Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

How many hours sleep do you get.

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.
notfromhere
Verified Username

How many hours sleep do you get.

Post by notfromhere »

For someone that up until a few years back that was burning the candle at both ends.I know struggle if i don't get 7 or 8 hrs sleep a night.
What about the rest of yea.

Re: How many hours sleep do you get.

Post by 765489 »

4 to 5 hours usually per night.. I find it very hard to sleep for long periods of time.. even at weekends I wake up early and just get up as I'll just be lying there. I do try and take a nap during the day after I finish work for about 45 minutes. Stick on Lyric FM and doze off.

Only time I really sleep is when I'm away on holidays...
notfromhere
Verified Username

Post by notfromhere »

Fair play to you. I could not manage on 4or 5 hours i can get very grumpy ha.Maybe its because am sober i enjoy sleep a lot more.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Not enough... seeing as I'm still up at 1.20 am reading Gubu threads!!!!!
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

I usually like to get at least 10 hours.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

4 or 5 hours does it for me too. I was never one for a long ly in, I am just waiting to get up.
WE dont have blackout curtains and once I see light in the room, I have to get up.
Maybe if we put up blackout curtains I might end up in hibernation
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Post by Hodors Appletart »

I've very bad sleep apnea, got a sleep study done in Summer 2019, and a second one later that year and I've been using a CPAP Machine since then.

absolute night and day to my sleep quality and overall quality of life.

Consultant said I had one of the worst cases he'd seen on the first study which is why I needed the second one, for him to confirm, it was just as bad.

I don't get hangovers anymore because of the thing!

I get between 6.5-8hrs every night (unless I'm up late)
Hold The Door
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:22 am I've very bad sleep apnea, got a sleep study done in Summer 2019, and a second one later that year and I've been using a CPAP Machine since then.
What made you consider a sleep study? I get 8 hours most nights but don't feel that refreshed afterwards. I'm glad things got better for you.
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Post by Hodors Appletart »

I've always snored, but my wife's mam died, and after that my wife said the sound was increasingly sounding like her mother's death rattle.

My night time oxygen levels were borderline killing me slowly (with his song)

I was also "sleeping" for what I assumed for hours every night, but the body reacts to a lack of oxygen by jolting itself awake to take a deep breath, and you don't even know, so as well as the nightly oxygen deprivation, I wasn't getting nearly enough REM either.

I can notice changes in my energy levels, I'm losing weight because of that, my mood is drastically different and I can drink like a 21yo and not get hangovers :D
Hold The Door
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:05 am the body reacts to a lack of oxygen by jolting itself awake to take a deep breath, and you don't even know,
This used to happen to me years ago. I assumed I was holding me breath during a bad dream...
I can drink like a 21yo and not get hangovers :D
The drink never suited me. I'm getting suspicious now!
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I get weeks where I only manage 6 hours and I feel like I am poisoned on that amount of sleep. I love 9 hours sleep. Feel fair on 8. Anything less is sub optimal for me. I am finding synchronising my circadian rhythm by going outside on waking and before sleep for about 10 minutes in the slanting light is helping me sleep better. Magnesium helps when I remember to take it. I have to sleep early or else I do not sleep well. Everyone has their own natural times that suit for going to sleep - like finding where is your good power-down time. If I sleep before 9, I sleep well; if I sleep after 10pm I do not get good sleep. I wake up early no matter what.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

7 - 8 hrs usually but find recently that I wake around 4am and find it so hard to get back to sleep. You know all those things that bother you slightly during daylight always seem to be magnified in the middle of the night, well that's me.... worrying about crap that might never happen. Fall back to sleep around 6am only for alarm to go at 7 😭
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:17 amIf I sleep before 9 ...
:shock:

9??? Jeeeeeez ... :lol:

I'm a go-with-the-flow sleeper, at least when circumstances permit. My circadian rhythm is permanently about 18 hours out of synch with what's considered normal for humans, so 9pm is getting-up time for me. Well, more like 4pm. If/when I'm working in the real world and have to respect typical office hours, I have to be really careful coming up to 10pm that I don't think about or do anything "interesting" - because if I flip that switch, I'll be awake all night. Even if I manage to fall asleep on/around midnight, I'm good for nothing the next day till about 11am, and would usually try to have a siesta of sorts when everyone else is having lunch.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I have started to sleep on a grounding sheet, and the sleep quality is amazing. And I go off to sleep within minutes.
Before this I never ever remembered dreams at all, I was convinced I dont dream. Now I have very lucid dreams, and remember every single detail and colour in the dream, its amazing.
quodec

Post by quodec »

kadman wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:33 pm I have started to sleep on a grounding sheet, and the sleep quality is amazing. And I go off to sleep within minutes.
Before this I never ever remembered dreams at all, I was convinced I dont dream. Now I have very lucid dreams, and remember every single detail and colour in the dream, its amazing.
Grounding sheet?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

This might explain things a bit better,

notfromhere
Verified Username

Post by notfromhere »

Had to Google that aswell. Looks like a good idea, but the thought of sleeping on top of something that's pluged in, I don't know.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

notfromhere wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:57 pm Had to Google that aswell. Looks like a good idea, but the thought of sleeping on top of something that's pluged in, I don't know.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

But you are not plugged in to any power or live. The only connection is the earth wire, which earths your body :D
notfromhere
Verified Username

Post by notfromhere »

Ahh that's what i get for not fully reading up on it.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
dawg

Post by dawg »

Not sleeping = very bad news

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/344 ... y-we-sleep

Is a good read on what can be a very complicated matter

( available in the public library system )
nimrod86
Verified Username

Post by nimrod86 »

Usually I'd get 4-5hrs of sleep most nights, occasionally 6-8hrs but that would be a rare occurence.

My sleep pattern is bolloxed from working 12hr rotating day/night shifts (4 weeks days, 4 weeks nights) so I often find myself caught halfway between both when it comes to sleeping. Oddly I'm finding I get a better sleep when I'm working nights and sleeping by day. I'd be lost without my blackout curtains.
Yggr of Asgard
Verified Username

Post by Yggr of Asgard »

My first sleep is around 3-4 hours, then I do 2-3 hours of whatever comes to mind (sometimes work, sometimes music, sometimes a walk) and then I go for my second sleep another 4 hours or so, depending on what my calendar demands.

Usually, I get a good 6-7 hours of quality sleep (as per my sleep tracker).
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I typically get about 6 hours or so. However, there are some weekends where I'll get up on a Saturday morning and go to bed Sunday night (staying awake all Saturday night). Don't ask why, I have some strange hobbies
SeanCena

Post by SeanCena »

6 or so, and then a big refill of the reservoir Friday night sat morning with a 11 hr job.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

kadman wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:33 pm I have started to sleep on a grounding sheet, and the sleep quality is amazing. And I go off to sleep within minutes.
I knew this was mentioned somewhere in the past. I got a grounding sheet a good while ago and didn't notice much difference and quickly fell out of the habit of using it. Then a month or so again my very dear friend was saying how much she was suffering sleep-wise because of having to move from the wilds to a large (US) city due to unfortunate happenings in her partner's life. She was hardly sleeping at all, and all the electrical buzz of everything had her on edge. Among other things I suggested a grounding sheet and lo and behold she had incredible results. So I took out my grounding sheet again as I have had months of crap sleep - thanks menopause!! It has been astonishing the difference it has made. I am waking maybe once a night at most after I had been waking up to ten times a night. I'm getting big chunks of unbroken sleep and waking up feeling super. No harm in trying it if you are having sleep problems.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...