on the busy areas at the moment imo. I find i often don't check the subfora if they don't look busy.

Is it possible to have a "thread of the day/trending" style link at the top of the page, maybe showing the most popular threads from the last hours?
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

Maybe the home page should be the "active topics" page rather than the board index? Or at least a section of it?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Just been looking at the home page, role-playing as a newbie, and think the forum groupings do need a bit of a sort-out. There's a peculiar mix of highly specific forums (e.g. the woodworking or motorbikes) alongside impossibly broad titles, often with nothing in between (e.g. no general DIY - it's woodworking or nothing!)

While the concept of using "Any Other Business" as a catch all to evaluate levels of interest sounds fine, the title doesn't really invite that kind of new post, and its position between info requests and renewable energy doesn't help.

If, as a newbie, I wanted to ask a photography question, my first instinct would be to go to the Hobbies section ... but there's nothing at all there that suggests photography - or any other form of visual art - has a place here. Similarly, if I wanted to write about a recent travel experience, the closest section would be "motoring and transport" but there's no option to make a general post about the whole planes, trains and automobile adventure - it's cars, bikes or commuting on the Luas!

Would be happy to help with re-organising this, or at least making more detailed suggestions, should such assistance be required/welcomed. ;)
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Totally agree with CR.
Give him DIY forum, if only to get him to cart all his metalwork tat out of the woodshop :lol:
Crafts could go into hobbies too.
dawg

Post by dawg »

Guburnor, I like your tweak putting 'recent topics' at the start of the home page. :D
silverbirch

Post by silverbirch »

Agreed, looks good.
dawg

Post by dawg »

dawg wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:34 pm Guburnor, I like your tweak putting 'recent topics' at the start of the home page. :D
Wondering if there might be some issue with this e.g.
Gubu - latest hmmm.jpg
Gubu - latest hmmm.jpg (140.11 KiB) Viewed 10664 times
Nothing in listed in 'recent' from 11:59 to 1:53. Yet there were lots of posts in that time span [ e.g. : calahonda posted in AOB at 12:51 and I posted in info & expertise at 1:26 ( cringe at 'expertise' BTW - anyone else ? ) ]