Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Aviation news and views

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.
KHD

Aviation news and views

Post by KHD »

Re: Aviation news and views

Post by 678904673 »

KHD wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:16 pm Flybe gone bust again.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2023/0 ... -flybe-uk/
A shame. Everything I've read lead me to believe that the aviation industry was really taking off
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Happy Days wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:32 pm A shame. Everything I've read lead me to believe that the aviation industry was really taking off
LOL.

It took a go around on that one for the humour to land. The first time it just flew right over my head.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Looks like drones are invading Dublin Airport's airfields again. Two days in a row. Wonder what eejits are behind this.

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2023/020 ... e-airport/
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Eamon Ryan met the DAA today and says it is a fierce difficult problem. Why he was dealing with this in the first place as it rightfully should fall to the Gardai and Security services. If any asshole can fly their drone at the airport what's to stop some ISIS nutter.....Anything to be said for another mass??

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2023 ... incidents/
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And here we go again - services at Dublin Airport suspended from 6.27 pm this evening due to a positive sighting of a drone.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Feck it the Ukrainians would have that drone down in a few minutes.....

What I can't understand is those convicted (eventually) are not suit for the costs of the delays. Them numbers are probably stupidly big and would serve as a warning.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Michael O'Leary says Eamonn Ryan should resign if he can't sort out the situation today. Ryan is a clown and needs to go.

Jon-atin Healy thinks confiscating the drones would be more effective than fining the owners as they are the pride and joy of the owners....WTF! :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:48 am Michael O'Leary says Eamonn Ryan should resign if he can't sort out the situation today. Ryan is a clown and needs to go.

Jon-atin Healy thinks confiscating the drones would be more effective than fining the owners as they are the pride and joy of the owners....WTF! :roll:
I can think of a multitude of reasons why Ryan should resign, I can't think of a single one why he should be there in the first place. Fcuking imbecile. The greatest argument for abortion I have ever come across.
How much time has been spent in Government since this latest rash of drone attacks started, working on a strategy to combat them? I'd warrant very little. We'll have studies into what the Dutch or the Brits or the Outer Mongolians are doing but we won't think for ourselves.
Drones seem to be very effective at bringing down drones, I doubt the toerags who operate these drones outlay a lot of money on them so surely it would be cost effective to have a fleet of drones to combat them. I'm sure I'm over simplifying it but I'd like to see what sort of work has been done.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:48 am Michael O'Leary says Eamonn Ryan should resign if he can't sort out the situation today. Ryan is a clown and needs to go.

Does anyone know if Dublin airport has been geo-fenced ?
And if not then why not at this stage?

There has to be stiff penalties for anyone caught doing this.
As O'Leary pointed out it causes huge disruption and the worst case scenario could result in huge fatalities.

As for that utter gobshyte Ryan doing anything, there is more chance of pigs flying through controlled airspace.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I don't normally agree with Michael O'Leary but he's right. Ryan should go. It's the main airport on the island and how most people enter our little island. The airport is VITAL to keep open and Ryan has his head in the sand on this (probably as it doesn't involve cycle lanes).
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

jmayo wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:02 am Does anyone know if Dublin airport has been geo-fenced ?
And if not then why not at this stage?
Geofencing is not some magic force-field; it works within the software of the aircraft flying. Your DJI drone will know that the airport is out-of-bounds because the Chinese are a great bunch of lads and follow the rules. Your average Dublin skanger flying a drone they've built themselves will almost certainly treat geofence coordinates like they treat speed limit signs.

Regardless of MOL's intervention, it does seem to me that the Irish government should hand the whole matter over to the Aer Corps, along with a bucketload of Euros dedicated to the accelerated development of a serious drone/anti-drone unit. That's the way "conventional" warfare is headed in any case, so they might as well get in a bit of easy practice while the drone invaders are relatively benign.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The whole thing is farcical anyway and I heard one Government TD yesterday who thought it might be an 'idea' to have the Gardai patrol the perimeter of the airport in unmarked cars. Make that man Garda commissioner!

The strength of Ireland's defence forces is approximately 8,500 and why all of the major airports are not already guarded by the them is beyond belief. Why have the defence forces at all if all they do is square bashing, sitting behind their desks and on overseas missions with the UN? During the height of the recent 'troubles' even the reservoirs were guarded by the army in case of attack by loyalist elements and, arguably, the threats now facing the State are greater now than then,
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

CelticRambler wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:19 pm Geofencing is not some magic force-field; it works within the software of the aircraft flying. Your DJI drone will know that the airport is out-of-bounds because the Chinese are a great bunch of lads and follow the rules. Your average Dublin skanger flying a drone they've built themselves will almost certainly treat geofence coordinates like they treat speed limit signs.

Regardless of MOL's intervention, it does seem to me that the Irish government should hand the whole matter over to the Aer Corps, along with a bucketload of Euros dedicated to the accelerated development of a serious drone/anti-drone unit. That's the way "conventional" warfare is headed in any case, so they might as well get in a bit of easy practice while the drone invaders are relatively benign.
As has been shown in the past, the political parties who have walked the halls of government in this country do not take our defence seriously. They would rather leave it to the RAF or a bunch of trawlermen from Cork. It's embarrassing to look at nations with similar populations like Finland and Norway and how they can acquit themselves at anything, not just defence while we have spent our whole period of independence figuring out the best ways to keep the cute hoors and the charlatans in comfort and riches.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

"Sure who would invade us?" seems to be every political party's approach to defense.

Yes we are on an island so invading is hard. It's not like the Orcs can roll across a land border. That gives us a very false sense of security. Given the way things are going, we have to protect vital infrastructure.
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

The government are too busy protecting and providing for the droves of gimmigrants from the war and persecution in London.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Meanwhile, whodathunkit: banning short-haul flights mightn't be that great for the climate after all.

(relevant segment from 9:04 to 11:45, if timestamp doesn't work)

That said, I'm not convinced the "journey time" argument is as strong as made out - not when one takes into account the fact that (continental) airports tend to be a long way from everywhere, compared to railway stations, so you'd usually have to add two additional journeys to the flight in even the best of cases. Plus time to clear security.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Left quodec junior to the airport early this morning. Wasn't looking forward to it, with all the talk of no short/long term parking, and I was right. The set down area at T1 was chockablock with cars, vans and taxis, all either looking for a space to drop off, or parking up to collect arrivals coming through from the departure area. Its a total unpoliced mess. Previously when I went to collect someone coming home, I would pay for an hour in the short-term, get my pick-up and head off. Now that the short-term is going to be continually full, I'll have to join the great unwashed and scramble for an 'illegal' spot in the set down area. Why this can't be regulated or managed better is a mystery. But, then the DAA, with their 'fire brigade' policy, continue to run our main international air hub as if they have other things to be doing!!! It's just not good enough.