Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

So Novak gets a medical exemption to play in Oz

All sports threads. We will distribute the threads into dedicated forums eg Soccer | Rugby | GAA etc as threads are posted.
Hairy-Joe

Re: So Novak gets a medical exemption to play in Oz

Post by Hairy-Joe »

A stopped clock is right twice a day.....
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Djokovic just lost his appeal.

My opinion remains that in hindsight from a future time Djokovic's errors will pale in any properly moral comparison to Australia's hysterical and authoritarian regime.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

You are on the side that supports authoritarian bio fascist regimes. That's okay. It is your choice. I support your freedom of choice.

🙂
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

isha wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:24 am You are on the side that supports authoritarian bio fascist regimes. That's okay. It is your choice. I support your freedom of choice.

🙂
Whatever about Mountain, you may have noticed that I am not enthusiastic about authoritarian bio fascist regimes, and whilst I think nobody comes off well in this sorry saga, Djokovic comes off worst and he deserves to be booted out.

When I first heard that he would not be coerced into getting a vaccine just to play in Oz, my reaction was good for him standing up for his principles. Sure people like me can soapbox about my bodily integrity and principles etc but in reality apart from not being able to go to the pub the impact on my daily life is minimal, whereas Djokovic looked like he was prepared to potentially lose the chance of becoming the greatest tennis player in history to stand up for what he believed in. Respect!

However as it turned out, nothing could be further from the truth, he was trying to have his cake and eat it!

Whatever way you look at it he acted as if the rules that apply to everybody else should not apply to him.

Definitely some muddy waters as to exactly what happened, but either he did contract Covid and wilfully ignored rules re self isolation and knowingly exposed others to the virus or he did not have Covid and used his status and connections in Serbia to obtain a cert saying he did. Either way he had this coming.

In asking others to accept why people like you and I, (and Djokovic), don't wish to be coerced/shamed/mandated into taking the vaccine I do think we need to accept that many of those others, (hysterically I would agree), feel safer/happier/vindicated with a certain level of increased restrictions for us. Pat Kenny is a good example.

Whilst that may be infuriating, because there is no evidence these restrictions work, I do think they will pass in time, and the only thing we can do is wait for that futility to become clear.

However the surest route to an Austria style situation is if unvaccinated people start saying I am not going to take the vaccine nor am I going to accept the consequences of not taking the vaccine. Or to put it another way people must respect what I think but I'm not going to respect what anybody else thinks.

That is exactly what Djokovic did, and whilst hindsight might prove that the Australian rules were far too strict, I don't think it will exonerate Djokovic's behaviour which turned out to be more about his sense of self entitlement than his personal views on vaccines.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Maybe Novak et al will learn that actions have consequences......

Every action has consequences and just because you don't agree with the consequences you can't run off to try to get them changed. I couldn't get into several Africa or South East Asia countries without presenting vaccination against several tropical diseases. Why is this different?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I accept many of your very fair points Schmittel. In another time I would not even give this matter a second thought, knowing Djokovics millions, ego and athletic prowess will comfort him well enough in any troubles. There are plenty others more deserving of attention. To be honest I am stubbornly supporting him on here, even exaggeratedly supporting him in the face of ridicule, while being simultaneously aware that he has likely misbehaved. Because the one point I disagree with you on from the above is that I or anyone else should NOT be compelled to accept unjust authoritarian consequences for not taking the vaccine. And he offers a public case in point aptly demonstrating the present irrational bio fascism.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

isha wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:10 am I accept many of your very fair points Schmittel. In another time I would not even give this matter a second thought, knowing Djokovics millions, ego and athletic prowess will comfort him well enough in any troubles. There are plenty others more deserving of attention. To be honest I am stubbornly supporting him on here, even exaggeratedly supporting him in the face of ridicule, while being simultaneously aware that he has likely misbehaved. Because the one point I disagree with you on from the above is that I or anyone else should NOT be compelled to accept unjust authoritarian consequences for not taking the vaccine. And he offers a public case in point aptly demonstrating the present irrational bio fascism.
Totally agree that whether or not he is allowed to stay and play will have no impact on public health so in that sense it is completely irrational.

And I totally agree that nobody should be compelled to accept unjust authoritarian consequences, but that's my point here - refusing him permission to enter the country to play in a tennis tournament because he played fast and loose with the immigration rules is not authoritarian!

What I mean is I am prepared to accept, albeit reluctantly, the unjust petty consequences precisely because I believe refusal to do so will lead to unjust authoritarian consequences.

Post by 765489 »

Mountain wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:11 am Agree.

The problem for him now is that, with what they now know about his misbehaviour, authorities in other countries might take a similar stance.

It's an issue he may face again.
To me it's basically if someone is entering another country, you have to repect the laws of that country. He choose the wrong country to mess with.

Post by 490808 »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:15 am To me it's basically if someone is entering another country, you have to repect the laws of that country. He choose the wrong country to mess with.
On the other hand any country having an international competition should make allowances for people coming in from outside the country maybe the governing body for tennis should remove its international status then Australia can get on and have their own private little game of tennis without all the international publicity and money.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

The Continental Op wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:35 am On the other hand any country having an international competition should make allowances for people coming in from outside the country maybe the governing body for tennis should remove its international status then Australia can get on and have their own private little game of tennis without all the international publicity and money.
Can you imagine saying to China and others "give me permission to ignore your immigration laws as I don't agree with them". The Chinese and others wouldn't care who you are.

