Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Will this place take over from Boards?

If you're of the view that there is a need for an old school, simple style, classic BB, with more focus on debate and discussion than bells and whistles, then gubu.ie is for you. See here for some site specific information, admin announcements, forum requests, feedback etc.
Forum rules
No racism or hate speech. Attack the post not the poster. Don't be a dick.
Dave Hedgehog

Will this place take over from Boards?

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

Obviously this has been set up after the utter shambles that was the "relaunch" of Boards. The Internet has changed vastly since Boards was born so the appetite for a similar format may be scant. It would be good though to have an alternative to Boards that isn't reddit.

So, is there any chance this place will thrive or is it destined to fail?
Guburnor
Site Admin

Re: Will this place take over from Boards?

Post by Guburnor »

Hello and welcome. Yes, the relaunch of boards was the trigger to set this up. We believe that there is an appetite for old school, classic BB, discussion, with lighter touch moderation. Time will tell whether it will thrive or not!

Let us know if there is a specific forum you want us to set up and we will do so.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

It would be nice if it did and even if just enough people stopped posting on Boards and moved here until something is done to restore Boards....I for one won't post anywhere on Boards except the couple of threads about the shambles.
'no more blah blah blah'
Dave Hedgehog

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

Boards has imo been on the wane for years and it is very much overly moderated in certain forums. Don't get me wrong, I don't want a free for all forum and the caveat of don't be a dick is a perfect one but there have been a number of mod additions to the busier forums over the last few years who have not a clue. It's unfortunate but its the lack of comparable alternatives that have kept me returning to it. Maybe that will change now.

The layout and functionality of this type of forum is perfect imo, nothing fancy, talk shite and read shite, the purpose of any decent forum.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Dave Hedgehog wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:21 pmThe layout and functionality of this type of forum is perfect imo, nothing fancy, talk shite and read shite, the purpose of any decent forum.
That's the idea. Keep it simple. We will be adding a thanks button though :D
Heart on Fire

Post by Heart on Fire »

Would different forum names be an idea? Instead of having an After Hours it could be called something else?
Osamabindipper

Post by Osamabindipper »

May not take over but its a new option and be interesting to see it grow... I'm in. Best of luck and hope you get all the support you need Mr gub.

Post by 765489 »

Well done gubu. Although I left boards I used to use the touch site to still read what the fine people of the farming and forestry forum were discussing. Hopefully some people will come over to check this site out. Registered to support the site. :D
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Heart on Fire wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:31 pmWould different forum names be an idea? Instead of having an After Hours it could be called something else?
That's a fair enough comment re After Hours. Any suggestions?

Not much we can do about Current Affairs though!
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Osamabindipper wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:38 pm May not take over but its a new option and be interesting to see it grow... I'm in. Best of luck and hope you get all the support you need Mr gub.
Thanks Osama, welcome aboard.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:42 pm Well done gubu. Although I left boards I used to use the touch site to still read what the fine people of the farming and forestry forum were discussing. Hopefully some people will come over to check this site out. Registered to support the site. :D
Thanks, farming and forestry was one of my favourite boards to lurk in, though never farmed a day in my life! Very happy to have a farming forum here if there is interest.
Dave Hedgehog

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

Gub, will you open a sports forum please?

Post by 765489 »

Guburnor wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:43 pm
Heart on Fire wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:31 pmWould different forum names be an idea? Instead of having an After Hours it could be called something else?
Anyone old enough to remember Temple of the Screaming Electron ? Was a forum called Half Baked that was similar to After Hours before Jeff pulled the plug on the whole site.
Osamabindipper

Post by Osamabindipper »

I always thought of After Hours to be a chill out lounge so maybe something along them lines be an idea. Not very original I guess but hey it's a start 😁😁

Already this place more sence then the new boards ha.

#Nowye'refixed
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Dave Hedgehog wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:52 pm Gub, will you open a sports forum please?
Done.
Dave Hedgehog

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

Guburnor wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:00 pm
Dave Hedgehog wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:52 pm Gub, will you open a sports forum please?
Done.
Top man!

(apologies if I've assumed your gender :lol: )
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Dave Hedgehog wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:05 pmTop man!

(apologies if I've assumed your gender :lol: )
Assumed correct!
Scorchio

Post by Scorchio »

'What's the Craic?' Instead of after hours.
Nyum Nyum

Post by Nyum Nyum »

Hello 8-)
Osamabindipper

Post by Osamabindipper »

Nyum Nyum wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:45 amHello 8-)
Is it me you're looking for?
Nyum Nyum

Post by Nyum Nyum »

Osamabindipper wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:57 am
Nyum Nyum wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:45 amHello 8-)
Is it me you're looking for?
JayRoc
Verified Username

Post by JayRoc »

If Boards doesn't roll back on the "update" debacle I hope this place takes off.

If I'm being honest I probably don't post very much anymore but I enjoy an aul' browse every day and this format is exactly what I want. It's extremely user friendly. Well done

Thanks for setting it up and best of luck
Wibbs
Verified Username

Post by Wibbs »

I dunno about take over, but by jesus it's refreshingly simple to navigate as oul style bb forums are. Sometimes extra functionality leads to decreased functionality where it matters.
Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.
Kaiser
Verified Username

Post by Kaiser »

Hmm this looks familiar! :)

Great stuff guys. Hopefully this takes off as I think we all know that the Boards staff won't roll back and probably won't even acknowledge most of the points being raised unfortunately. Users will be expected to "suck it up" as they slowly work through what they've identified as issues.

Even if this site doesn't replace Boards, it would be good to have a viable alternative anyway.

One request/suggestion though - can the "user panel" on posts be moved to the left rather than the right side?
Wibbs
Verified Username

Post by Wibbs »

Just my humble anyway, but... I reckon the problem with forums is that they're old style and mostly pupulated by older interwebs users. The younger demographics are on twitter, whatsapp, snapchat, tik tok and the like. Instant short sharp posts that can be rattled off on phones. Even facebook plays into that, as does youtube. And fair enough, but it has hit forums hard. The rise of the echo chamber killed them too.

I've seen it on loads of forums I've been a member on over the years. Once big car forums going dead and mostly now on facebook(where the signal/noise ratio went the wrong way). A few of the old watch collector forums are still going strong, but that's a hobby of middle aged men for the most part so not a shock.

Boards should aim for the older set. The 30/35+ demographic. They're not getting the younger in any numbers any more. The older set don't like change and increased complexity for no good reason. They want something comfortable. The new site isn't.
Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.