Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Favourite Household Devices

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.
Norman Breaks

Re: Favourite Household Devices

Post by Norman Breaks »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:11 pm I don't know, for the average non CR types it's another piece of Aldi/Lidl centre isle stuff that you would use once and then shove it into the back of a cupboard. I foolishly bought a sandwich toaster recently and after one use it's just taking up valuable counter space and will be heading to a charity shop soon. :mrgreen:
I recommend you give it another try or a few if it's the type I'm thinking of.
Here are some ideas to add to your own:

Butter the side of the bread that will be touching the toaster
Sliced cheese inside
Hummas
Pickle slices (the savoury ones, not the sweet ones)
Roasted red peppers
Fried egg and cheese with some hot sauce for breakfast, or lunch
Tortilla wrap with some or all of the said ingredients above.

I normally let it toast for a few minutes until starting to get golden, flip it over and rotate 90 degrees so you get a crisscross pattern on it. Throw on a plate and let cool for a min or two while you fix your tea. Take a seat and enjoy.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Thanks but no thanks! I've gone back to simple under the grill toasties and the yoke will be moving to a new home before Christmas.
'no more blah blah blah'
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Haven't actually got one of these, but because the old taps buggered and we do need a new kitchen tap, I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these and making the kettle redundant altogether.
https://www.screwfix.ie/p/etal-elise-3- ... etal/525jl
If it works out it has the potential to become one of my favourite household devices.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Norman Breaks wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:15 pm I normally let it toast for a few minutes until starting to get golden, flip it over and rotate 90 degrees so you get a crisscross pattern on it. Throw on a plate and let cool for a min or two while you fix your tea. Take a seat and enjoy.
You're a feckin' genius.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

I had to live without a kitchen recently for a few weeks. I made great use out of 'toastie pockets'.... bags that you put your sambo in and then into a regular toaster, very nice!

Post by 6234567 »

My mokka pot.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Cobham wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:31 pm I had to live without a kitchen recently for a few weeks. I made great use out of 'toastie pockets'.... bags that you put your sambo in and then into a regular toaster, very nice!
Little foil bags I assume?

The aul' air fryer is quite handy in certain situations.

I do like the portable Dyson I won a few years back. The battery started to give out a few months back but I changed it out with a 3rd party one and it's been grand since.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

No they are light plastic bit like silicone? you get them in pkts of 2 or 4 and supposed to get 100 'goes' out of each but practically cleaning them are a bother so chucked after a few goes. I am looking out for an auld sandwich maker. Not given into airfryer yet tho have a halogen oven.