Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Will this place take over from Boards?

If you're of the view that there is a need for an old school, simple style, classic BB, with more focus on debate and discussion than bells and whistles, then gubu.ie is for you. See here for some site specific information, admin announcements, forum requests, feedback etc.
Forum rules
No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.
RandallWeems

Re: Will this place take over from Boards?

Post by RandallWeems »

It’s a mess alright but where it is working the wokerati are still pulling all teh strings. They are making sure that their sacred poo thread is still there. We’d do well to get rid of the copycat one we have over here. It’s disgusting.
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

RandallWeems wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:14 am It’s a mess alright but where it is working the wokerati are still pulling all teh strings. They are making sure that their sacred poo thread is still there. We’d do well to get rid of the copycat one we have over here. It’s disgusting.
Just stay well clear of it, that's what I do. I don't really like the idea of deleting threads no matter how tempting it might be.
;)
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Post by Jimmy Bottlehead »

Still a total disaster.

And they've now banned mention of Gubu under the guise of shilling.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Jimmy Bottlehead wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:20 pm Still a total disaster.

And they've now banned mention of Gubu under the guise of shilling.
Is that an official mod instruction somewhere or have they just started deleting posts?
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

schmittel wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:34 pm Is that an official mod instruction somewhere or have they just started deleting posts?
https://www.boards.ie/discussion/commen ... _117822242

There we go.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Just seen that and come here to post it!

For the sake of those who can't be bothered clicking the link:
a number of users have been shilling another site here (and in other forums) over the last few weeks. We gave some leeway up to now, however the saying give someone an inch and they'll take a mile comes to mind and it has been reported to us that not only are people suggesting it in posts but are PMing other users and actively campaigning to get them to join the other site. Sorry but no. In fact I am not sorry, just no. Shilling has always been against site rules and from now on anyone shilling will be dealt with as a shiller. The site address has been blocked via the swear filter.
Looks like at least one someone wasn't happy with people like me suggesting (by PM) that they might get more than the one not very helpful response if they tried posting on another site, such as this one ...

Post by 765489 »

:lol: Best thing I've read all week. We must be doing something right so. :mrgreen:
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Oh I have to say that warms my heart, they don't like it up 'em lads!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
GubuOriginal

Post by GubuOriginal »

Plover1958 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:16 am Why not go over and see, if you're so curious? Here is here and will only thrive if people stop trying to either recreate a rose tinted image of Boards, using it as a refuge while Boards sorts it's act out, or using it to give the two fingers to Boards.
Don't want to give it traffic if it's not worth it.
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

It's interesting though. I wonder will they add Reddit to their swear filter... I think not...
RandallWeems

Post by RandallWeems »

Oh ho they’re running scared now, boys! Must be doing something right. But if we really want to be a better site than boards we need not allow all that rubbish of pronouns, men being women and whatever your having yourself or none of that feminist bollocks of men and women being the same.

If people want to spread that muck they should stay over there where it’s welcomed with open arms. Teh people here don’t want to hear it. Go woke and go broke is what I always say.
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

RandallWeems wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:10 pm Oh ho they’re running scared now, boys! Must be doing something right. But if we really want to be a better site than boards we need not allow all that rubbish of pronouns, men being women and whatever your having yourself or none of that feminist bollocks of men and women being the same.

If people want to spread that muck they should stay over there where it’s welcomed with open arms. Teh people here don’t want to hear it. Go woke and go broke is what I always say.
They're your opinions. You're entitled to them but so is someone who has differing views on trans issues or feminism.

Personally, I don't want an echo chamber from either side on here.
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Quite the infantile strop, shutting down opinion that deviates from the pedantic holy scripture. And validating the Gubu success story, this site has legs after all and those members who disingenuously knock it are better served closing their accounts for the greater good.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
JDaniels

Post by JDaniels »

They have time to go investigating reports about a rival site and adding it to the swear filter but not to fix their own site. Says it all really.
WokeHogan

Post by WokeHogan »

Berties_Horse wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:22 pm Quite the infantile strop, shutting down opinion that deviates from the pedantic holy scripture. And validating the Gubu success story, this site has legs after all and those members who disingenuously knock it are better served closing their accounts for the greater good.
"Pedantic holy scripture."

