Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Aldi - Is there somewhere to report price gouging?

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.
SmartinMartin

Aldi - Is there somewhere to report price gouging?

Post by SmartinMartin »

Is there a trading standards department in Ireland, or something similar? I noticed today that Aldi are selling pawpaw ointment for £1.49 (€1.74) in the UK, but €2.99 here for the exact same item. That's just wrong.
Mirabeau

Re: Aldi - Is there somewhere to report price gouging?

Post by Mirabeau »

Bring this straight to the UN.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

SmartinMartin wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:40 pm Is there a trading standards department in Ireland, or something similar? I noticed today that Aldi are selling pawpaw ointment for £1.49 (€1.74) in the UK, but €2.99 here for the exact same item. That's just wrong.
You're forgetting shipping costs to Ireland plus BREXIT, GDPR, LGBTQ+ and the Ukraine War - these all contribute to the price difference. As for complaining.... :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Eggonyerface
Verified Username

Post by Eggonyerface »

Higher shipping costs, higher wages, higher insurance, electricity, rent etc etc etc
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Breaking news OP! Ireland left the UK 100 years ago. If Aldi want to charge €2.99 or even €12.99, that's their prerogative, there's no requirement to charge a similar price to any other country. If you want to get it for £1.74 your best bet is to go to the UK
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I think SmartinMartin has a point. For some reason we as a buying public do consent to prices that are considerably over and above what are paid in other countries.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

isha wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:56 am I think SmartinMartin has a point. For some reason we as a buying public do consent to prices that are considerably over and above what are paid in other countries.
There are lots of reasons, taxation, customs, economies of scale, local bye laws, subsidies etc. etc. For years we, in the Republic, paid considerably less for food products than our neighbours in N.I.. Did we complain? We pay multiples of what is paid in other EU countries for alcohol, tobacco and other consumer goods for the very reasons I have stated, why pick on prices charged in the UK? It's the colonial syndrome.

Post by 95438756 »

SmartinMartin wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:40 pm Is there a trading standards department in Ireland, or something similar? I noticed today that Aldi are selling pawpaw ointment for £1.49 (€1.74) in the UK, but €2.99 here for the exact same item. That's just wrong.
I've an observation from another angle: Airfix kits.

Aldi UK is advertising the bejayzus out of an Airfix kit sales campaign recently, also on YouTube.

Here: Nothin. In previous years Aldi would flog airfix kits here in open site.
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

Soooo, nobody can answer the actual question I asked?
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

SmartinMartin wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:01 pm Soooo, nobody can answer the actual question I asked?
https://www.interpol.int/en/Contacts/Contact-INTERPOL
KHD

Post by KHD »

SmartinMartin wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:01 pm Soooo, nobody can answer the actual question I asked?
Don't think there is much you can do about it man. I can't see any mechanism that would support a complaint like that here. Different country, different cost operating environment. Would be different if say they were charging higher in two of their branches located here that say one was over in the southside the other in the northside ( Which did go on with one supermarket chain here some time ago ).
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

They have supermarkets on the northside? :D
'no more blah blah blah'
BannerD

Post by BannerD »

Www.Ccpc.ie
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

BannerD wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:28 pmWww.Ccpc.ie

Or you could just wait for the next storm and go piss into that.
mrmercedes

Post by mrmercedes »

Was the reply here a year later.
Hopefully the OP bought pawpaw ointment elsewhere.

I actually don't know what paw paw ointment is ..