Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

60th anniversary of JFK’s assassination…

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.
quodec

60th anniversary of JFK’s assassination…

Post by quodec »

Although I was only 3 when it occurred, the 1963 assassination has interested me since I first saw a documentary’The Men Who Killed the President’ back in 1988. So many groups seemed to have had it in for him - and RFK, the Mafia, the CIA over the Bay of Pigs fiasco, the military for his attempts to extract the US from Vietnam, that, to me, it seems inevitable that Oswald was part of a bigger conspiracy to have JFK removed from office. What do you think- lone nut or conspiracy?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: 60th anniversary of JFK’s assassination…

Post by Del.Monte »

Snap! We must be the same age and I have only the vaguest memories of hearing about the assassination. I find the subject of his death totally depressing and prefer to remember him as the great statesman who faced down the Russians and as an honourable politician who would not recognise the USA if he was to come back today. That he was murdered is a fact, by whom we will probably never know and the more stuff that appears about conspiracies etc. only serves to muddy the waters.

I have the iconic photograph of him on my wall - rescued from a derelict property more than thirty years ago - and it remains one of my treasured possessions. The good die young!

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Bit of a side note. One of the pubs in the town I grew up in opened on the day Kennedy was assassinated. The news broke over here in the evening time and the owner closed the pub out of a mark of respect. I doubt that would happen today
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Like most people who die violently, Kennedy is painted whiter than white, the reality was quite different. His competence was questionable, his morality was questionable, his friends were questionable, all he had going for him was charisma.
I remember going to see the motorcade passing through Dublin and you couldn't move with the adoring throng. Nobody could dare to say a bad word about the local boy made good.
As they say "hindsight is 20/20 vision" and the best that can really be said about Kennedy is that he be placed somewhere between Bill Clinton and Boris Johnson.
quodec

Post by quodec »

In a way, it's the manner of his leaving this world that made his legacy, rather than what he achieved - or didn't - in his three-year presidency.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

marhay70 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:23 am Like most people who die violently, Kennedy is painted whiter than white, the reality was quite different. His competence was questionable, his morality was questionable, his friends were questionable, all he had going for him was charisma.
I remember going to see the motorcade passing through Dublin and you couldn't move with the adoring throng. Nobody could dare to say a bad word about the local boy made good.
As they say "hindsight is 20/20 vision" and the best that can really be said about Kennedy is that he be placed somewhere between Bill Clinton and Boris Johnson.
I don't see how anybody can say he is painted whiter than white and while he may have been, at the time, by now most people surely know of his failings. But let him that is without sin cast the first stone. I wonder how many of us would compare if our lives were put under the microscope. Anyway, for all his weaknesses he was a giant amongst men especially when compared with one of the microbes that you mentioned.
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:49 pm I don't see how anybody can say he is painted whiter than white and while he may have been, at the time, by now most people surely know of his failings. But let him that is without sin cast the first stone. I wonder how many of us would compare if our lives were put under the microscope. Anyway, for all his weaknesses he was a giant amongst men especially when compared with one of the microbes that you mentioned.
Let's face it, Hitler was a giant among men when compared to that particular wart on the face of humanity. As for Kennedy, he achieved nothing, very nearly had us all annihilated, and made stupid and reckless decisions in foreign policy, such as facilitating the removal of the Iraqi president which led to the Saddam era. His authorisaion of the Bay of Pigs was a prime example of his tenuous grasp of the realities on the ground in Cuba.
His assassination led to a cult movement which has elevated him to a candidate for canonisation, but saint, he was not.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

I remember some files were due to be released under Trump’s presidency and he delayed their release even further until 2021. First thing Biden did was delay them further.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/ ... lay-557339
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... -rcna52660

You’d think any national security concerns would be alleviated by now.
quodec

Post by quodec »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:20 pm I remember some files were due to be released under Trump’s presidency and he delayed their release even further until 2021. First thing Biden did was delay them further.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/ ... lay-557339
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... -rcna52660

You’d think any national security concerns would be alleviated by now.
You'd wonder what's the big secret if there's no big secret!!
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

quodec wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:42 pm You'd wonder what's the big secret if there's no big secret!!
There were several conspiracy theories at the time Russia, the Mafia and even LBJ were suspected at various times, of involvement in the assassination. There was not the animosity between the two main parties that there is now and even a joint conspiracy was suspected.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

marhay70 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:05 pm There were several conspiracy theories at the time Russia, the Mafia and even LBJ were suspected at various times, of involvement in the assassination. There was not the animosity between the two main parties that there is now and even a joint conspiracy was suspected.
Also CIA and FBI suspected.