Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The Autumn Nations Rugby Series

All sports threads. We will distribute the threads into dedicated forums eg Soccer | Rugby | GAA etc as threads are posted.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

The Autumn Nations Rugby Series

Post by Del.Monte »

https://autumnnationsseries.com/

Now, having given out about too much sport on the news, anyone apart from me going to be glued to this? :mrgreen:

I'm very excited as I believe rugby (union) is life and especially love the Autumn Internationals, and while I'm concerned that Ireland get through their various games with as few injuries as possible, it is my beloved All Blacks that I worry most about. Their Autumn campaign got off to a very poor start when they barely scraped past Japan 31 - 38 last Saturday. Admittedly they were without the three Barrett brothers who were at their granny's funeral, but Japan are a side that NZ routinely thrash and into the bargain key lineout man Brodie Retallick got red-carded and will miss the next three games. :cry:

Fab game though it has to be said!

Tomorrow Ireland A take on a strong All Black A side at the RDS. Ireland are captained by the up and coming Munster No.9. Craig Casey - expect a great game! The outcome doesn't matter to me although it would be nice to see an Irish win but as for the All Blacks main games against Wales, Scotland and England - nothing less than a clean sweep will keep me happy.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: The Autumn Nations Rugby Series

Post by Del.Monte »

I'm not alone in my concern for New Zealand rugby which has been going rapidly downhill for some years and here's one of a series of online pieces by a Kiwi pundit: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/i-cant-b ... s-come-to/
You could substitute the name Munster wherever he mentions the All Blacks - is it any wonder that I'm depressed.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

This may be a bit controversial, but if I'm being honest, I prefer Rugby League.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Happy Days wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:11 am This may be a bit controversial, but if I'm being honest, I prefer Rugby League.
Barbarian!!!
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:14 pm I'm not alone in my concern for New Zealand rugby which has been going rapidly downhill for some years and here's one of a series of online pieces by a Kiwi pundit: https://www.rugbypass.com/news/i-cant-b ... s-come-to/
You could substitute the name Munster wherever he mentions the All Blacks - is it any wonder that I'm depressed.
To be fair Del, going down from a high pinnacle. I would argue that other national teams, Ireland in particular, have adopted the All Black model and worked on perfecting it for themselves. So, not a case of New Zealand going down but the others coming up. I've always admired the fact that a nation, similar in population to our own, were at the top of a world sport for so long. and I think the commentator here is being a bit unfair to the All Blacks. They may have lost the series to Ireland in the summer, but Ireland played out of their skins, the All Blacks didn't just lie down. I think this is just a reluctance on the part of the commentator to accept that other teams have now attained, and maintained, All Black standard.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

It all began on that day of infamy at Soldier Field, Chicago, on the 5th November 2016 when Ireland beat an All Blacks team being touted by many as possibly the best ever team to come out of New Zealand. It has been downhill ever since with several false new dawns but now with Joe Schmidt (mastermind of Ireland's Chicago victory) on the All Black's backroom team and likely to replace Foster as head coach.....the future beckons.
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

But Schmidt wasn't the coach for the winning series in New Zealand, it was Farrell, a, perish the thought, former Rugby League player.
Countries have their dominant periords, I think, in all sports. Anybody who played and followed Rugby in the 1960s and 70s, would have laughed in your face if you told them Wales would be so poor in the 2000s. Argentina, were makeweights in the 80s, and who ever dreamt of a Japanese Rugby team, but you certainly wouldn't dismiss them now. The Wallabies are on the way back, the Springboks have arrived after a barren period and countries like Italy, Croatia, Romania and the USA will improve as they get to play in the big competitions.
Coaching methods and facilities are so much better now, stadia are more attractive to spend an afternoon and the residency rules mean players, maybe not considered quite up to standard, in their home country, can live and play in another country and pass on their knowledge to the up and coming. All good really
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

I think it will be France that I will be most interested in.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

RDS tonight: Ireland A vs All Blacks A (19 - 47) Full Time. Ireland completely outclassed and I hope the All Blacks team to meet Wales tomorrow were watching and know what they have to live up to.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

