Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Defibrilators (AEDs)

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.
BrianD3

Defibrilators (AEDs)

Post by BrianD3 »

Have you thought about what you will do if a loved one goes into cardiac arrest, do you know where your nearest public defibrillator is? I was reminded of this today after reading, of all things, about footballer Gareth Bale installing a private one in his house. I was also thinking about the ongoing problems with our National Ambulance Service.

The nearest public defibrillator to me is 2 minutes away each way by car and there is a first responder group in the area but I'm still thinking about getting one for myself, looking at a Philips HS1 for about 1200 euros. Not a whole lot of money considering how these things can make a big difference and every second is vital. Obviously knowing CPR is essential as well. Main thing is to think about what you'd do and study the process before you are put in the situation and in a total panic. Anyone here a first responder or have any thoughts?

Re: Defibrilators (AEDs)

Post by 6234567 »

I was a First Responder in my last job.

I don't have much to say other than the below video might be of help.

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Just out of curiosity if you buy one of those defibrilators are you going to get a proper teaching in how to use it. More so will a person feel confident enough to actually attempt to use this on an individual who needs it. I always thought firstaid and cpr should be taught in schools to be honest.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

My understanding is that there is very little training needed to use an AED, the main thing is to keep a cool head and get working immediately. CPR requires more skill but even so, if you do it somewhat correctly it can still make a difference. If someone goes into cardiac arrest you ideally need to be doing both defib and CPR which is not going to happen if driving around in a panic looking for a public defibrillator (which you may find has been vandalised) or waiting for a volunteer first responder.

With the way Ireland has gone and is going, more than ever, the only person you can rely on for anything (from protecting your home to dealing with a medical emergency) is yourself and close family.
Last edited by BrianD3 on Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

True enough. But do many know when to consider the need for a defib unit, I doubt it. Who has the courage to make the decision that someone needs a shock to the heart to help them. Thats the thing that would worry me. If you use a defib unit on someone who does not need it, what harm can you do apart from maybe killing them?
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

kadman wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:09 am True enough. But do many know when to consider the need for a defib unit, I doubt it. Who has the courage to make the decision that someone needs a shock to the heart to help them. Thats the thing that would worry me. If you use a defib unit on someone who does not need it, what harm can you do apart from maybe killing them?
Many wouldn't know but then again people are idiots who don't plan ahead for or research even the simplest things - e.g. how many people have no idea what to do if their car gets a puncture. Especially if it happens in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. Do they have a torch? Is the spare flat? Will they have any idea what to do?

I'm far from an expert on defibrillators but my understanding is that if you do mess up royally and shock someone with an AED who isn't in cardiac arrest, you are unlikely to kill them. Might be different for the equipment used in hospitals.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I also just noticed that with the automatic defib units , they assess the electrical activity of the heart and only administer a shock if its needed. That sort of takes the guess work out of it. My recent heart attack 3 years ago wouldn't have needed a shock as there was no electrical activity problem at all, just a blockage.