Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The 2023 Rugby World Cup

All sports threads. We will distribute the threads into dedicated forums eg Soccer | Rugby | GAA etc as threads are posted.

Re: The 2023 Rugby World Cup

Post by 678904673 »

This bandwagon just gets better and better
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Happy Days wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:03 pm This bandwagon just gets better and better
Oh ffs how typical
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane

Post by 678904673 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:07 pm Oh ffs how typical
I refer you to the second post in this thread :D

Post by 678904673 »

Overall a very impressive win, almost routine. I was disappointed with Tonga. I expected more for them.

Now on the the Box. That promises to be some battle
quodec

Post by quodec »

France 96 Namibia 0. What's the point of these lower echelon teams even competing in the RWC? The only thing that might happen in these 'non event games' is an injury to someone on the better team, like Dupont tonight!!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

quodec wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:48 pm France 96 Namibia 0. What's the point of these lower echelon teams even competing in the RWC? The only thing that might happen in these 'non event games' is an injury to someone on the better team, like Dupont tonight!!
Ah no, it was anybody's game up to the final whistle.
Seriously though I agree with you but until stronger teams make the breakthrough to a higher level it's inevitable. Unlike Ireland very few other countries most popular sport is rugby. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:47 am Ah no, it was anybody's game up to the final whistle.
Seriously though I agree with you but until stronger teams make the breakthrough to a higher level it's inevitable. Unlike Ireland very few other countries most popular sport is rugby. :mrgreen:
We have been hearing that mullarkey for 30 odd years now.
Oh yeah Italy improved, Argentina improved, but both teams seem to be going backwards these days.

Romania and Georgia were better years ago, or maybe it was simply the gap to the big teams was less.

The game is in rag order in Wales and Australia to name two of the old established nations.
In Australia the game has dropped a level in ranking being surpassed by soccer now.
It is in worse ranking than in Ireland with Cricket, Aussie Rules, League and Soccer ahead of it.
In Wales they haven't learned the concept of professionalism.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Karl Stanley isn't happy

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">3 Boeing 737s making a return trip Cork-Paris emit about 70 tonnes of CO2. They should really start showing these matches on the telly or in pubs or something. <a href="https://t.co/oHoi26JtAD">https://t.co/o ... </p>&mdash; Karl Stanley (@karlstanley) <a href=" 22, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

That fooking plonker hasn't it seemed grasp the concept of live sporting occasions.

Let me guess he would only allow people into stadiums that could actually walk or cycle to them.

I was always told never trust a man that knew nothing about any sport.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

jmayo wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:17 pm That fooking plonker hasn't it seemed grasp the concept of live sporting occasions.

Let me guess he would only allow people into stadiums that could actually walk or cycle to them.

I was always told never trust a man that knew nothing about any sport.
The fact that it's rugby has really annoyed him.

As a middle class leftie, he naturally hates the sport.

Bet there wouldn't be a peep out of him if it was football.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

With Dupont likely injured for next 2 games,the Irish rugby supporters are coming in early with their excuses for accepting a potential south Africa defeat

I love to see Ireland do well,but there's something about Irish rugby supporters, particularly the extremely vocal ones,just rubs me up the wrong way ala English soccer fans...the unearned arrogance of em is pure wrong
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Setanta wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:38 pm With Dupont likely injured for next 2 games,the Irish rugby supporters are coming in early with their excuses for accepting a potential south Africa defeat

I love to see Ireland do well,but there's something about Irish rugby supporters, particularly the extremely vocal ones,just rubs me up the wrong way ala English soccer fans...the unearned arrogance of em is pure wrong
When it comes to arrogance the Springboks supporters take some beating and the Irish fans aren't even at the races compared to them. I hope Ireland stuff them tomorrow and run rings around their lumbering forwards. I'll stick a few quid on the Boks just to lessen the pain in case things don't go well. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:13 pm When it comes to arrogance the Springboks supporters take some beating and the Irish fans aren't even at the races compared to them. I hope Ireland stuff them tomorrow and run rings around their lumbering forwards. I'll stick a few quid on the Boks just to lessen the pain in case things don't go well. :mrgreen:
SA are hard listen to TBF,(though some are a mighty laugh!)

But it just irks me,they go on about being happy to lose X match for an easier draw later on,while presumably wanting to actually win the competition,but only the easy way....which there isn't an easy at top level and any success you want,you have to go out and earn,not pick.games your happy to lose
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Setanta wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:38 pm With Dupont likely injured for next 2 games,the Irish rugby supporters are coming in early with their excuses for accepting a potential south Africa defeat

They were making excuses just before the tournament started re the lopsided nature of the draw and how there were so many strong teams in their half (New Zealand, France, Southern Africa etc).

