Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Charity - what organisation is genuine?

All threads that don't fit into the existing categories. We will distribute them into dedicated forums as threads are posted.
CuisleBeat

Charity - what organisation is genuine?

Post by CuisleBeat »

I've become very leery of charities lately but I do want to help and pay it forward, either in this country or abroad. For many years now we've donated by DD to Sightsavers and we used to also have one for VdeP. Unfortunately, while local volunteers appear to be genuinely helpful, I know too many 'users' who take the p*ss and I've been turned off donating to them as a result.
Any recommendations for genuine organisations that don't pay exorbitant amounts to CEOs and who really do help the less fortunate, as opposed to their own interests first and their clients a poor second (or worse). Anyone know anything about one called Mary's Meals? They say they look after/feed schoolchildren regardless of religion, but do they?
Maybe I'm just too cynical!
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” Anne Lamott
Osciiboscii

Re: Charity - what organisation is genuine?

Post by Osciiboscii »

I support just 2, the RNLI and the local hospice. Like you, I'm all too aware of leeching "users". The soup kitchen is another example, just cos it's free every Tom, Dick & Harry queue up.
Clurickeen

Post by Clurickeen »

Have donated to concern for years through monthly direct debit. Seems to be legit organisation but then we used to also support Bothar and look at the story that came out recently about that charity.
I agree with you 100% regarding VdeP.

Post by 765489 »

RNLI I'd contribute to. Also Multiple Sclerosis Ireland, as my mother had MS. That's it really.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

RNLI and RBL are my two but I donate quite a lot of items to various charity shops every year. I sometimes wonder about this though as in many cases these shops are doing no more than paying a landlord rent as opposed to making much for their charities - I could cut out the middle man and give the landlord a cheque.
'no more blah blah blah'
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:00 pm - I could cut out the middle man and give the landlord a cheque.
Lol, I know that feeling alright :D
“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” Anne Lamott
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

I put clothes and stuff into the hospice clothes bins near bottle banks. If it's full I'll bring them away again rather than use VdP bin.
CuisleBeat

Post by CuisleBeat »

Clurickeen wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:53 pm Have donated to concern for years through monthly direct debit. Seems to be legit organisation but then we used to also support Bothar and look at the story that came out recently about that charity.
I agree with you 100% regarding VdeP.
Yes, we used to give regularly to Concern and 'bought' the Bothar goats too.
Unfortunately (IMO) we seem to have far too many charities, all with overheads and staff etc eating up and duplicating resources. So much waste ...
A good few years ago, I was contracted by a funding/training/educating organisation for the oversight of small community charities and consequent grant aid applications. The things I saw and some of the people and practices therein were hair-raising really :cry:
Jimmy Bottlehead
Verified Username

Post by Jimmy Bottlehead »

I've worked for two charities and its put me off ever giving to charity again.
JayRoc
Verified Username

Post by JayRoc »

I've done a good bit of volunteering and fundraising for Irish Guide Dogs For The Blind over the years (probably raised 30 grand plus for them) and would be happy to do so in the future. Been to their HQ a number of times and met the staff etc. Great cause and as far as I can see, well run.
dawg

Post by dawg »

All-ireland-scholarship-scheme ( https://www.gov.ie/en/service/third-lev ... hip-scheme )

This is something that I knew nothing of until the daughter of a friend was awarded one some years back.

Its obviously not a 'charity' in the style discussed so far

Nevertheless its an interesting idea that the funds are from a private source and the awarding is done by a Gov Dept. ( Depts I guess as its all Ireland ) .

In what other areas might this work ?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Mountain wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:22 pmI'd also donate to international organisations, some British charities, I just think they must have better governance and not as much a culture of big salaries, bigger expenses etc.
You might be surprised ...
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

The mountain rescue teams.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Jimmy Bottlehead wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:53 pm I've worked for two charities and its put me off ever giving to charity again.
Same here, I ended up being a skilled tradesman for the managers, all 10 of them. To be shared out amongst "their" chosen jobs.
I was told to refuse to load in turf for an 80 year old woman, as it was not in my role description. And I was not allowed to fix a fallen gutter, because I was only insured to use a steps to change a light bulb.

I left very shortly after, but was pestered by them for months to return. Never again.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Being a coastal dweller the RNLI is one I'll always support, also the SPCA and Cancer. It's hard not to support charities with management structures as often they are the only option. I'll also give to local charities like the Men's Sheds because I have seen first hand the good they do, but I will not give a red cent to anything connected to the Church.
Osciiboscii

Post by Osciiboscii »

Yep, coastal dweller here too, hence RNLI. And personal experience with local hospice. Did a skydive a number of years back for IMNDA, again, personal experience of that.

Post by 893456 »

Only ones I donate to are Dogs Trust, Cottage Rescue and Milford Hospice. Have adopted a few dogs over the years with the rescues and cant fault them. They still send birthday cars for the dogs. Milford took amazing care of relatives and friends.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I don't donate money any more to charities due to the amount of waste in charities. I donate my time instead. The last time I did this was a few years ago when I volunteered in Africa. Yes I paid my own way over......
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

Medecin sans frontier and Blood Bike East.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

I spoke to a chugger once on the street many years ago who told me she got 65c from every €1 card she sold and her boss got 20c. I don't know if her boss had a boss.

One of the guys from Concern was on the radio soon after being quizzed about the aggression of some of the chuggers on the street and said that while he could only apologies for their behaviour, it was a very effective means of fundraising for them.

The wife donates to a couple of causes. RNLI is one, I'm not sure who else. I don't routinely give to charity but I do do some volunteer work.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Scotty wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:34 pm I spoke to a chugger once on the street many years ago who told me she got 65c from every €1 card she sold and her boss got 20c. I don't know if her boss had a boss.

One of the guys from Concern was on the radio soon after being quizzed about the aggression of some of the chuggers on the street and said that while he could only apologies for their behaviour, it was a very effective means of fundraising for them.

The wife donates to a couple of causes. RNLI is one, I'm not sure who else. I don't routinely give to charity but I do do some volunteer work.
I refuse to donate to any charity that employs chuggers. Not a fan of their bullying and harassing tactics. I am surprised nobody has been brought to court for assaulting one of them. Then you have chuggers that call to your door in the evenings. Just as bad.

Passive collecting is so much better. Just have a stand outside a supermarket and people will donate if they can. No need to intimidate people into contributing.
Comhrá
Verified Username

Post by Comhrá »

I have monthly DDs for Limk Animal Welfare and St VdP. I like to think St Vincent De Paul spend less on overheads than the big charities like Concern and others. I hope I 'm correct in this assumption.