Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Do you donate to Wikipedia?

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.
quodec

Do you donate to Wikipedia?

Post by quodec »

I’ve donated small amounts of money over the years, usually €10 or €20. Now they’re looking for more. I wonder do they just impose on those who have previously given or does everyone get a banner request when you open Wikipedia?
Last edited by quodec on Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Do you donate to Wikipedia?

Post by CelticRambler »

Every so often, I'd get a half-page request to contribute despite never having done so.

Wouldn't be surprised if the suggested amount is adjusted in line with each country's notional disposable income.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I occasionally contribute/edit information and always feel guilty for not donating as for all its supposed faults Wiki is a mine of information. I've just too many demands on my very limited resources as I continue to try and dig myself out of a decades old financial hole.
'no more blah blah blah'
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

With revenues totalling between 120-150 million USD per annum for the past few years, I don't think they'll be too stuck for a few euro from a man paying off bills and debts. I wouldn't give yourself a hard time over it.

https://wikimediafoundation.org/about/f ... -2022-2023
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Wikipedia figures.jpg
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

JayZeus wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:39 pm With revenues totalling between 120-150 million USD per annum for the past few years, I don't think they'll be too stuck for a few euro from a man paying off bills and debts. I wouldn't give yourself a hard time over it.

Thanks - my conscience is eased. Like Joe Duffy, my matty maticks aren't great - does the chart you posted really mean that Wiki have loads of dosh? What's with the poor mouth they post looking for donations?
'no more blah blah blah'
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:30 pm Thanks - my conscience is eased. Like Joe Duffy, my matty maticks aren't great - does the chart you posted really mean that Wiki have loads of dosh? What's with the poor mouth they post looking for donations?
Yes, a quarter of a billion dollars, give or take.

Plus 100 million dollars.

Poor mouth is right.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Thanks for posting that chart JayZeus. First time I've actually seen income and expense figures for Wikipedia. So my conscience is somewhat salved as well. Just wondering though, where their income comes from? 1000s of €10 and €20 donations or are there corporate payments too?
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

They also provide enterprise solutions for corporates and the likes to build/host internal knowledgebases and that sort of thing.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

JayZeus wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:39 pm With revenues totalling between 120-150 million USD per annum for the past few years, I don't think they'll be too stuck for a few euro from a man paying off bills and debts. I wouldn't give yourself a hard time over it.

I'd donated to them on occasions in the past after they'd messaged me with a large banner, given me the impression that they were going to impload if I didn't urgently give them at least €2.

After reading what JayZeus has showed that their actually making each year as a supposedly non-profit organisation . . I'm gonna take a more short arms and long pockets stance with donating to them anymore.
Banshee

Post by Banshee »

Wikipedia isn't reliable. They're preaching the synod of 1111 was in the rah in laois - for gods sake!