You're right. There is an unearned arrogance among some of them. On the other hand, I don't mind English rugby fans as they've actually won the thing and also reached the final on two other occasions.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:01 pm They were making excuses just before the tournament started re the lopsided nature of the draw and how there were so many strong teams in their half (New Zealand, France, Southern Africa etc).

You're right. There is an unearned arrogance among some of them. On the other hand, I don't mind English rugby fans as they've actually won the thing and also reached the final on two other occasions.
And after all they did invent the game - even thought they seem to have forgotten how to play it these days. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:31 pm And after all they did invent the game - even thought they seem to have forgotten how to play it these days. :mrgreen:

Another nail-biter, right down to the wire. England 71 Chile 0. This England team are real World beaters. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Irelands call is awlful wank,all the same isnt it 🤮🤮

Dunno why the compromise wasn't singing the national anthem in English for those who didn't wanna sing in Irish,it works just aswell in English
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

13 - 8 to Ireland. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :geek: :geek: :geek:
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I’m not drunk and crying honestly - I’ve just had some drinks and I have allergies.

My story and I’m sticking to it !!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

Deleted

Post by Deleted »

Happy Days wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 11:03 pm This bandwagon just gets better and better
What happened ?

I was busy watching Zverev Kotov in the Chengdu open !

- you know a real sport that requires skill and fitness, not just a bunch of fat c*unts running into each other ...

PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Setanta wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:57 pm Irelands call is awlful wank,all the same isnt it 🤮🤮

Dunno why the compromise wasn't singing the national anthem in English for those who didn't wanna sing in Irish,it works just aswell in English
Zombie is a bigger disgrace, did they ever listen to the words before they made it an anthem
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:10 am Zombie is a bigger disgrace, did they ever listen to the words before they made it an anthem
Zombie is superb song and what's wrong with the sentiments expressed in it? It's rousing like "The Seven Nation Army" that was also played at this and other games in the RWC. Can you not find something positive to say about the game - possibly one of the greatest Irish performances ever.

The lyrics from Zombie:

Another head hangs lowly
Child is slowly taken
And the violence caused such silence
Who are we mistaken?

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family
In your head, in your head, they are fightin'
With their tanks and their bombs and their bombs and their guns
In your head, in your head, they are cryin'

In your head, in your head
Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie
What's in your head, in your head?
Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie-ie, oh

Another mother's breakin'
Heart is takin' over
When the violence causes silence
We must be mistaken
[Pre-Chorus]
It's the same old theme, since 1916
In your head, in your head, they're still fightin'
With their tanks and their bombs and their bombs and their guns
In your head, in your head, they are dyin'

In your head, in your head
Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie
What's in your head, in your head?
Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie-ie, oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, eh-eh-oh, ra-ra

As for the National Anthem which most hum along to: :roll:

Amhrán na bhFiann

Sinne Fianna Fáil, atá faoi gheall ag Éirinn,

Buíon dár slua thar toinn do ráinig chugainn,

Faoi mhóid bheith saor,

Seantír ár sinsear feasta,

Ní fhágfar faoin tíorán ná faoin tráill.

Anocht a théam sa bhearna bhaoil,

Le gean ar Ghaeil, chun báis nó saoil,

Le gunna-scréach faoi lámhach na bpiléar,

Seo libh canaig' amhrán na bhFiann.

The Soldier’s Song

Soldiers are we, whose lives are pledged to Ireland,

Some have come from a land beyond the wave.

Sworn to be free, no more our ancient sireland,

Shall shelter the despot or the slave.

Tonight we man the ‘bearna bhaoil’

In Erin's cause, come woe or weal,

'Mid cannons' roar and rifles peal,

We'll chant a soldier's song.
'no more blah blah blah'
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:10 am Zombie is a bigger disgrace, did they ever listen to the words before they made it an anthem
Wouldn't read too much into it tbh,it's only a song,smells of an attempt to manufacture outrage

Kinda hilarious they choose an anti-war song,given the tendancy of many Irish rugby supporters/commentators to use militaristic descriptions of games/players....'going to war/battle'...'onfield general' etc etc.....but it's only a song,and a catchy enough one...won't ever beat 'the wings of a sparrow' song though,😅

Good victory for Ireland though, though if south Africa had brought someone who could actually kick penalties,I think they would have won.....Scotland next seemingly
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Incidentally, "Zombie" is a Munster Rugby song that has been adopted as an Irish rugby song the same as The Fields of Athenry - another Munster anthem that was borrowed from us! :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:56 am Incidentally, "Zombie" is a Munster Rugby song that has been adopted as an Irish rugby song the same as The Fields of Athenry - another Munster anthem that was borrowed from us! :mrgreen:
Thank you Munster !!!!! So much good about our rugby comes from that province!!!