Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Will this place take over from Boards?

If you're of the view that there is a need for an old school, simple style, classic BB, with more focus on debate and discussion than bells and whistles, then gubu.ie is for you. See here for some site specific information, admin announcements, forum requests, feedback etc.
Forum rules
No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.
Enoch Von Clausewitz

Re: Will this place take over from Boards?

Post by Enoch Von Clausewitz »

another thread closed today - o'er on 'Planks'

thread was about Twitter, and the [since Elon took over] "right sort" of contributors getting 'unjustly' banned from that platform

a lot of name-calling and whataboutery from the usual suspects

Would they give out warnings/bans to those engaged in this sort of behaviour?? Would they fuq !! :D

So, 'The Swordsman' closes the thread, because: "too much bickering...etc"

So, yeah, pretty much any other discussion site could easily replace Boards - what'll probably be gone in the next five years anyhow, and good riddance to it
"when illusion spin her nette, i'm never where i wanna be"

'Cardmarker , CrossDresser , Awarenesss Raiser & Freelance Disabuser' <all rights reserved>
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

gugleguy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:56 pm I will offer a Controversial opinion about boards: Take a look at the Christmas Movies thread over there. The majority of the movies are pure Muck. However....the sheer delight and joy from the posters regaling about them is readily evident. The same posters who have actually enjoyed the likes of the Late Late Toy show. They don't give a hoot what the reviews say. And these posters will power boards on for a long long time to come.
Yep, it's all a big circle jerk
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Full of hate speech, that’s why it’s dying :lol:

“ And on the other hand we have a forum full of reported posts with people complaining about lack of moderation and how the site is now over run with trolls and hate speech. ”

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/commen ... _120101544
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

I see they got the memo to blame things on right wing activists
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Bunch of plonkers, I’m hosting 15 imaginary people I’m great.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Emmet Spiceland is annoying.
Jack The Stripper

nlgbbbblth wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:38 am Emmet Spiceland is annoying.
A wannabe mod if there was one. Grade A dung
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

The Damien English story should be a huge one on boards yet it doesn't even get its own thread, instead it is buried in the eye catching (not) thread

"FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP"

If a specific thread were to be started, I've little doubt that it would be deleted and posters scolded that there is already a thread on the government.

Post by 678904673 »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:38 am Emmet Spiceland is annoying.
And their many accounts
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Happy Days wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:13 pm And their many accounts
Oh “he” has “many”!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

knownunknown wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:15 am Full of hate speech, that’s why it’s dying :lol:

“ And on the other hand we have a forum full of reported posts with people complaining about lack of moderation and how the site is now over run with trolls and hate speech. ”

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/commen ... _120101544
And that plum is now an Admin!!

The decline of planks is hastened ..!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:25 pm And that plum is now an Admin!!

The decline of planks is hastened ..!!
And the good mods (of 18 years) get banned! I always liked Danno’s posts but he wasn’t part of the group think over there.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/commen ... _120110192
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

BrianD3 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:01 pm The Damien English story should be a huge one on boards yet it doesn't even get its own thread, instead it is buried in the eye catching (not) thread

"FF/FG/Green Government - Part 3 - Threadbanned User List in OP"

If a specific thread were to be started, I've little doubt that it would be deleted and posters scolded that there is already a thread on the government.
Could you elaborate?
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

knownunknown wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:55 am Could you elaborate?
Damien English the FG TD who resigned from his junior ministry (but not his seat) after being caught lying to Meath County Council to obtain planning permission which he should not have been granted. While also defaulting on two mortgages while retaining both properties. While earning well over 100k p.a of public money and using his position to speak on property issues In the Dail.

No specific thread on boards CA forum. If there were one started it would likely, based on previous form, be deleted by pro government mods.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

BrianD3 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:13 am Damien English the FG TD who resigned from his junior ministry (but not his seat) after being caught lying to Meath County Council to obtain planning permission which he should not have been granted. While also defaulting on two mortgages while retaining both properties. While earning well over 100k p.a of public money and using his position to speak on property issues In the Dail.

No specific thread on boards CA forum. If there were one started it would likely, based on previous form, be deleted by pro government mods.
Threads on individuals are always a tricky one, I'd imagine. All sorts of ways to fall foul of libel laws, with people quoting hearsay and rumour as fact.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

marhay70 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:20 am Threads on individuals are always a tricky one, I'd imagine. All sorts of ways to fall foul of libel laws, with people quoting hearsay and rumour as fact.
Hasn’t stopped them before; trump, Gemma, Andrew Tate, Enoch burke, Peter Casey, etc..etc.. you can say whatever you like about people with the wrong opinions.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

knownunknown wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:23 pm Hasn’t stopped them before; trump, Gemma, Andrew Tate, Enoch burke, Peter Casey, etc..etc.. you can say whatever you like about people with the wrong opinions.
100% - I admit as a former user I get a kick out of reading Dame Beasty’s mid thread proclamations!!! “You’re discussing it wrong!!! “BAN AND DELETED POSTS!!”

Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

The mod picking business is interesting. I liked Faith's post about it on the thread in Feedback. A million years ago I was asked to mod Long Term Illness. Initially I said yes but after having a short think I turned it down. The selection process wasn't clear to me. I think it was because I had taken a interest in one of the threads and then suggested ways in which it could be handled differently. I don't know.

Human nature the way it is tells me that it isn't always an objective and impartial pick. A poster may make an excellent mod but if the powers that be dislike that person then that's that. There are an awful lot who have mod attached to their names but never seem to actually mod or even post anywhere. Maybe they do stuff behind the scenes but I'm doubtful. I also think that some of them who have decided not to actively mod keep the title because they see it as a sort of status symbol over there

After Hours is filled with mods who are rarely if ever seen. Quite a number of them are members of a private forum as well so it makes me wonder about why they were picked. It gives further fuel to my belief that it can be a case of friends choosing friends. But again human nature.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Some Mods like to preside over virtually defunct Regional forums - especially in the North West and the border counties and don't welcome anyone making suggestions as to how to put a bit of life into their forums. Then there are others like the know-it-all who ran the Sustainability forum into the ground and then buggered off the site completely.
'no more blah blah blah'
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

I always suspected the mods we never see post but pop up from time to time are posting under different usernames.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

The mod who I found the most puzzling was Donegalfella who later changed his name (same account) to Permabear. Donegalfella moderated the Learning to Drive forum and was a good mod and poster IIRC but after the name change all he seemed to do was post in the politics forums (modding some for a time) criticising and mocking public servants while boasting about his own millions, Apple shares, gold, land and Ivy League PhD.. Then started boasting about his young wife. Then deleted all his posts.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

How curious. It was all lies apparently.
Jack The Stripper

Sipo need to do an investigation
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And here is the former Sustainability Mod - : https://www.boards.ie/discussion/commen ... t_66697245

and the awful Regional Mod - : https://www.boards.ie/discussion/205819 ... by-muffler
Last edited by Guburnor on Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: leave usernames out of it please
'no more blah blah blah'
Jack The Stripper

It was once a grand place to post but it lacked common sense. The bit of faux power they exercise on that site is embarrassing.