Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Will this place take over from Boards?

If you're of the view that there is a need for an old school, simple style, classic BB, with more focus on debate and discussion than bells and whistles, then gubu.ie is for you. See here for some site specific information, admin announcements, forum requests, feedback etc.
Forum rules
No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Will this place take over from Boards?

Post by CelticRambler »

A woman needs to have meaningful conversation with a man. How could I predict that yet get diabetic?
A question that has puzzled the Wise and Ancients throughout the ages! :lol:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:06 am They are still busy - DenaZimi - inevitably a spammer.
Guarantee this is another one - Ferdinan

The only reason I'm going on about this is that I'm truly sick of spam. My own forum which like it's UK counterpart has not been a success due to age demographics is shortly being wound down but on a visit yesterday I had no less than 77 spammers awaiting approval to join. Life's too short and I'm sick of deleting them but they never get through to actually being able to post.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I use https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup
Which tells country. And has a check blacklist status button.
But it needs to have pre-approval membership format to work. So might not be handy.
Spammers are everywhere - my fecken mobile phone number has suddenly been infested with scammers/spammers. They are like lice.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And this mornings new members or they something else? ...Sergccg, Sergjhe, Sergudo, Sergztc
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 765489 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:27 am And this mornings new members or they something else? ...Sergccg, Sergjhe, Sergudo, Sergztc
Probably a kitten jumping around on someone's laptop keyboard while they are off getting a cup of tea.. 😀
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Dec A Wash wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:43 pm Apologies if this has been mentioned already, as I don't fancy reading through 22 pages!

Anyway, I have noticed that nearly all the posts. and the threads, on the Radio forum in Gubu relate to RTE Radio One, Newstalk or Lyric FM, and maybe BBC Radio 4. I know someone started a Bandscan thread, like the one on Boards, i.e. what pirates were picked up on the radio, but it has got very little traction. I started one about favourite pirates, which in fairness did have some replies. I also started ones about 8Radio.com and Christmas FM - the first getting a small reaction, and the second getting none so far. What does that say about those that contribute to the Radio forum here. Music-driven stations don't seem to be of interest here. Even Today FM is not really being mentioned. Community radio stations are not mentioned either as it happens. There does not seem to be much sign of anoraks here either, whether for current or past pirates Contrast this with the Radio forum on Boards.

I'm just curious. What do people think? Will that stop more crossing over from Boards?
I had a look at the Radio forum here again, and there's not much change there. The music stations and pirates are not getting much of a look-in, never mind anything of an anorak nature!

Post by 765489 »

Dec A Wash wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:29 pm I had a look at the Radio forum here again, and there's not much change there. The music stations and pirates are not getting much of a look-in, never mind anything of an anorak nature!
I actually tuned into 8Radio.com after reading your post here the other day Dec. I for one do read your posts and find them interesting but I'm not knowledgeable enough about radio to add anything. I'm mostly just listening to Lyric FM now. I used to listen to Phantom FM and know one of the girls that used to present on that on a Saturday morning.there was a metal slot on it and an anorak hour I used to listen to.

Speaking of anoraks I had a two track reel I sold to a guy probably 20 years ago. I brought it to his house, not sure where he lived it was so long ago. But he was a serious anorak. He had a full radio station in his attic. He gave me a demonstration for a couple of minutes. He said when he switches it on neighbours complain that it affected their television signals.

I think he was the technician who originally set up Phantom FM. Very interesting man.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:42 pm I actually tuned into 8Radio.com after reading your post here the other day Dec. I for one do read your posts and find them interesting but I'm not knowledgeable enough about radio to add anything. I'm mostly just listening to Lyric FM now. I used to listen to Phantom FM and know one of the girls that used to present on that on a Saturday morning.there was a metal slot on it and an anorak hour I used to listen to.

Speaking of anoraks I had a two track reel I sold to a guy probably 20 years ago. I brought it to his house, not sure where he lived it was so long ago. But he was a serious anorak. He had a full radio station in his attic. He gave me a demonstration for a couple of minutes. He said when he switches it on neighbours complain that it affected their television signals.

I think he was the technician who originally set up Phantom FM. Very interesting man.
Interesting post. Thanks for you kind comments. I can fill in a few things you said about Phantom.

The metal show idea started during Phantom's pirate days and continued on for the rest of its time as Phantom, with a possible brief hiatus during some of the temporary license phases, until just before its relaunch as TXFM. The original presenter, AFAIK, was Tom Hayes, who had presented a similar show in the 1980s on Nitesky Radio. It became synonymous, though, with Ray McGowan from the pirate era on. For as long as I had heard it, the program was called Metal Note.

