Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The 2023 Rugby World Cup

All sports threads. We will distribute the threads into dedicated forums eg Soccer | Rugby | GAA etc as threads are posted.

Re: The 2023 Rugby World Cup

Post by 678904673 »

Hugely disappointing. And while I don't want to be harsh on them, I think they bottled it slightly.

Anyway that's me off the bandwagon. See you all for the six nations:)
Boardsie Exile

Post by Boardsie Exile »

There's definitely a mental block in Irish rugby when it comes to knockout games. A lot of them looked edgy with uncharacteristic errors aplenty.

I suspect we'll only break the semi-final hoodoo when we're in an underdog situation against a side nobody expects us to beat.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:22 pm Gripping game and Ireland left that behind with Jordie Barrett denying them with an amazing defensive effort. No shame in losing by a 4 point margin to the All Blacks. I already can hear the sound of band wagons clattering off into the distance.......Four years time and we'll be back. :mrgreen:
This is not a great All Blacks team and this was Ireland's best ever team, World No.1 on 17 game winning streak.

Farrell screwed up.

We were always told it was because we had lack of depth and that when we lost front line players the other guy weren't good enough as reason for losing 1/4 finals and yes it was true to a huge degree in certain WC.

But then when we do appear to have strength in depth management decide to keep a lot front line players even against shyte opposition like Romania.
You don't get SA, NZ or France doing that.
The team against Romania were:
15 Hugo Keenan, 14 Keith Earls, 13 Garry Ringrose, 12 Bundee Aki, 11 James Lowe, 10 Johnny Sexton (c), 9 Jamison Gibson-Park; 1 Andrew Porter, 2 Rob Herring, 3 Tadhg Furlong, 4 Joe McCarthy, 5 James Ryan, 6 Tadhg Beirne, 7 Peter O'Mahony, 8 Caelan Doris.
Just fooking think about that.
Earls, Herring and McCarthy were the only 2nd string and Herring was there becuase 1st choice Hooker was out.
Yeah play Sexton because he is just back, but FFS it was Romania.

Then against Tonga we had a few changes simply because guys were back from injuries.
15 Hugo Keenan, 14 Hansen, 13 Garry Ringrose, 12 Bundee Aki, 11 James Lowe, 10 Johnny Sexton (c), 9 C. Murray, 1 Andrew Porter, 2 R. Kelleher, 3 Tadhg Furlong, 4 Tadhg Beirne, 5 James Ryan, 6 Peter O'Mahony, 7 J. Van Der Flier, 8 Caelan Doris.

Not enough rotation.
We don't know how to play in tournaments.
We can't put more than a few games together so we can always do well in 6 Nations, Autumn Internationals and maybe even a tour, but that is it.

Last night a lot of guys just looked tired.

Some will say ah great we got within 4 points of All Blacks and beat the Boks so we did well.
Bullcr** we scraped past the Boks who if they had a half decent kicker would have beaten us.
We beat Romania, Tonga and an overrated Scotland.
Wippee do.
Then last night Hanson was played when he looked doubtful, Sexton was left on the pitch when he just kept laying the ball off every time.
Maybe he was left on for sentiment, but sentiment has no place in professional sport.
Just ask O'Gara.

The other thing I was just thinking for all the talk about our academies, our schools systems, Ireland's best players in this tournament were all imports.
Hell take the Kiwis out of the side and we don't look quite so great.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

jmayo wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:05 pm This is not a great All Blacks team and this was Ireland's best ever team, World No.1 on 17 game winning streak.

Farrell screwed up.

We were always told it was because we had lack of depth and that when we lost front line players the other guy weren't good enough as reason for losing 1/4 finals and yes it was true to a huge degree in certain WC.

But then when we do appear to have strength in depth management decide to keep a lot front line players even against shyte opposition like Romania.
15 Hugo Keenan, 14 Keith Earls, 13 Garry Ringrose, 12 Bundee Aki, 11 James Lowe, 10 Johnny Sexton (c), 9 Jamison Gibson-Park; 1 Andrew Porter, 2 Rob Herring, 3 Tadhg Furlong, 4 Joe McCarthy, 5 James Ryan, 6 Tadhg Beirne, 7 Peter O'Mahony, 8 Caelan Doris.
Earls, Herring and McCarthy were the only 2nd string and Herring was there becuase 1st choice Hooker was out.

