Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Revolut ór N26

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.
Séimhe

Revolut ór N26

Post by Séimhe »

I’m not up to date with these banks. Once upon a time revolut wasn’t a real bank so funds were not as safe with them. Now apparently they are an actual bank in Ireland.

Is there a standout winner between the two? I’m looking to drop BOI completely.
Hugh_Bigazz

Re: Revolut ór N26

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

N26, Revolut still don't do direct debit
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

That’s important, thanks. Just remembered that Eventbrite wouldn’t accept my N26 card to for my event because it’s based in Germany. I might contact their support and see if they can do anything.
Frank

Post by Frank »

N26 was always days to top up. Revolut can be done in seconds.
46a

Post by 46a »

Why not both?
They are both free, i use N26 as a bank account and send money to Revolut instantly, the disposable debit card on Revolut is perfect for online spending
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

46a wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:45 pm Why not both?
They are both free, i use N26 as a bank account and send money to Revolut instantly, the disposable debit card on Revolut is perfect for online spending
I presume it's because they want to get their wages paid into one
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Can't give a side-by-side comparison because I don't have N26; most of us in the family have Revolut, and primarily as an add-on to a "real" bank. Eldest son find Revolut's numerous free virtual cards a very useful feature for his online transactions (he never uses a real card); I use it primarily for foreign currency transactions, and for swapping funds with other family members.

I'm a bit old school about banking, but if the "bricks and mortar" banks don't stop feckin me around with all their so-called security measures, I might respond to Revolut's recent invitation to trust them with all my money. Maybe.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I'm a bit of a luddite in that I use a bricks and mortar bank (AIB). I'm another that would be interested in getting people's experiences and thoughts.

Naturally I've a few direct debits but I'd hardly go shopping online twice a month. I tend to use cash mainly for day to day as I can see what I'm spending. I learned the hard way with plastic, I couldn't see what I was spending and ended up with some shocks before payday
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:39 am I'm a bit of a luddite in that I use a bricks and mortar bank (AIB). I'm another that would be interested in getting people's experiences and thoughts.

Naturally I've a few direct debits but I'd hardly go shopping online twice a month. I tend to use cash mainly for day to day as I can see what I'm spending. I learned the hard way with plastic, I couldn't see what I was spending and ended up with some shocks before payday
The big advantages of Revolut are the virtual disposable cards and no exchange rate fees on international currencies

N26 is a German bank, but it's completely in the phone app