Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Girls in Green - Own Goal?

All sports threads. We will distribute the threads into dedicated forums eg Soccer | Rugby | GAA etc as threads are posted.
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Girls in Green - Own Goal?

Post by kadman »

Perhaps England to should remember their atrocities perpetrated on many, many nations before they start dictating about youthful exuberent celebrations by our terrific athletes and sports prsonalities....Go girls.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

kadman wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:24 pm Perhaps England to should remember their atrocities perpetrated on many, many nations before they start dictating about youthful exuberent celebrations by our terrific athletes and sports prsonalities....Go girls.
It’s a culture that celebrates the conviction and murder of someone a few hundred years ago by burning yearly effigies.

kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

knownunknown wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:37 pm It’s a culture that celebrates the conviction and murder of someone a few hundred years ago by burning yearly effigies.

You dont have to even go back that far, Kenya and the massacre and torture of tens of 1000's of Mau Mau tribes peole is another horrendous episode of british colonialism, but also soon forgotten, until the recent court rulings.
Our girls should be proud and sing whatever the hell they want to.This PC shite should stop
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

@ kadman

You make some valid points but it's a selective version of World history by viewing the actions of the British in isolation - it's called history/evolution - and most of us have moved on. It's a massive subject and not for the Sports forum and I don't know if I have the energy to start or participate in a thread on it.
'no more blah blah blah'
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

It's a bit of a storm in a teacup really. We need to take a serious look at this woke snowflakery that demands public apologies and humiliation for the most minor of infractions. British folks need to realise that an Irish person singing 'Up the Ra' is almost always comedic and non-malicious. It's a privilege we've earned after 800 years of colonial rule!

I've sung it myself, I've joked about it for years, I've shared the craic with friends, team mates etc and none of it has ever led to any activity that would remotely be anti-british 😅
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

I'm amazed womens football is getting this much attention.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Well, it is a well known 'fact' that soccer is a big girl's game anyway so why not?
'no more blah blah blah'
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:23 am I'm amazed womens football is getting this much attention.
It'll be a while before the fellas get to a tournament!