Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Car Tyres

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.
Cobham

Car Tyres

Post by Cobham »

I am due NCT and a car service planned in advance of same. I suspect I need new tyres! Many years since bought any. Should I leave it to garage to sort at time of service or get one of the dedicated tyre fitters to do same?
Apelles

Re: Car Tyres

Post by Apelles »

I'd imagine it's a slightly more expensive option to get the mechanic to change the tyres, rather than you going to direct to a dedicated tyre centre yourself. The wheels will also need alignment which most tyre centres can do.
Last edited by Apelles on Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

In my experience, a mechanic or service garage, will send the wheels out to a tyre fitting centre and charge you for the privilege.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Thks for feedback. Just see that nearest tyre place also does service and pre NCT check so will probably go with there rather than back to main dealer I have used in past 7 yrs. I like to keep record of services etc of any car but does not seem so important these days. NCT is due on March 3rd and next appointment at nearest centre is end of July. So have put self on 'priority list' and see if that works any better. It is a November car so always had service done that month and tied in with NCT but post covid they have given you extra months. This upsets my habit of a good service ahead of winter....
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Pre nct check is a total waste of money, the actual NCT is the best cheapest form of finding out whats needed. What any pre nct check garage cant find is the visual fails thats going to be found by Mr nct. I have had 2 cars failed in the last week that passed all the computer checks, but failed on visuals. And one incorrectly failed visual as the middle third brake light not working, which it was, but thats another thread.

And forget any meaningful objection to the nct fail sheet, or you will never get a PASS again on any car.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Car tyre center said my tyres were grand! Original set and I dont think ever rotated as per olden days.... 7 yrs old and c 24 kms
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Cobham wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:08 pm Car tyre center said my tyres were grand! Original set and I dont think ever rotated as per olden days.... 7 yrs old and c 24 kms
You'll get a "fail advisory" because the tyres are over six years old. I wouldn't worry too much, I've been getting that since 2017 on my wife's 2010 Fiat Panda. Original tyres too, although the car itself still hasn't done 50,000 km.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Wow 50K on original tyres! things have improved since my 'car mechanics course' way back when.... I thought life of a tyre was c 20 k and know well how rubber degrades in other things. I was in plaster for several months 25 yrs ago and car off the road in north facing driveway and tyres deteriorated.... Garda neighbour pointed out :(

And text message into phone about NCT for a Saturday afternoon test only 6 days after due date. I might go back to my old garage.... maybe rotate the tyres?
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

I was back for a service and garage chap said the tyres had been rotated down the years and that they were grand. So all set for NCT tomorrow!
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Cobham wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:44 pm I was back for a service and garage chap said the tyres had been rotated down the years and that they were grand. So all set for NCT tomorrow!
Best of luck. Just make sure your tyre pressures are correct, as this affects the headlamp alignment. You would be surprised by how much. And double check the tyres are on correctly as some tyres have directional rotation arrows on the tyres which mean they are either supposed to be on the right or left of the car, and not interchangeable. So dont assume because it passed before its ok.

And run your hands around a tyre inside and out, forwards and backwards with the tyre spinning. Last year I had a single strand of wire poking out 3 mm on the inside of a tyre that resulted in getting " dangerous fault do not drive " sticker on the window. My reaction was " feck that" pulled the sticker off the window, and drove home.