Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Favourite Household Devices

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.
isha
Verified Username

Favourite Household Devices

Post by isha »

I'm looking for inspiration for future purchases.

A simple wind-up timer that rings is one of the best things I ever bought.

Recently I invested in a proper old fashioned string mop plus a large industrial size mop bucket and push wringer. It has changed my life. Wooden floors throughout house and I laugh now as I swish through in a flash using scalding water that dries so fast. Before that it was hands and knees and washing the place with my tears.

This long stick-on upright hook I bought over lockdown - remember when Amazon was our only source of pleasure in life? - it holds kitchen roll, neatly over the counter. It's revolutionary. (Geddit? 😊)

If you want to impress a lady buy her a functional black pepper grinder. Benjamin Boyce said this recently and the boy has grown into wisdom, I say.

Inspire me with your DOMESTIC devices, implements and appliances.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Re: Favourite Household Devices

Post by 678904673 »

I'd be lost without these household device
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (9.47 KiB) Viewed 10312 times
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

To be fair when I was making the beds for the visitors en route I thought is it bad that I wish I had slaves?
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

DeLonghi Magnifica S or EVO and a good travel mug, if you like a good coffee without the daily expense of buying out. I’ve saved a fortune over the past 5 years with mine anyway.

Cast iron cookware, although I suspect you may already be well kitted out in this regard. A ceramic pan is also great to have for things that tend to stick to even well seasoned iron. Teflon, be gone. Awful stuff altogether.

A knife sharpening guide and a japanese waterstone. Nothing better than properly sharpened kitchen knives and a guide like this one makes it very easy to get it right every time:

https://www.fine-tools.com/messerschleifhilfe.html

Finally, it’s hard to beat a proper soup mug.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

A good feckin hammer.
The amount of things you can fix around the house with good old blunt force trauma :)
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

A pack of pencils.

“I had it in my hand just a minute ago..”
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

My Dyson - I use it to kill spiders whilst walking round like Ripley!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I like spiders 😥

In terms of coffee the aeropress seems to be very popular with everyone else in the house. I don't drink coffee but they use it all the time and it's very portable if you want good coffee elsewhere. Plus it needs no electricity.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

isha wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:44 am I like spiders 😥

In terms of coffee the aeropress seems to be very popular with everyone else in the house. I don't drink coffee but they use it all the time and it's very portable if you want good coffee elsewhere. Plus it needs no electricity.
My apologies to the arachnid community and their allies but I am terrified of the wee bastards !!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

This is a handy yoke.

Kitten squasher.jpg
Kitten squasher.jpg (227.65 KiB) Viewed 10245 times
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

What is it?
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

isha wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:33 pmWhat is it?
It's for squishing cans. It easily compacts them for recycling so they're less bulky.
The kids like using it too.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I like it. Good idea.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Apelles wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:08 pm It's for squishing cans. It easily compacts them for recycling so they're less bulky.
The kids like using it too.
D'you mean you never taught your children the therapeutic value of stamping the life out of a can with their own feet? :shock:

Shameful parenting, I say. :evil:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Apelles wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:27 am This is a handy yoke.
Did it feature on a segment on Irish inventions on the Late Late Show years ago along with something similar for squashing stuff into your wheelie bin?
'no more blah blah blah'
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

I like the toasted sandwich maker 🤤
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:01 pm Did it feature on a segment on Irish inventions on the Late Late Show years ago along with something similar for squashing stuff into your wheelie bin?
I don't know if it was on it cause I never watch that Late Late shite. One of the leanaí got it as a stocking filler for me.
I must investigate the thing you mention for squashing stuff into a wheelie bin though, sounds like it could be a useful implement.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Setanta wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:50 pm I like the toasted sandwich maker 🤤
For a little while during lockdown we enjoyed our George Foreman grill. It's not bad. But those were also times when we were easily amused. We haven't used it in more than a year and I have packed it away in the back of the cupboard where other devices like a waffle-maker languish.

Post by 678904673 »

Apelles wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:27 am This is a handy yoke.

Kitten squasher.jpg
I have a hamster that refuses to die and your device is giving me an idea :D
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

This was great for the first couple of years when I got it off Adverts for €40.
20230814_064429.jpg
20230814_064429.jpg (62.88 KiB) Viewed 10150 times

It's called a KVM switch and allows easy switching between multiple computers, keyboards, audio speakers, video monitors, mice, flash drives
and external hard drives, without the hassle of continuously swapping over cables etc. You have everything wired in and just push a button for whatever system you want to access.
Recently though, its been glitching and some of the usb ports aren't working anymore.
I'm keeping my eye out for a replacement.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Happy Days wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:01 am I have a hamster that refuses to die and your device is giving me an idea :D
Someone's bet you to it. :lol:

Setanta

Post by Setanta »

isha wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:15 am For a little while during lockdown we enjoyed our George Foreman grill. It's not bad. But those were also times when we were easily amused. We haven't used it in more than a year and I have packed it away in the back of the cupboard where other devices like a waffle-maker languish.
There's a big step up from the George foreman to the toastie maker,.....they are e25 in Shaw's an very worthy investment ;)
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I have one of those flat grill toaster jobs. Love it! I make wraps or various toasted cheese on it every other day.
The great thing with the wraps is the sheer variety of stuff you can put in it. I even sometime lash some scrambled eggs in on the weekends and make breakfast wraps. Tis great. Has a permanent place on the counter beside the microwave.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Remembered this thread when I went looking for the right section in which to post something else.

If you don't already have one of these, I'd highly recommend it:

I think I paid 12€ for mine (a long time ago), but they seem to be about 17-20€ now. Absolutely brilliant when making job-lots of apple crumble/apple tart/stewed apple/apfelstrudel/apples-for-chutney ... cores and slices in one process.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I don't know, for the average non CR types it's another piece of Aldi/Lidl centre isle stuff that you would use once and then shove it into the back of a cupboard. I foolishly bought a sandwich toaster recently and after one use it's just taking up valuable counter space and will be heading to a charity shop soon. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'