The Anorak Hour was presented by Ger Rowe. He had been presenting shows like that on various pirates over the years. Simon Maher, owner/operator of '90s pirate Coast FM, used to do a "free radio", i.e. pirate, bandscan every Sunday. In 1995, Coast FM merged with Melody FM, keeping the name Coast FM. Ger Rowe came from Melody FM and brought his Anorak Hour, which incorporated Simon's bandscan. Coast FM was succeeded by, first, Spectrum and, then, Phantom. The Anorak Hour continued through the latter's two temporary license runs (as Media Beacon) and for the first year of Phantom's permanent license run. Ger Rowe was also the first Chief Executive of the fully licensed Phantom.

AFAIK, SImon Maher set up Phantom, albeit with the help of a number of other individuals. I don't think he was a technician so that may be one of the others. Can you remember his name? I think possibly Ger Rowe might have that kind of background.

Who was the girl that you knew, or maybe you would prefer not to say? I know that Today FM's Alison Curtis is a former Saturday morning presenter in Phantom's pirate days. I also know that Nadine O'Regan presented programs on Saturday mornings on fully legal Phantom and its relaunched entity as TXFM.

Post by 765489 »

Dec A Wash wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:42 pm Interesting post. Thanks for you kind comments. I can fill in a few things you said about Phantom.

The metal show idea started during Phantom's pirate days and continued on for the rest of its time as Phantom, with a possible brief hiatus during some of the temporary license phases, until just before its relaunch as TXFM. The original presenter, AFAIK, was Tom Hayes, who had presented a similar show in the 1980s on Nitesky Radio. It became synonymous, though, with Ray McGowan from the pirate era on. For as long as I had heard it, the program was called Metal Note.

The Anorak Hour was presented by Ger Rowe. He had been presenting shows like that on various pirates over the years. Simon Maher, owner/operator of '90s pirate Coast FM, used to do a "free radio", i.e. pirate, bandscan every Sunday. In 1995, Coast FM merged with Melody FM, keeping the name Coast FM. Ger Rowe came from Melody FM and brought his Anorak Hour, which incorporated Simon's bandscan. Coast FM was succeeded by, first, Spectrum and, then, Phantom. The Anorak Hour continued through the latter's two temporary license runs (as Media Beacon) and for the first year of Phantom's permanent license run. Ger Rowe was also the first Chief Executive of the fully licensed Phantom.

AFAIK, SImon Maher set up Phantom, albeit with the help of a number of other individuals. I don't think he was a technician so that may be one of the others. Can you remember his name? I think possibly Ger Rowe might have that kind of background.

Who was the girl that you knew, or maybe you would prefer not to say? I know that Today FM's Alison Curtis is a former Saturday morning presenter in Phantom's pirate days. I also know that Nadine O'Regan presented programs on Saturday mornings on fully legal Phantom and its relaunched entity as TXFM.
The girl's first name was Tara Dec, she was an American. I can't think of her maiden name. She married my best friend and they emigrated to Boston. She was there during the pirate phase of Phantom. She used to sometimes have Irish bands come in which she used to laugh at it as they were all like sardines in the small shed they used to broadcast from. Last time I was in Boston she organised a tour of Berkley Music College for myself and her husband as he was heavily involved in music and still is to this day.

I was speaking to my father after reading your post last night and asked if he could recall the name of the man I brought over the 2 track to. Unfortunately we don't have a name, but my father said it was a house in Clondalkin. He had a massive music collection up in the attic too. And one of his fears was that if he got raided they would confiscate his music collection. Which is why he didn't broadcast. He mentioned other radio stations he was involved with ( could be Nova ? ) I'd say he's in his 70s now if he's still alive. Remember he gave me a CD of Taste when I was going as both my Father and myself loved Rory Gallagher's music.

Tom Hayes I followed since my school days. All the metallers including myself tuned into him when he was on. Was a great way to find out new bands. Everyone would have a tape recorder and I remember myself, brother and friend who's now in Boston having the tape cassettes ready and fingers on the play and record button. Once Tom introduced a new band and if they were any good we'd be saving up and making the trip into Tommy in Soundcellar to order the album.

