Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Will this place take over from Boards?

If you're of the view that there is a need for an old school, simple style, classic BB, with more focus on debate and discussion than bells and whistles, then gubu.ie is for you. See here for some site specific information, admin announcements, forum requests, feedback etc.
Forum rules
No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.
marhay70

Re: Will this place take over from Boards?

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:23 pm And here is the former Sustainability Mod - djpbarry : https://www.boards.ie/discussion/commen ... t_66697245

and the awful Regional Mod - Muffler : https://www.boards.ie/discussion/205819 ... by-muffler
I've no intention of going into the ins and outs of this but here's my 2cents.
First lesson for the Mods to learn here is "Don't get involved in any debate about yourselves" They are there to make the decisions and that's what they should do, all credibility is lost when you engage in slanging matches.
On the other hand, if there was a sense of unfairness, there really should have been somewhere to air it with the confidence that the hearing would be impartial, if not, the grievances get more and more vocal. Bringing the Category Mods onto the Forum only puts pressure on them to uphold their own end and causes even more grievance.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:02 pm It was once a grand place to post but it lacked common sense. The bit of faux power they exercise on that site is embarrassing.
Proves the adage about power corrupting.
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

Will this place take over from Boards?

It might take over from what boards is now.
It will never take over from what boards was.
It was good craic back in the day, irreverent, fun, dumb and usually interesting.
People grow up and times change.
The good posters moved on and the sadsacks stayed on.
As on boards, as in life.

Boards for the last few years is just the woke vs anti woke. Neither side exactly covering themselves in glory.

A worry from me is that Gubu will just become a safe space for anyone feeling butt-hurt by boards.
Having a bruised ego doesn't make one right.
There are some familiar usernames on this site; I laugh when read them going on about boards. Butter wouldn't melt.
I'll stop there.

Potentially Gubu could go certain way and I hope it doesn't.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

You are right, I don't believe it is possible to create what Boards used to be because we live in a different time. I have my own views on the place and they have changed throughout the years. That's due to my own perspective and the site itself. Others have their reasons for giving out about the place and I have a few ideas as to what they may be.

On one hand Boards is just a website and on the other hand it is so much more. If your thinking is in the latter camp then a falling out or a severing of the relationship can be disappointing at least and hurtful at most. As over the top as that may seem an online community can be very powerful.

I recall a time before I joined when there was massive upheaval about erm social groups I think and turning them in to private groups or something. My memory of the story isn't great but people were all up in arms as they tried to cling on to an online space that meant alot to them.

The issues I have about Boards are to do with the ongoing stifling of natural discussion and differing opinions. So what if a thread goes "off topic" or someone wants to post rubbish about their socks or whatever. Leave them be. On a personal level I have my own grievances that make it difficult for me to be part of the threads I used to. I miss them but that's that.

Gubu deserves a decent shot at being a discussion forum and I think almost all of the threads here are for exactly that, discussing things. It doesn't feel like a safe space from or for anything although I can see why you think as you do.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

You can have disagreements with people on GUBU without it resorting to personal attacks. I have had many with most of the regulars at some point about something. We disagree, make our points and then move on, what’s healthier than that.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

knownunknown wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:00 am You can have disagreements with people on GUBU without it resorting to personal attacks. I have had many with most of the regulars at some point about something. We disagree, make our points and then move on, what’s healthier than that.
It's early days, Guvnor will soon have his swarms of fire ants jumping into every thread trying to stop alternative thoughts and force an agenda
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:07 am It's early days, Guvnor will soon have his swarms of fire ants jumping into every thread trying to stop alternative thoughts and force an agenda
Sounds like dissent from within the ranks. Maybe because you never gots Niamh's invite to the secret forums, like some. ;)
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

I see the wokeism thread got closed, test complete. Largely due to a former member here, cmod there, calling people gammons. Apparently that type of racism is ok.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

knownunknown wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:19 am I see the wokeism thread got closed, test complete. Largely due to a former member here, cmod there, calling people gammons. Apparently that type of racism is ok.
Yeah he got his way, and that was actually a fun thread.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane