Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Will this place take over from Boards?

If you're of the view that there is a need for an old school, simple style, classic BB, with more focus on debate and discussion than bells and whistles, then gubu.ie is for you. See here for some site specific information, admin announcements, forum requests, feedback etc.
Forum rules
No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Will this place take over from Boards?

Post by kadman »

gugleguy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:42 pm An parallel analogy can be drawn with the hobby shops here in Dublin: all to a greater or lesser extent: I'm one of these weirdos who use enamel paints for building models.
Due to Mr Fukking EU no further supplies can be imported.

The hobby shops position towards enamel customer in light of this measure ranges from "paddle your own canoe" - to " so, what the feck are you doing here anyway " -

boards is becoming more cliquey than ever, and new visitors can get a very lukewarm reception indeed in some forums
I would have thought there would be an endless supply of model paints from art shops.
simone
Location: remember me in the months ahead, and how i was correct

Post by simone »

Quit bitching and moaning in this thread and go start a new thread about something, try and get a bit of life in Gubu, love me or hate me, but without me this place would lose most of the new threads and the most active ones.
Well come knock me of my perch as top dog content creator, you get the conversation moving around here.

Post by 95438756 »

They're not allowed to flog it anymore because of some naughty substance in the enamel.

They don't care. They've adopted the same marketing strategy of Smyth's Toys. Obviously I don't include Marks models here, every other hobby seller,
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

simone wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:32 pm Quit bitching and moaning in this thread and go start a new thread about something, try and get a bit of life in Gubu, love me or hate me, but without me this place would lose most of the new threads and the most active ones.
Well come knock me of my perch as top dog content creator, you get the conversation moving around here.
Says the person with 90 posts - most of them inflammatory. :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
simone

Post by simone »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:21 pm Says the person with 90 posts - most of them inflammatory. :roll:
Stop complaining about here being dead and start creating threads.

Are you worried people won’t find you interesting?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

simone wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:52 pm Stop complaining about here being dead and start creating threads.

Are you worried people won’t find you interesting?
Why should I care if people find me interesting? This isn't Facebook and and I don't need likes to boost my ego. :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
simone

Post by simone »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:55 pm Why should I care if people find me interesting? This isn't Facebook and and I don't need likes to boost my ego. :roll:
Start a thread then.
Worried about being judged?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

gugleguy wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:34 pm They're not allowed to flog it anymore because of some naughty substance in the enamel.

They don't care. They've adopted the same marketing strategy of Smyth's Toys. Obviously I don't include Marks models here, every other hobby seller,
What is the enamel you need, is it oil based, acrylic, 2k, or isocyanate. There must be an alternative you can use. My son is a prosthetics technician/special effects guy for film makers. They have access to loads of stuff. Let me know, and I will run it by him for an "alternative" option ;) ;)
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

kadman wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:54 pm What is the enamel you need, is it oil based, acrylic, 2k, or isocyanate. There must be an alternative you can use. My son is a prosthetics technician/special effects guy for film makers. They have access to loads of stuff. Let me know, and I will run it by him for an "alternative" option ;) ;)
The power of GUBU. It's not just conspiracy theories and low quality opinions here.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Guburnor wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:26 pm The power of GUBU. It's not just conspiracy theories and low quality opinions here.
Maybe the model painter could start a thread specifically for this, as I would have a lot to input on the subject of finishes, but I dont want to derail this thread. And my opinions on the subject may be high quality, or low quality, who cares, I am here to post to help on this one if I can. GUBU does not have to prove itself to any one , it just needs some more poster to post their, high level, low level threads.............just post.

Post by 95438756 »

OK
Frank

Post by Frank »

Just had a look there for the first time in months while looking for info on something. God it’s a complete shitshow now - I don’t think one thread had any relation at all to what the title was once you were a few pages in. Every single subject seems to come back to one of a few things.
Best thing this place can do is just not become that, as people will tire of it eventually, and things will just happen naturally.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Have we reached critical mass yet? Feels like the discussion groups are picking up slowly but surely. Good to see anyhow.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

quodec wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:59 pm Have we reached critical mass yet? Feels like the discussion groups are picking up slowly but surely. Good to see anyhow.
Not sure but it seems to be setting new records every few months for most amount of active users within a time frame.

Post by 95438756 »

Boards will always have wider visibility though. It's like when papers like the Irish Times ( though not confined to this paper ) put the paper on three racks instead of one in that kiosk newsagent. When I see something like this I don't buy the Irish times. The Sunday Papers do it. What I'm trying to say is that boards appeals to similar audience who are more likely to buy a newspaper because they see it on three racks.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Have to say, I am stunned that the farce that Boards has become still attracts new sign-ups. Nowt queer as folk.
'no more blah blah blah'
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:13 pm Have to say, I am stunned that the farce that Boards has become still attracts new sign-ups. Nowt queer as folk.
I see the one employee they had is gone and they have a new admin. If it’s anything like the last admin of the same name sake I wouldn’t expect anything different mind you!
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:13 pm Have to say, I am stunned that the farce that Boards has become still attracts new sign-ups. Nowt queer as folk.
I'm not, it's a cliquey hellhole that deserves to be the digital equivalent of tomorrow's chip paper.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

knownunknown wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:38 pm I see the one employee they had is gone and they have a new admin. If it’s anything like the last admin of the same name sake I wouldn’t expect anything different mind you!
Oh? Who is that? I only know of Niamh who is the community manager.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:38 pm Oh? Who is that? I only know of Niamh who is the community manager.
It was in an announcement thread, Niamh is now gone(I have no idea the circumstances).

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/205827 ... nks-niamh/
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

Wow. I didn't see that. The best of luck to her.
I wonder is Mike a former Boards user

*scratches chin*
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:46 pm Wow. I didn't see that. The best of luck to her.

*scratches chin*
Good question, I wonder did Niamh ever post on her other account as well :roll:

From what I saw of her she seemed well liked so good luck to her.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

knownunknown wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:59 pm Good question, I wonder did Niamh ever post on her other account as well :roll:

From what I saw of her she seemed well liked so good luck to her.
Only one of the heirarchy to actual act like a human being.

Beginning of the end for the dump with any luck.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Buford T. Justice VI

Post by Buford T. Justice VI »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:46 pm Wow. I didn't see that. The best of luck to her.

*scratches chin*
Don't think it's the same Mike, Admin Mike would work abroad and be out of range for long periods.

Unless he's changed jobs since.

Post by 95438756 »

I will offer a Controversial opinion about boards: Take a look at the Christmas Movies thread over there. The majority of the movies are pure Muck. However....the sheer delight and joy from the posters regaling about them is readily evident. The same posters who have actually enjoyed the likes of the Late Late Toy show. They don't give a hoot what the reviews say. And these posters will power boards on for a long long time to come.