Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

England vs New Zealand - cricket

All sports threads. We will distribute the threads into dedicated forums eg Soccer | Rugby | GAA etc as threads are posted.
schmittel
Verified Username

England vs New Zealand - cricket

Post by schmittel »

Any cricket fans on gubu? Massively enjoying the England v New Zealand series.

This is fascinating given that England''s approach looks to be no interest in drawing the game, and will try and chase down whatever target they are set.

Really hoping current NZ batters at the crease - in form Mitchell and Blundell - can put together another big partnership, bat all day, set England 400+ and then watch England go for it tomorrow.

None of the above will make any sense to non cricket fans, but for those on the fence, if you've ever thought Test cricket is slow, this match might be a good opportunity to take another look at it!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: England vs New Zealand - cricket

Post by Del.Monte »

Used to love Test cricket back in the early 1980's - even used to get up early to listen to coverage from overseas on BBC Radio 3. I gradually lost interest when a lot of the greats (Ian Botham, Bob Willis, Allan Border, Denis Lillee etc.) retired and then life intervened. Haven't played since I was twenty or so, and I don't think the call from England is coming any time soon - I did hold myself in reserve! :mrgreen:

Test match cricket is where it's at, 'One Day' is so-so, and as for the travesty that is T20................aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
'no more blah blah blah'
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:23 am Used to love Test cricket back in the early 1980's - even used to get up early to listen to coverage from overseas on BBC Radio 3. I gradually lost interest when a lot of the greats (Ian Botham, Bob Willis, Allan Border, Denis Lillee etc.) retired and then life intervened. Haven't played since I was twenty or so, and I don't think the call from England is coming any time soon - I did hold myself in reserve! :mrgreen:

Test match cricket is where it's at, 'One Day' is so-so, and as for the travesty that is T20................aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
If you think One-Day is so and T20 is a travesty, maybe steer clear of this Test vs NZ! Jonny Bairstow scored 162 off 158 balls. Stokes, England captain, came in at something like 20/4 and was out 13 balls later with a score of 18 with 2 fours and 1 six!

Not a match for the traditionalists!
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

I think test cricket has its place but I do like the One day and T20. Cricket needs to attract a wider audience if it is to survive and some of the five day bores I've witnessed, with Boycott and Cowdrey over the years are not going to do that.
I like that the batsmen, even those considered weak with the bat, go for it with every bowler and don't play defensively until a perceived, easier option comes along. I like the way the fast bowlers are becoming faster and more accurate, that some spinners could spin a snooker ball on any surface, and that the fields are aggressive. Unfortunately, if they are also playing for the National team in five day tests, their scope to play like this is limited.
The Indian, Sri Lankan, New Zealand and South African test teams, all seem to have a more positive outlook. I've heard Cricket described as "Chess on the playing field", a very apt description IMO and it's true that you need to have a strategy for defence but ultimately, it's the player with the best strategy for attack who'll come out on top.
Cricket has come a long way since the days of "tiffin" and the pissed senior Army officers shouting "Bully" and "Sound Man" and the like. If it keeps evolving they might be able to sell it to the Yanks, after all, Baseball is an infinitely more boring and less skilful game than cricket.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Isn't baseball just rounders but with body armour and pom pom girls?

If they reduce the number of overs much more they might as well just cut out the cricket altogether, toss a coin to decide who wins, and adjourn to the pavilion for refreshments. All this because we have bred a generation that have the concentration of a fly. :roll:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Glad to see that I'm not the only one that thinks T20 is rubbish and not even Cricket at all: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/t20 ... /cj33v6ucg
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Can’t find a place to post so - I’m sad Stokesy has quit ODI cricket :(
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane