Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Reading the instructions

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.

Reading the instructions

Post by 490808 »

I don't read all instructions but when I saw piece of paper that dropped out from a roll of rope I bought in Lidl I was interested to see what it could possibly tell me. LOL looks like I shouldn't use the rope at all .

My rather autistic reading of the "instructions
  • Not Suitable for use as personal safety equipment or arial sports - fair enough.

Do not use for childs swing - yeah OK.

Do not use to secure loads - you what!

Do not exceed specified load capacity - why would I?

Not suitable for dynamic loads - hmmmm getting a bit technical.

Do not lift loads - I can't tie anything down with it now I can't lift anything with it!

Do not pull over sharp edges - you mean like when I'm not securing anything down or not holding anything up?

Do not knot (knots reduce load capacity) - Its like rope.

Do not use damaged ropes - fair enough but if there is no use for it how can I damage it?

Keep away from children - always good advice especially when they are playing up.

Avoild contact with chemicals and oil - back to some common sense.

Temerature range from -15C to + 45C - fair enough.
Suppose it would at least be safe to use by anyone with a peanut alergy.

Edit> Anyone have any insight into how the "list" tags are supposed to work? I was trying to produce a bullet pointed list :oops:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Reading the instructions

Post by CelticRambler »

The Continental Op wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:06 pm Keep away from children - always good advice especially when they are playing up.
Whatever about the rest, that point is worth taking heed of. Once upon a parenthood, for his birthday, my then ... five? year-old son asked for a hank of rope as his main present. He got his wish (B&Q's finest), and was immensely pleased with it, sufficiently so that he took it to playschool every day.

We, the considerate parents, subsequently found ourselves on the receiving end of a social worker's visit. Apparently, playschools take a dim view of children using their imaginations to describe 1001 things you can do with a length of rope ... :roll:

Post by 490808 »

I assume later on he Boy Scouts?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Nah, he skipped that phase ... but to this day, he always has a decent length of rope in a pocket or a backpack! :mrgreen:

I have twice been particularly surprised by supplied instructions: the first time, those accompanying an "all weather" polytunnel-type greenhouse, which specified that the protective covers should be removed from the frame during periods of strong wind, heavy rain and snow. :shock:

The second was when an instruction leaflet fell out of a pair of wellies. :o I did read it, and was mightily reassured to know that my mother had correctly taught me how to put on a pair of wellies all those years ago.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

A lot of those silly warnings have come about because someone was stupid enough to try it, sue and win because it didn't say not to use the microwave to dry pets (yes I found that one in a microwave I bought in Curry's)
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Microwaved pet curry, what?!
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I know I should have phrased it better, I meant I found in in the instruction book.

I actually did see a "warning, may contain nuts" on a packet of peanuts!