Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The Decline of the Print Media

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.
Mirabeau

Re: The Decline of the Print Media

Post by Mirabeau »

Thanks Del.Monte and gugleguy.

Post by 95438756 »

The other thing that bugs me is that the print media covers a LOT of Celebrities lifestyles e.g. Garth Brooks in the main supplements and Sports in tomish sports supplements.
Also there are now devices like the Irish Independent online store. The goods on sale in this store can be found cheaper elsewhere without too much difficulty.

EDIT: Just to say THANKS Guborner, for upgrading my thread from the Ashtray populated Coffee Table of the Smoking Room to Any Other BUsiness :D
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Ya I used to buy newspapers but haven't bought one in years.

I had a subscription to the Irish Times but that lapsed earlier this year and I didn't renew. To me, it looked like it was more and more opinion pieces rather than news. I did find that their news articles were fair and just the facts rather than taking a position. The Examine is fair enough I find, but light on substances. The Indo I think has the most news but has a bias. I may get another subscription but haven't decided which as I realise their content can't be free.

For the Sunday papers, they are just full of fluff and to me are worthless. I've no interest in "celebrity news", sports or looking at people's houses so that cuts out 90% of their content.

Post by 95438756 »

I now personally associate the Print Media as a major vehicle to publish sheer Palava. My sample case here is the article in the Business Section of Friday's Irish Times, "Lessons from Texas Gridiron for Irish Business Leaders" Reading through this article, I gleaned no morsels of wisdom from the text.
A few cool sounding lines like "Farsow has, in typical American Fashion reinvented himself as a lecturer of sorts on fraud and 'business in the grey area'",
"Part boot camp, part networking opportunity and all action, this year's iteration of the retreat is the first to take place outside Ireland since the onset of the pandemic".

Cool story bro.

Post by 95438756 »

If you haven't caught the radio advert The Sindo is all LUVVIED UP with MLMD this weekend.
"Don't miss your copy", (well, won't be difficult being available on half the racks probably on the same news stand!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Surprisingly, I'll pass on that, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes.
'no more blah blah blah'