Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Dennis Waterman (1948 - 2022) RIP

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Dennis Waterman (1948 - 2022) RIP

Post by Del.Monte »

1970's icon and British TV hardman from the popular TV series 'The Sweeney' and 'Minder' died on the 8th May. I only heard about it tonight and there doesn't seem to have seem much about it or perhaps I missed it. Both series were crackers and he was well cast alongside John Thaw in The Sweeney and George Cole in Minder. I had forgotten that he also had a singing career and he sang the theme song for Minder "I could be so good for you" which reached No.3. in the British charts.

'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Re: Dennis Waterman (1948 - 2022) RIP

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I saw the news break on Monday.
The Sweeney & Minder are two of my favourite ever series. I did a full Sweeney re-watch during 2020/2021 (one episode every Monday) followed by Minder - am up to series 8 there which is the first one with Ray.

I played I Could Be So Good For You at an 80s night back in 2018.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

I was at a family wedding in Killarney at the weekend and we actually had a conversation about Denis Waterman. I was asking if he was still alive and my bother in law said he met him a few months ago and got a photo with him. Shocked to then hear the news on Sunday.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Always gave the impression that he didn't have to act all that much to play his characters. He was a boxer and his brother was a very good boxer. Dennis was also embroiled in some controversy after making comments about hitting his wife.

Mad that he was only in his twenties and Thaw was only in his thirties during The Sweeney.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

oh yeah, I see a few people including Kay Burley (sky news) and the UK Education Secretary have paid tribute to Pete Waterman. Idiots. but made me laugh when I thought of this song

"Got more money than Stock, Aitken and Dennis Waterman put together!"
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Funny you mentioned Pete Waterman as that was the person I first thought of when I saw the news but I like to check my facts before making an arse of myself. I like Peter Waterman - because he's a train spotter and still going strong.
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Carter and the Guv back together!

And they haven't had any dinner, you slaaaag!!! RIP Dennis, class act!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Boardsie Exile

Post by Boardsie Exile »

ITV4 has been running old episodes of The Sweeney and Minder on a near continuous loop for years. A little surprised he never found his way into EastEnders for a stint. Had ageing, cockney, pub landlord written all over him imo.

RIP.
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

Boardsie Exile wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:50 pm ITV4 has been running old episodes of The Sweeney and Minder on a near continuous loop for years. A little surprised he never found his way into EastEnders for a stint. Had ageing, cockney, pub landlord written all over him imo.

RIP.
His daughter was in Eastenders years ago.