My mother was the real expert on pirate radio stations in our house, she'd be scanning all the time for pirates. There was one in a housing estate in Swords she used to like and we actually used to have a vegetable round in the estate and call into the man and woman running the station. It was either Castlefarm or Broadmeadows estate ( we used to do the two of them ). Big antenna out in the back garden. They used to do country music and rebel songs etc.. was a very popular station at the time. Possibly late 80s. In her later years she used to tune into Near FM and Beaumont Radio. One thing she loved was Ska music. There was two lads that used to have a show on Near FM ( might still do ) playing Ska and Reggae. She used to be ring them up and talking to them in the background making requests etc

Anyway I stopped listening to Phantom when they became legal. I'm not sure why.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:25 am The girl's first name was Tara Dec, she was an American. I can't think of her maiden name. She married my best friend and they emigrated to Boston. She was there during the pirate phase of Phantom. She used to sometimes have Irish bands come in which she used to laugh at it as they were all like sardines in the small shed they used to broadcast from. Last time I was in Boston she organised a tour of Berkley Music College for myself and her husband as he was heavily involved in music and still is to this day.

I was speaking to my father after reading your post last night and asked if he could recall the name of the man I brought over the 2 track to. Unfortunately we don't have a name, but my father said it was a house in Clondalkin. He had a massive music collection up in the attic too. And one of his fears was that if he got raided they would confiscate his music collection. Which is why he didn't broadcast. He mentioned other radio stations he was involved with ( could be Nova ? ) I'd say he's in his 70s now if he's still alive. Remember he gave me a CD of Taste when I was going as both my Father and myself loved Rory Gallagher's music.

Tom Hayes I followed since my school days. All the metallers including myself tuned into him when he was on. Was a great way to find out new bands. Everyone would have a tape recorder and I remember myself, brother and friend who's now in Boston having the tape cassettes ready and fingers on the play and record button. Once Tom introduced a new band and if they were any good we'd be saving up and making the trip into Tommy in Soundcellar to order the album.

My mother was the real expert on pirate radio stations in our house, she'd be scanning all the time for pirates. There was one in a housing estate in Swords she used to like and we actually used to have a vegetable round in the estate and call into the man and woman running the station. It was either Castlefarm or Broadmeadows estate ( we used to do the two of them ). Big antenna out in the back garden. They used to do country music and rebel songs etc.. was a very popular station at the time. Possibly late 80s. In her later years she used to tune into Near FM and Beaumont Radio. One thing she loved was Ska music. There was two lads that used to have a show on Near FM ( might still do ) playing Ska and Reggae. She used to be ring them up and talking to them in the background making requests etc.

Anyway I stopped listening to Phantom when they became legal. I'm not sure why.
While I am aware of various Taras on Phantom at different stages (one calling herself Pearl!), I was not aware of this particular lady. I did a Google search and sure enough someone called Tara in Boston commented on Boards.ie in 2004 on Phantom getting the license...and she mentioned her husband Brian! She was one of those presenters that seems to have not been mentioned since.

In relation to the technician from Clondalkin, anybody I was aware of involved with setting up Phantom would be in their 40s and 50s now - certainly not their 70s, not even their 60s! I would love to know who this is. I wonder was it an entirely different station that he was connected with?

Tom Hayes presented his heavy metal show on Thursday nights in the late 1980s on (Capitol) Nitesky Radio. I remember he preceded it with another show where he played Rhythm and Blues!

The pirate station from Swords that played country music and rebel music? That's a new one for me! There was a very influential station in the early 1980s from Swords called KELO, but it played pop music! For most of the 1980s, there was a station that played largely Irish C&W called Treble TR, but that was on the southside. When was this mysterious station around?

Interesting bits of information there.

Post by 765489 »

That's them Dec, Tara and Brian. Maybe she did call herself Pearl! Next time I'm in Boston or if they come back for a visit I'll ask her.

The man in Clondalkin was in is late 40s / early 50s when I gave him the 2 track. He must be in his 70s now I meant to say. Could be a completely different station as my dad said no it wasn't Phantom but I'm nearly sure he said he at least helped them out in some way and it was Tara or Brian who put me on to this man before they emigrated.

I'm going to ask my dad about the Swords station. I'll be back with information tomorrow on this one.

Post by 765489 »

Dec, just to add I got a bit more information about the man from Clondalkin and the Swords station.

My dad agreed with me that it was possibly Radio Nova he was involved with not Phantom. If it's any help to you.

The Swords station. He said the man that was one of the DJs on it was a guy called Danny Tobin. My father said it wasn't his real name. He used to go around swords on a bike and wear a cap and people would approach him and give him song requests. He said it was initially in Feltrim but was moved to the owner of the station's house in Broadmeadows. It was the late 80s.

I done a search for Danny Tobin and came up with a Blues guitarist. Definitely not him.