What I'm afraid of is that Ireland peeked too soon and normal world cup performance will resume. I can see another quarter final exit.....
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:06 am What I'm afraid of is that Ireland peeked too soon and normal world cup performance will resume. I can see another quarter final exit.....
It is a worry. Ireland excelled themselves in New Zealand, especially after losing the first test, I think it will all depend on the groups and the seedings.
Still, Ireland have strength in depth now which will hopefully see them through the early rounds, I reckon they can win it with a bit of luck and avoiding injuries.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

marhay70 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:01 am It is a worry. Ireland excelled themselves in New Zealand, especially after losing the first test, I think it will all depend on the groups and the seedings.
Still, Ireland have strength in depth now which will hopefully see them through the early rounds, I reckon they can win it with a bit of luck and avoiding injuries.
I posted this in the wrong forum, so it probably doesn't make sense. Please ignore.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Three epic games today kicking off with the All Blacks back to their best and mauling poor Wales (23-53). Eight All Black tries stunned the Welsh supporters into silence by the end. Next up Ireland beat World Champions, South Africa, in a nail biting and brutal encounter (19-16). Last of three great games - France v Australia and another nail-biter with the unpredictable French leaving it to dying moments to snatch victory (30-29). A great day's rugby and I doubled my investment with Paddy Power. Every dog has its day. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:06 am What I'm afraid of is that Ireland peeked too soon and normal world cup performance will resume. I can see another quarter final exit.....
I think I may need some humble pie......

Post by 678904673 »

Hugely enjoyable game. That first half was so physical I felt sore watching it.
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

The South Africans were very quick to the gainline but Ireland still got the passes away for the most part. Impressive stuff.
We need another scrumhalf though. Murray is out of place in this set up.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

England v Argentina (29-30) and the boring style of brutish rugby played by England comes back to haunt them. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

And I'm out for the day - Ireland v Fiji at 1pm! :mrgreen:

England v Japan at 3.15pm

Wales v Argentina at 5.30pm

France v South Africa at 8.00pm

AMAZON PRIME comes into its own!
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:44 pm And I'm out for the day - Ireland v Fiji at 1pm! :mrgreen:

England v Japan at 3.15pm

Wales v Argentina at 5.30pm

France v South Africa at 8.00pm

AMAZON PRIME comes into its own!
Fair play for watching them all. I'll watch Ireland and the South Africa v France game. The rest I can safely leave
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

I didn't watch much due the F1.
France are building nicely and are on a similar track as Ireland.
Next Six Nations is going to be very interesting.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Yesterday, good but not great. Ireland v Fiji and England v Japan were too one sided to be exciting. France v SA and Italy v Australia were another matter altogether. Australian Rugby Union continues to be a horror show.

Today it's the turn of the Disloyal Rabble v the 'mighty' All Blacks - I don't care how one sided this is as long as the All Blacks win. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

A lack lustre performance by the All Blacks nearly let Scotland get their first ever victory over over the southern hemisphere giants but it was not to be. The All Blacks will have to up their game considerably when they meet England next weekend. 14-Nil up after twelve minutes and yet the final score was only 23-31.
Form Is Temporary, Class Is Permanent. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Oh joy! Georgia beat Wales in Cardiff 13-12. Coverage on Amazon Prime in the Welsh language which a mere 29% of their population 'claim' to be able to speak. The stupid Welsh commentators so busy showing everybody their language prowess that they continually talked over communication between the match referee and the TMO. The Welsh RFU would be better spending their time and money on teaching the rudiments of the game to their players instead of worrying about language virtue signalling and changing the name of the Welsh rugby team to Cymru. :lol:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

God went missing again today as England staged a come back against New Zealand and the score is 25-25 full time. It was 14-0 to New Zealand after 10 minutes! Still NZ are unbeaten in 7 games and are building nicely for the RWC.
'no more blah blah blah'
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

Horgan, Heaslip and Zebo are painful to listen to