Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The Art and the Artist.

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.
Mr Daniel F. O'Leary

The Art and the Artist.

Post by Mr Daniel F. O'Leary »

For many years, we've heard about people in the Entertainment industry and the Arts being absolutely awful people behind the scenes. Examples include Roman Polanski, Harvey Weinstein, John Landis, Caravaggio and Marc Boland/T Rex, just to name a few.

You've probably heard the term "Separating the Art from the Artist" before and What's wrong with that, really?

Problem with that, though is Art is often very personal to the Artist themselves. It doesn't matter what the medium is, whether it's music, literature, film, a play, painting or video game, the views of the people behind them are often found in the end product. If the artist is a bad person, you can't really separate them easily.

However, there is a view out there that once the artist/creator releases something, they don't really own it. Nick Cave brought this point up when discussing Morrissey with a fan upset by his views on his website.
https://www.theredhandfiles.com/views-on-morrissey/

What are your thoughts on this matter? Do you believe art and the artist can be separated and why/why not?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: The Art and the Artist.

Post by Del.Monte »

What's your problem with Marc Bolan? I never heard anything bad had come out about him - a wild personal life but nothing awful - unlike Gary Glitter who I can't listen to anymore even though some of his stuff was great back in the '70s.
'no more blah blah blah'
Mr Daniel F. O'Leary

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:50 pm What's your problem with Marc Bolan? I never heard anything bad had come out about him - a wild personal life but nothing awful - unlike Gary Glitter who I can't listen to anymore even though some of his stuff was great back in the '70s.
He slept with underage girls in the 1970s.
https://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/ar ... -sexuality

Post by 490808 »

I can happily ignore an artist because I don't like the person. But then I often find I don't like the art anyway, Francis Bacon springs to mind, don't like the art or the artist.

I don't think Harvey Weinstein comes into it because he was a promoter and producer and that's well removed from any original art.
Mr Daniel F. O'Leary

The Continental Op wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:07 am I don't think Harvey Weinstein comes into it because he was a promoter and producer and that's well removed from any original art.
Or is it? Considering that directors like Tarantino knew what Weinstein was doing, but said nothing about it.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/o ... than-i-did

Post by 490808 »

All I'm saying is that I don't in anyway consider Weinstein an artist.

Do we hold Caravaggio's patrons culpable in some way? - Del.Monte I'm thinking of you :lol:
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

I think there's a big difference between a performing artist and an artist. You're hardly likely to be able listen to Gary Glitters music without the fact that hes a pedo intruding as it's his voice you're listening to. Somebody like Polanski is a different matter, I think he should have done time, but I really enjoy some of the films he directed all the same.

The Morrissey thing I find hilarious, there's Smiths fans out there who can't listen to them anymore because their hero has the wrong opinion one of the central tenets of their faith. It's gas that they're so precious.

Always funny that people go on about Bolan while Bowie has a get out of pedo jail card.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I'm not going to get into a discussion about paedos here but it was the late 1960s/early 1970's and 'groupies' , as they were euphemistically called, were an accepted part of the scene and nobody raised it as an issue. I wasn't a rock star, a groupie or a paedo so I'm not going there.
'no more blah blah blah'
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:56 pm I'm not going to get into a discussion about paedos here but it was the late 1960s/early 1970's and 'groupies' , as they were euphemistically called, were an accepted part of the scene and nobody raised it as an issue. I wasn't a rock star, a groupie or a paedo so I'm not going there.
I'm happy enough to say that f****ing schoolkids was every bit as illegal in the 60s and 70s as it was in the 50s, 80s and 90s. The only difference between Bowie, Bolan, Page et al and all the other celebrity nonces of that era was that the Rock stars were never prosecuted.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The Continental Op wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:38 pm All I'm saying is that I don't in anyway consider Weinstein an artist.

Do we hold Caravaggio's patrons culpable in some way? - Del.Monte I'm thinking of you :lol:
He had some serious issues didn't he. Anyway I not a fan of his work which is just as well as I could just about afford a postcard of one his paintings - this one is €3.60.

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Banshee Bones wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:06 pm I'm happy enough to say that f****ing schoolkids was every bit as illegal in the 60s and 70s as it was in the 50s, 80s and 90s. The only difference between Bowie, Bolan, Page et al and all the other celebrity nonces of that era was that the Rock stars were never prosecuted.
Which is more or less what I said.
'no more blah blah blah'