Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Girls in Green - Own Goal?

All sports threads. We will distribute the threads into dedicated forums eg Soccer | Rugby | GAA etc as threads are posted.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Girls in Green - Own Goal?

Post by Del.Monte »

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. :roll:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -ira-song/
'no more blah blah blah'

Re: Girls in Green - Own Goal?

Post by 95438756 »

And a lot of deflection contained in the response from the sports from the agent on Radio 1 this lunchtime, when questioned on this by Lunchtime.
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

There is no difference between what they did and wearing a poppy
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Political correctness gone mad....done in privacy of a dressing room with no inclination for it to insult anyone

Whomever broadcast it,is deserving of critism,but not for the song choice
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

See this condescending prick

Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

I don't like the song nor the IRA.
However those women should sing what they like without apologizing to whomever is offended this week.
" I have spoken with players this morning and we are sorry collectively for any hurt caused, there can be no excuse for that."
How about the hurt that caused the IRA to come existance in the first place?

More people need to be told to get f'd.
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Well, I don't like soccer, don't like the Wolfe Tones and didn't watch the game but still think it was a crass act to sing the song. One can only think that they took their lead from these scumbags: https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-n ... s-24974762 I'll put it down to the youth of the team as they wouldn't have been born when the 'RA' tried to bring down this State as well as that north of the border.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

We should not let our troublesome history get whitewashed for fear it may offend someone!

Songs like these are obviously being sung by youths at gatherings and parties, just like they were 20, 50 and 100 years ago!
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

I LOLd

Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Political correct brigade strike again,shades of when they wanted Limerick hurlers cancelled and to apologize for singing the sean-south song

Jesus,no craic/free speech/singing rebel songs allowed anymore....sad out,that some folks in media seemingly still pine for section 31 after all these years,and wish to whitewash our history for pre approved political correct position
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Congratulations to the ladies football team. Great sporting history. Brilliant.

I imagine what happened here was getting caught up in an innocent wave of exuberance after their victory. I would have just thought yiz fecken eegits and no more.

The lesson is that in the era of omnipresent mobile phone cameras don't sing stupid songs. The RA were not romantic, they were an organisation which caused huge suffering on this island and elsewhere. Think up new rousing chants and songs for when the mood possesses ye.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Personally I think they were stupid for both singing it and letting it be recorded. That song and what it's glorifying is still very raw for a lot of people.

I think that song is disgusting for what it's glorifying. The problem is that there's a lot of young people who didn't live through the troubles, seeing violence and killing on an almost weekly basis and they don't see or understand the hurt it causes
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:58 pm Personally I think they were stupid for both singing it and letting it be recorded. That song and what it's glorifying is still very raw for a lot of people.

I think that song is disgusting for what it's glorifying. The problem is that there's a lot of young people who didn't live through the troubles, seeing violence and killing on an almost weekly basis and they don't see or understand the hurt it causes
Our national anthem is similar, a war song proclaiming the IRA, should we stop singing that too?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Hugh_Bigazz wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:02 pm Our national anthem is similar, a war song proclaiming the IRA, should we stop singing that too?
Not the same IRA in most people's eyes and it was a long time ago.
'no more blah blah blah'
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:04 pm Not the same IRA in most people's eyes and it was a long time ago.
Is it not just a type of national self delusion hyprocrisy,to say violence then was ok,but wasn't then based arbitrary upon an undefined date??

The start of troubles is closer to WOI,than it is,to today......surely for intellectual honesty,the qs now should lie,which IRA was this song referencing??

None of which suggests any of them women actually support either IRA,and were simply singing a song,the media/political class are playing a dangerous game for emselves,by drawing redlines around this subject
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:04 pm Not the same IRA in most people's eyes and it was a long time ago.
Ah yes, the good IRA and the bad IRA
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

My granny used to sing Come out ye Black and Tans as one of her party pieces, she and all the family were staunch Republicans. I found it embarrassing from the age of my reason, not because I didn't think she was entitled to her anger - she was, she saw bad things happen - but as an idealistic youth I thought it just prolonged bad feeling and the likelihood of more deaths. And in ways it did. The situation in the North went on for years more and was fed by jingoism and sectarian hatred.
But I honestly think this was probably just a wave of exuberance in the dressing room. If I was in a place people started that chant I wouldn't join in because I would be embarrassed for them. But I would not think they were bad people, either. Just a bit silly. Singing about Michaela McAreavy, for example, was way, way worse as it had malice in it. Intention is an important element to consider in any happening.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Hugh_Bigazz wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:22 pm See this condescending prick

Johnny Englander lecturing the Irish on our history. The breathtaking audacity of him to demand an apology. Perhaps he should acquaint himself with their chequered past, starting with the colonial occupation of Ireland over several centuries. The fact she entertained such a smarmy ignoramus speaks volumes about her class.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Most of these girls probably weren't born before the Good Friday agreement and so haven't experienced first hand what went on in our country. Those of us who lived through the troubles from start to finish, have little time for the "RA" and what they stood for. I don't remember them as a patriotic army fighting for our freedom, I remember them as a bunch of thugs, murderers, bank robbers, kidnappers, torturers, arsonists etc etc, who took up arms against our country, murdered our soldiers and Gardaí, blew up our trains, disrupted our jobs, prevented investment in our economy. They were allied to what is our enemy, both then and now.
Once again, Ireland is selective about the history it teaches to our young people and the "heroes" it reveres. and the people who talk about being PC, really want to get a grip on reality, these were not philosophies, these were real events and the whataboutery about the poppy is another effort to disguise what went on. I don't wear a poppy, it has little relevance in my life but personally I don't see any parallel between what happened in 1914-1918 and what went on here and in NI for 30 years.
Remembering who you are is fine, remembering your troubled history is fine, but don't confuse this with lionising the thugs who were a blight on that history for too long

Post by 678904673 »

Was it stupid. Yes. Even more so in this social media age where you just can't get away with this stuff anymore.
I imagine no player on the team has any recollection of the Troubles, so I suspect the song was sung in a moment of euphoria. And no malic was intended.
Personally I don't think it's anything to get bent out of shape about.
However if it had been the men's team I think the reaction would have been very different
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

The most shameful performance was Rte Sport leading the line with their shaming of these poor women

marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Happy Days wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:52 pm Was it stupid. Yes. Even more so in this social media age where you just can't get away with this stuff anymore.
I imagine no player on the team has any recollection of the Troubles, so I suspect the song was sung in a moment of euphoria. And no malic was intended.
Personally I don't think it's anything to get bent out of shape about.
However if it had been the men's team I think the reaction would have been very different
That's what I mean about selective history. We have patriots and heroes in our history who we can truly be proud of, some of whom never picked up a weapon.
The "RA' are not fit to be mentioned in the same breath, and I think anybody who purports to represent us at anything, sport, politics, whatever, should be educated in those facts.

Post by 678904673 »

marhay70 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:36 pm That's what I mean about selective history. We have patriots and heroes in our history who we can truly be proud of, some of whom never picked up a weapon.
The "RA' are not fit to be mentioned in the same breath, and I think anybody who purports to represent us at anything, sport, politics, whatever, should be educated in those facts.
Would largely agree. A big problem is the erosion of History as a subject in school. Pupils only now get thought the basic facts on period. Context, nuisance and detail is missing.
Until that changes, nothing changes