Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Naturalised Citizens who have settled down in another country because the loved it so much

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.

Naturalised Citizens who have settled down in another country because the loved it so much

Post by 95438756 »

Like the German lady who left Germany and now lives in the Norwegian wilderness.

Here in Ireland, we had Gerard van geldren who settled down in Ireland, coming originally from Holland.
In the early years of flight, British born Henry Farman settled down in France, because he preferred it so much

Any cool individuals you know personally like that?
Hairy-Joe

Re: Naturalised Citizens who have settled down in another country because the loved it so much

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Ah, Cool Mountain. I've been there before. It's one wild place.....
isha
Verified Username

Re: Naturalised Citizens who have settled down in another country because the loved it so much

Post by isha »

A lot settled in the NW or in Cork. There is a saying I heard a long time ago among the hippies, the NW is the place you go to work (through your crap), and Cork is the place you go to dream. I don't know where that leaves the hippies in the Burren - half sloshing through the crap, half dreaming, I suppose.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

gugleguy wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:34 pm Any cool individuals you know personally like that?
Am I cool? :mrgreen:

My own move to France was largely motivated by the possibility of being able to live the kind of lifestyle that I wanted, something which is no longer possible in Ireland and was never going to be possible in the UK. I haven't bothered to seek naturalisation because my EU-ness gives me access to everything except the ballot box, but in just about every other way I'm fully integrated into The System and can joke - or rant - about it like any of the natives.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

CelticRambler wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:58 pm Am I cool? :mrgreen:

My own move to France was largely motivated by the possibility of being able to live the kind of lifestyle that I wanted, something which is no longer possible in Ireland and was never going to be possible in the UK. I haven't bothered to seek naturalisation because my EU-ness gives me access to everything except the ballot box, but in just about every other way I'm fully integrated into The System and can joke - or rant - about it like any of the natives.
I think you're kind of cool for doing this. I flirt with an on/off idea to leave Ireland, but the main hurdle is my wife, who is Spanish, and whilst not a naturalised Irish citizen, she loves it here and is not in a hurry to move elsewhere!

Post by 95438756 »

Good to get Balanced opinions here! Sometimes I do get very tired here ... especially with the national broadcaster. could be worse I suppose.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

schmittel wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:30 pm I flirt with an on/off idea to leave Ireland, but the main hurdle is my wife, who is Spanish, and whilst not a naturalised Irish citizen, she loves it here and is not in a hurry to move elsewhere!
That's a conflict of interest that shouldn't be ignored. The British "expat" forums (before they all fizzled out) were full of stories of couples whose dream quickly turned to a nightmare because the two parties weren't equally enthusiastic about the move. Myself and MrsCR were alerted to that well before we started planning our change, so talked through all the "push" and "pull" factors over several years. We also involved the children in the decision in a serious way. When we found the "right" place, it was right for everyone; which, incidentally, happened very quickly - probably because we'd made it a full family affair.

Now while we did end up with our own nightmare, that was due to other issues, and even though we've ended up as "former" couple, we're still essentially living the same lifestyle (albeit 2000km apart :lol: ) and either could up sticks and go and live with the other at short notice if circumstances really demanded it.

I do sometimes look at those opportunities to buy a house for 1€ in Italy, or similar, but then I look around and see that I've got all the best opportunities exactly where I am, and can enjoy the others with selective effort.