I have never read such rubbish in my life. You really do need to stop writing so pretentiously.

I think the admin team here should get their own back by putting "boards" in the swear filter as well and watch this site bloom now that nobody can bitch about the other place.
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

RandallWeems wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:10 pm Oh ho they’re running scared now, boys! Must be doing something right. But if we really want to be a better site than boards we need not allow all that rubbish of pronouns, men being women and whatever your having yourself or none of that feminist bollocks of men and women being the same.

I don't mind what people's opinions are as long as people are free to articulate them. The problem is when "one side" is officially endorsed and opinion policed accordingly.
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Post by Hodors Appletart »

will you take your childish lovers tiff elsewhere you pair of eejits
Hold The Door
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

MOD NOTE: Have deleted a number of posts that forgot to attack the post and not the poster, and not to be a dick.
BettyBee

Post by BettyBee »

so, I'm a "Shiller" ekk - is that bad? never heard of the word till I read it earlier today ... should I be worried? "from now on anyone shilling will be dealt with as a shiller" - what or what does the future hold for me??? i'm worried, really - I am (sniff sniff)

PS admin/mods.. can we have some emojis please? x
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Cringe overload.

Emoji nonsense aside, Gubu is a most sustainable model by virtue of simplicity of access. High confidence about its future.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
Johnny Von Pintland

Post by Johnny Von Pintland »

You permabanned from the other place, Bertie?

Post by 765489 »

BettyBee wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:35 pm so, I'm a "Shiller" ekk - is that bad? never heard of the word till I read it earlier today ... should I be worried? "from now on anyone shilling will be dealt with as a shiller" - what or what does the future hold for me??? i'm worried, really - I am (sniff sniff)

PS admin/mods.. can we have some emojis please? x
Here Betty Bee, you can have a lend of my emoji for a few days until Gubs sets you up with your own. -> :mrgreen:

Post by 765489 »

Just done a search of the new vanilla site for gubu, just out of curiosity. They have replaced the word gubu with **** on every single post that ever had the word gubu in it. Not just recent use of the word referencing this site but historical posts using the word. That's 2.8k of posts going back to 2002. Also any reference to gubu in my pms to people I know on boards have also been marked with ****.

Anyway, good job there's GÚBÚ.ie without the fada signs :)
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Oh they don't like shilling do they not, its a pity as they had no problem in shilling for Paddy Power a few years ago on a official boards thread where they had match betting, I brought up how they should not be making a profit by being a affiliate of a gambling company praying on boards members, was quickly told take a hike by the oh so morally high grounded Niamh.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Plover1958 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:23 am I thought this seemed odd, as how would a search for GUBU give results with **** as opposed to no result found. So I looked and a search for GUBU throws up 3,100 results with GUBU clearly shown.
It does. Then click on, for example, the thread "GUBU nation" and it displays as "**** nation" :lol: As do all references to that word in the following discussion.

Way back in olden times, when I was part of a break-away group from another forum that went down the "improved user experience" route, our Overlord showed a bit of creativity with the swear filter, and used it to replace offending words with others, e.g. the name of the other forum was translated to "Hogwarts" and it's leader became "Voldemort" ... which spawned many amusing "alternative reality" threads. In time, most users simply switched to using the "translation" straight off.

We subsequently had a "tradition" of having one inoffensive word per month given the swear-translation treatment, which encouraged more chat as people tried to find out what word that was, and - having found it - then having discussions for which the translation changed the sense of whatever statement it was used in. Would occasionally cause much merriment when it was a newbie asking a simple question and couldn't figure out why their post contained references to "platypus" or some such bizarreness. :D