Then against Tonga we had a few changes simply because guys were back from injuries.
15 Hugo Keenan, 14 Hansen, 13 Garry Ringrose, 12 Bundee Aki, 11 James Lowe, 10 Johnny Sexton (c), 9 C. Murray, 1 Andrew Porter, 2 R. Kelleher, 3 Tadhg Furlong, 4 Tadhg Beirne, 5 James Ryan, 6 Peter O'Mahony, 7 J. Van Der Flier, 8 Caelan Doris.

Not enough rotation.
We can't put more than a few games together so we can always do well in 6 Nations, Autumn Internationals and maybe even a tour, but that is it.

Some will say ah great we got within 4 points of All Blacks and beat the Boks so we did well.
Bullcr** we scraped past the Boks who if they had a half decent kicker would have beaten us.
Wippee do.
Then last night Hanson was played when he looked doubtful, Sexton was left on the pitch when he just kept laying the ball off every time.
Maybe he was left on for sentiment, but sentiment has no place in professional sport.
Just ask O'Gara.

The other thing I was just thinking for all the talk about our academies, our schools systems, Ireland's best players in this tournament were all imports.
I don’t know much about rugby but they did look tired out there and exhausted by the end of the game. Think it was about minute 60 when Sexton tried a lazy kick forward giving away easy possession.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Awful match tonight with France hardly firing a shot . SA win 29 - 28. Talisman Dupont clearly badly off form and still suffering from the after affects of his injury/assault in the Namibia game.. I hate the Boks, I hate their fans and I hate their manager....... :x :x :x
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

jmayo wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:05 pm This is not a great All Blacks team and this was Ireland's best ever team, World No.1 on 17 game winning streak.

Farrell screwed up.

Not enough rotation.

Wippee do.
Just ask O'Gara.

What would you have posted if the Irish try near the end not been held up by Jordie Barrett - in short your post does not compute. It's knockout rugby.
'no more blah blah blah'
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:59 pm Awful match tonight with France hardly firing a shot . SA win 29 - 28. Talisman Dupont clearly badly off form and still suffering from the after affects of his injury/assault in the Namibia game.. I hate the Boks, I hate their fans and I hate their manager....... :x :x :x
One of the best, most thrilling rugby matches I've ever seen, especially the first half with 6 tries, 3 each. I also wanted France to do it but after a game like that SA do deserve credit
quodec

Post by quodec »

An incredible match to watch. I doubt if Ireland could have lived with either of those teams this evening.
Boardsie Exile

Post by Boardsie Exile »

A South Africa, New Zealand final would be some game. Wouldn't absolutely count England or even Argentina out, though. Games like tonight can take a heavy toll on a side.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

A Frenchman I met a few weeks ago was convinced that it'd be a France-Ireland final. He almost had me convinced too ...
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:59 pm Awful match tonight with France hardly firing a shot . SA win 29 - 28. Talisman Dupont clearly badly off form and still suffering from the after affects of his injury/assault in the Namibia game.. I hate the Boks, I hate their fans and I hate their manager....... :x :x :x
Will ya feck off to specsavers.

The France - South Africa match was brilliant.
4 tries in 20 odd minutes.
Match to-ing and fro-ing.

Never sure what would happen.
First time saw a conversion blocked down, some speed from winger.

Huge tactical battle.
Dupont had a good match, weakness was kicker and full back.
Too slow on conversion and hoofed 22 straight into touch.

Have to say as someone that visits France a fair bit, they are some of the most insufferable people in the world.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:02 pm What would you have posted if the Irish try near the end not been held up by Jordie Barrett - in short your post does not compute. It's knockout rugby.
If if If ...
As they used to say if my auntie had balls she would be my uncle.
Of course modern trends at disconnecting from science and facts has made the statement void unfortunately.

Ireland would probably have scraped a win if Barrett hadn't held it up.

But lets play your what if game.
What if Ireland had rested most of the front line players against Romania and Tonga, would Josh and the rest of the backrow actually faired better in the breakdown, if POC had figured out a solution to the cock up of a lineup in SA game would they have faired better against NZ and not coughed up possession?

