Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Disposable AA batteries - comparison

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Disposable AA batteries - comparison

Post by CelticRambler »

Not sure quite where to put this, and as many of the test subjects are French own-brand so not likely to be of relevance to an Irish audience, but the winner is ...

everyone's favourite German supermarket own brand.

Yerman tested a total of eighteen brands of battery, from the cheapest of the cheap to the dearest of the dear. Out of all, Lidl's Tronic brand came out clearly ahead of all the others in terms of Ah/€

Yerman also demonstrated that - in his tests at least - there was no significant difference between any "standard" battery and the "plus/max/mega" version of same, and in most cases the supposedly superior (and definitely more expensive) battery was, in fact, worse. He found the mid-range own-brand supermarket batteries to be damn-near identical to Duracell, Energizer and Varta.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Re: Disposable AA batteries - comparison

Post by JayZeus »

Don't take the following as judgement. It's not, but batteries like this piss me off big time.

IKEA rechargeable batteries are superb. Sanyo/Panasonic/Eneloop near equivalent, made in Japan. I've absolutely no use for AA/AAA/PP3 single use disposable 'recyclable' batteries these days. Using them seems very, very questionable to me now. I can understand for smoke alarms and medical type stuff, but not for general use.

And selling them so cheap, there's absolutely no way in hell that these have a fully sustainable and environmentally friendly supply chain. No chance.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

They are an absolute blight and how many million of them end up in landfill or worse ever day. At the very least there should be proper recycling along the lines of you have to hand in the equivalent number of AA/AAAs etc when you purchase replacements - much as used to be the way with milk bottles in shops before plastic and tetrapak became the norm. This of course will never happen as simple things just cannot be done but don't worry the feckin NPWS have reintroduced feckin Ospreys - the planet is saved. :evil: :evil: :evil:
'no more blah blah blah'
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

I detest batteries. The amount of them now ending up in landfill due to people smoking vapes (poisoning themselves and the planet) must be truly astonishing.