And my father just remembered the name of the station in Swords - Radio Na nGael. There was also a program on it presented in the Irish language.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Isn't it mad to think that the height of subversive activity in the Irish republic in the 1980s was broadcasting songs from an amateur radio station! I never listened to any of them as I just wasn't into that kind of music, but was aware of some of the names and the absolute determination on the part of the government (and the Guards) to shut them down. Bearing in mind that the Troubles were in full flow too, back then, you'd have to wonder what was going through the mind of the various ministers concerned ...

This tangent has taken the thread into far more interesting territory that it's original title would suggest - could probably do with being split off into a thread of its own at this point.
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:12 pm Dec, just to add I got a bit more information about the man from Clondalkin and the Swords station.

My dad agreed with me that it was possibly Radio Nova he was involved with not Phantom. If it's any help to you.

The Swords station. He said the man that was one of the DJs on it was a guy called Danny Tobin. My father said it wasn't his real name. He used to go around swords on a bike and wear a cap and people would approach him and give him song requests. He said it was initially in Feltrim but was moved to the owner of the station's house in Broadmeadows. It was the late 80s.

I done a search for Danny Tobin and came up with a Blues guitarist. Definitely not him.

And my father just remembered the name of the station in Swords - Radio Na nGael. There was also a program on it presented in the Irish language.
Thanks for all that.
Radio Na nGael - from Radiowaves:
http://radiowaves.fm/ire/database/dubli ... -na-ngael/
Dec A Wash

Post by Dec A Wash »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:52 pm Isn't it mad to think that the height of subversive activity in the Irish republic in the 1980s was broadcasting songs from an amateur radio station! I never listened to any of them as I just wasn't into that kind of music, but was aware of some of the names and the absolute determination on the part of the government (and the Guards) to shut them down. Bearing in mind that the Troubles were in full flow too, back then, you'd have to wonder what was going through the mind of the various ministers concerned ...

This tangent has taken the thread into far more interesting territory that it's original title would suggest - could probably do with being split off into a thread of its own at this point.
Moved to a new thread as suggested:

https://www.gubu.ie/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=963

Post by 95438756 »

Well

Boards still affected by the same blight of Threads mysteriously disappearing for a period and then reappearing.
Back Seat Modding continues to trundle on and there is one specific poster carrying out this practice unhindered. This poster probably made some legal challenge against boards so boards have decided to take it lying down.
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

I posted there for the first time in months and the same old mod immediately deleted it. :D

The place has become an echo chamber for a couple of mods, anyone who won't sing from their hymn sheet is either banned or no longer posting

Subreddit.ie :lol:
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Go over to their transgender Rose of Tralee thread.

Derailed by three posters - one of whom formerly identified as a parrot shall we say - and they are allowed to get away with murder.

The sooner it disappears up its own arse and dies a death the better.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane

Post by 95438756 »

Meanwhile in the Joe Biden presidency thread, a personal tit for tat has hit off ......not between two newbies but between two posters who joined boards in 2000 and 2002 respectively ... veering way off the thread topic.

- The Mods should give up and just let the whole place go......

But then you'd have the legal threats from the snowflakes with some money to spare for solictors.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Still don't understand why we have not seen a major influx from the other place which is now full of tumbleweed and posting seems to have fallen off a cliff. Meanwhile this place remains virgin territory just crying out for development....
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Well, on the one hand, for those who've given up on the other place, is there any indication that they're still posting on any forum? The "bulletin board" format was already in a perilous state, with just one site bucking the trend ... till it suffered the curse of a disastrous "enhanced use experience".

As regards the cultivation of virgin territory, this site is heavy on "chat" but very light on the kind of technical/special interest discussion that the other had. For all that I'd like to - and try to - chip in with posts on anything-other-than-Covid, there's a degree of collective knowledge missing from every sub-forum that sees threads fizzle out quite quickly. :(
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I fear not as yet another user has quit today. Last time I checked some months ago I had contributed 7% or so of all posts here but today that is over 8% i.e in the wrong direction. We might as well chuck it in if we can't attract more 'posters' - if even 5% of our membership posted regularly it would be a giant leap forward....I don't get it, especially as some who initially came over from Boards have returned there despite it still being terminally damaged. Cheer me up somebody - please!! :(
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Its hard to continue posting in , lets say, a hobbie topic like motoring, classic cars, wood work cad ect, if only one or two other posters have similar interests and chime in now and again. It can get lonely :lol: and i sometimes think I am talking to myself :lol:

Post by 765489 »

Hard to keep it going alright. The only thing that's keeping me here is a couple of regular posters I grown to like as they post on interests that I wouldn't normally be exposed to. If I quit this place or it goes down the tubes I doubt I'll ever sign up to any other Internet based forum again.

Will keep plodding away anyway on here.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

On some threads you'd want a nutcracker in order to keep going ..it's getting tedious ...