We can all play what ifs.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

jmayo wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:33 pmHave to say as someone that visits France a fair bit, they are some of the most insufferable people in the world.
:shock:

As someone who probably spends more time with the French than all the rest of ye put together, I have to say it depends on who you're meeting and mixing with, and why. :|
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Peter Stringer robbed the conversion from Australia some years back - but not at the same pace.

'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

It would be hilarious if England beat South Africa in the semi. They know how to win.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:21 pm It would be hilarious if England beat South Africa in the semi. They know how to win.
If England had been in Ireland's group they wouldn't have made it out of the pool games. Awful team and almost all of them unlikeable. All Blacks to regain their rightful place - hopefully.
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:21 pm It would be hilarious if England beat South Africa in the semi. They know how to win.
Oh it would not, England are fcking vile.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:51 pm If England had been in Ireland's group they wouldn't have made it out of the pool games. Awful team and almost all of them unlikeable. All Blacks to regain their rightful place - hopefully.
Ah feck them.
An awful lot of dour Scots Presbyterian types that whinge when they win nevermind lose.
The world cup final after match speech by one R McCaw, one of their most beloved players, was one of the most ungracious utterances I have ever heard.

They had won thanks to a load of absolute awful reffing decisions and he hadn't the good grace to mention the French team.

On the other hand that man that has most to gripe about, one Thierry Dusautoir, excuded class in his speech.

And this is from someone that aint a fan of the French.

Also while Rassie is indeed a pain in the ass, his captain Siya Kolosi is a real class act.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

CelticRambler wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:54 pm :shock:

As someone who probably spends more time with the French than all the rest of ye put together, I have to say it depends on who you're meeting and mixing with, and why. :|
You can meet ordinary decent French people, but by christ it appears a prerequisite that you have to be an absolute ar**hole to work in their service industries.
And no it isn't always that they think you are English or American.
You can turn up speaking Irish and wearing Irish jersey and they still treat you like shyte.

Oh and best excuse heard from French person was that it was due to fact they think everyone is equal since the revolution (Egalite, Fraternite, Liberte) don't think they should serve someone.
Would you ever just fook off.
We are paying for a service, are pleasant, address them as monsieur, try speak their fooking language, but no the French look down their noses at you, fook you out into the sunniest seats, claim they are no longer serving as they allow others walk in and sit down, force to sit in worse seats available, ignore you for ages.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

jmayo wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:24 pm You can meet ordinary decent French people, but by christ it appears a prerequisite that you have to be an absolute ar**hole to work in their service industries.
And no it isn't always that they think you are English or American.
You can turn up speaking Irish and wearing Irish jersey and they still treat you like shyte.

Oh and best excuse heard from French person was that it was due to fact they think everyone is equal since the revolution (Egalite, Fraternite, Liberte) don't think they should serve someone.
Would you ever just fook off.
We are paying for a service, are pleasant, address them as monsieur, try speak their fooking language, but no the French look down their noses at you, fook you out into the sunniest seats, claim they are no longer serving as they allow others walk in and sit down, force to sit in worse seats available, ignore you for ages.
Maybe they're just a bit grumpy about getting knocked out of the World Cup. Give them a break, we know how they feel.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:57 am Oh it would not, England are fcking vile.
Their football team & supporters are unlikeable.

I admire their rugby team.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:03 pm Their football team & supporters are unlikeable.

I admire their rugby team.
We got the good Farrell!!!

I must admit I love that Billy Twelvetrees’ nickname is 36….!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane

Post by 678904673 »

Well that semi final was a total waste of time. Really does make a mockery of the draw
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Happy Days wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:13 pm Well that semi final was a total waste of time. Really does make a mockery of the draw
Too one sided to be entertaining but the All Blacks tries were good to watch. Tomorrow could be 'interesting'. I have taken England at 5/1 with Paddy Power so that should ensure a runaway win for the Springboks. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Boardsie Exile

Post by Boardsie Exile »

Ooph that was close.
England nearly uglied their way into another final, then the saffers suddenly remembered how to play rugby.