Their country, their laws. There's plenty of countries that have laws that I don't agree with. That doesn't give me permission to enter, ignore the laws and expect to get away with it.

The galling thing here is that he basically generated a smokescreen to hide the truth and give a two fingers to the country and their ethos.

Post by 490808 »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:46 am Can you imagine saying to China and others "give me permission to ignore your immigration laws as I don't agree with them". The Chinese and others wouldn't care who you are.

Their country, their laws. There's plenty of countries that have laws that I don't agree with. That doesn't give me permission to enter, ignore the laws and expect to get away with it.

The galling thing here is that he basically generated a smokescreen to hide the truth and give a two fingers to the country and their ethos.
I'm quite sure China are at this moment bending over backwards to get the winter Olympics going. While they may not careless about the rights of their own people they will do whatever is expedient to get good world publicity for something like the winter Olympics.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

If anybody deserves sympathy it is not Djokovic but Renata Voracova, who has suddenly been deported, albeit with a lot less headlines.
Voracova had initially been allowed to enter Australia on a medical exemption granted after she had an adverse reaction to a Covid infection and even played in a tournament in Melbourne.

However, in the fallout from the cancellation of Novak Djokovic’s visa on the basis of a similar exemption, Voracova was ordered to leave the country and was deported on Saturday.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... lia-tennis

Post by 490808 »

My guess is this will please a few of you, tbh I'm not bothered either way. I certainly wasn't going to be watching any tennis.

Novak Djokovic lands in Serbia after deportation from Australia
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Emma Raducanu beaten by world number 98, I think less of the gala dinners and the celebrity Circuit.
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

What has that to do with Novax, which is what this thread is about
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Mountain wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:36 pm Both overseas players and unvaccinated players will be out hitting tennis balls in Australia this week.

There was no exemption for players who break the law, lie, travel through jurisdictions knowing they had Covid, exposing others to it, not even bothering to wear a mask. I guess they can't make allowances for everyone.
Can you keep hold of this and post before the next tournament up ? It needs to be the default. Kudos, Mountain.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Samson

Post by Samson »

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Doesn’t this forum have a rule about posting absolute made up antivax horseshite???
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Samson wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:58 pm Nothing to see , move along.
https://gab.com/FRANKQUOTES/posts/107633571360891413
I couldn't have said it better myself!

That video is two years old. She was suffering the ill effects of inhaling smoky air from the nearby bushfires.
Samson

Post by Samson »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:09 pm Doesn’t this forum have a rule about posting absolute made up antivax horseshite???
Are you ok hun?
This site is not a echo chamber like boards where only approved thought is allowed, we can have diverse opinions here, imagine that , you took the steps to break free of the boards hive kind by coming here but are reverting to type, crying out for mods to censor, relax and open your mind to other possibilities.
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Samson wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:56 am This site is not a echo chamber like boards where only approved thought is allowed, we can have diverse opinions here, imagine that
What, so you can post any old nonsense like you've done above? The site won't last long if that's the case.
Samson

Post by Samson »

Mountain wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:28 am :lol:

The anti vaxxers should put their heads together and see can they put forward one coherent leader or figurehead, someone with real qualifications, who doesn't lie, doesn't break the law, doesn't deliberately mislead, doesn't jump on every hysterical conspiracy theory nonsense. When the activists here are Gemma O'Doherty types, the poster boy is Novak Djokovic, and the footsoldiers are the thousands who swallow nonsense that they don't really understand and regurgitate it out (some more eloquently than others, granted) across social media, it's just a bad campaign all round.
Unravelling in real time, you know deep down you made a mistake.
You will need some of these in the days to come
Calahonda52
Verified Username

Post by Calahonda52 »

Samson wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:56 am Are you ok hun?
This site is not a echo chamber like boards where only approved thought is allowed, we can have diverse opinions here, imagine that , you took the steps to break free of the boards hive kind by coming here but are reverting to type, crying out for mods to censor, relax and open your mind to other possibilities.
HOW CAN I GET A MOD TO relax and open MY mind to other possibilities?
Will I need some sort of lube?
/
Eats, Shoots and Leaves
or
Eats Shoots and Leaves
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Wimbledon club has announced no vaccinations are required for the competition, so the world no 1 player Novak Djokovic can compete. Delighted for him, and glad that sense begins to return.

Daniil Medvedev, no 2 in the world, in spite of calling for peace, is banned along with all Russian players. I think this is very unfair.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

isha wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:24 pm Wimbledon club has announced no vaccinations are required for the competition, so the world no 1 player Novak Djokovic can compete. Delighted for him, and glad that sense begins to return.

Daniil Medvedev, no 2 in the world, in spite of calling for peace, is banned along with all Russian players. I think this is very unfair.
Great to see the unvaccinated are disproportionately represented in this years Wimbledon champions. Oh, and Russians too.