Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The 2023 Rugby World Cup

All sports threads. We will distribute the threads into dedicated forums eg Soccer | Rugby | GAA etc as threads are posted.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: The 2023 Rugby World Cup

Post by CelticRambler »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:56 am... the same as The Fields of Athenry - another Munster anthem that was borrowed from us!
:?: Athenry's in Galway - what right does Munster have to be using it as an anthem? :mrgreen:
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I love Ireland’s Call - the players love it, the crowds love it - look at the emotion on the faces of O’Mahoney and Bundee amongst others.

The fact a couple of sad wannabe edgelords on the net slag it off won’t keep us up at night.

The recording played at the World Cup is dire tho, far too fast.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:56 am Incidentally, "Zombie" is a Munster Rugby song that has been adopted as an Irish rugby song the same as The Fields of Athenry - another Munster anthem that was borrowed from us! :mrgreen:
It's a Limerick song, it's a Limerick anthem, spend any time there and you'll find it everywhere.

What's wrong with the song it's that it preaches to nationalists up north that their grievances were all "in your head"

jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Setanta wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:38 pm With Dupont likely injured for next 2 games,the Irish rugby supporters are coming in early with their excuses for accepting a potential south Africa defeat

I love to see Ireland do well,but there's something about Irish rugby supporters, particularly the extremely vocal ones,just rubs me up the wrong way ala English soccer fans...the unearned arrogance of em is pure wrong
Ah no you really are thinking of the more well heeled ones, the ones in particular from South Dublin who went to one of the private schools.

Years ago I was the only Munster fan (lots of relatives and ancestors from there) in well known pub in Carlow for major Heineken cup game with Leinster.
Had great craic.
None of the obnoxious arrogant assholes you would find in certain Dublin establishments.

Was at last game in old Landsdowne road and had two young Ross O'Carroll types sitting behind us.
They were lamenting fact they had to go noirtside to the bogger stadium for the matches next year.

Oh and insufferable ones age from teens to 70s.

If you want real fans go somewhere like Limerick, anywhere bar South County Dublin for a start, where you have normal people involved.
Stay away from Garryowen mind, full of self important types.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Setanta wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:38 pm With Dupont likely injured for next 2 games,the Irish rugby supporters are coming in early with their excuses for accepting a potential south Africa defeat

I love to see Ireland do well,but there's something about Irish rugby supporters, particularly the extremely vocal ones,just rubs me up the wrong way ala English soccer fans...the unearned arrogance of em is pure wrong
Well that wore well as usual!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jmayo wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:02 am Ah no you really are thinking of the more well heeled ones, the ones in particular from South Dublin who went to one of the private schools.

Years ago I was the only Munster fan (lots of relatives and ancestors from there) in well known pub in Carlow for major Heineken cup game with Leinster.
Had great craic.
None of the obnoxious arrogant assholes you would find in certain Dublin establishments.

Was at last game in old Landsdowne road and had two young Ross O'Carroll types sitting behind us.
They were lamenting fact they had to go noirtside to the bogger stadium for the matches next year.

Oh and insufferable ones age from teens to 70s.

If you want real fans go somewhere like Limerick, anywhere bar South County Dublin for a start, where you have normal people involved.
Stay away from Garryowen mind, full of self important types.
Agreed, try the Midlands - we were all locked and happy in my local!!! Not a Fintan or Sorcha to be had!!!

Setanta

Post by Setanta »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:44 pm Well that wore well as usual!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Huh?
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein

Post by 678904673 »

As much as I'm enjoying the World Cup, I'd forgotten how drawn out the pool stages are. Not helped by the fact that about a third of the teams are just making up the numbers.

Reducing the number of teams would speed things up a bit a lead to more competitive matches at the pool stage
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Happy Days wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:13 pm As much as I'm enjoying the World Cup, I'd forgotten how drawn out the pool stages are. Not helped by the fact that about a third of the teams are just making up the numbers.

Reducing the number of teams would speed things up a bit a lead to more competitive matches at the pool stage
Reducing to 16 teams would help
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

I'm looking to place net on South Africa and Scotland finishing first and second in Pool B.
Checked Paddy Power and BoylesSports websites but bet is not listed there, anybody know where I might be able to place this bet?

Post by 678904673 »

schmittel wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:58 pm I'm looking to place net on South Africa and Scotland finishing first and second in Pool B.
Checked Paddy Power and BoylesSports websites but bet is not listed there, anybody know where I might be able to place this bet?
If you go into a Bookies and ask they will more then likely give you odds on this. Surprised they are not listing this as there is a possibility that Scotland can still qualify
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

England sickeningly lucky Vs Samoa:-(

Hopefully Ireland can beat Scotland
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Anyone else's virgin media acting the c*nt??🤬
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Serious good performance
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Peter O’Mahony - warrior, legend, centurion!!’

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

36 - 14 and it could have been a lot worse for Scotland if not for the injuries to Mack Hansen and James Lowe, plus the early withdrawal of Johnny Sexton and Peter O'Mahony to save them for next weekend. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Looks like Hansen, Lowe & Earls are out injured for the next game. Good job I cleaned my old boots. I'm ready to answer Andy's call:)
quodec

Post by quodec »

17-18 at half time. Ireland making mistakes but hanging on grimly. Like two gladiators fighting to the death. Amazing stuff!
quodec

Post by quodec »

Lost 24-28. Gutted but NZ wanted it and fought for it more than we did. We just weren’t allowed to up our game. I’m away to bed……
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Disappointing
Boardsie Exile

Post by Boardsie Exile »

Been watching rugby since the 1991 World Cup and New Zealand are different sauce when it comes to these kinds of games.

Sexton bowing out on what has been a true golden age for Irish rugby. But still no semi-final to show for all of it, which is gutting.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Gripping game and Ireland left that behind with Jordie Barrett denying them with an amazing defensive effort. No shame in losing by a 4 point margin to the All Blacks. I already can hear the sound of band wagons clattering off into the distance.......Four years time and we'll be back. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Deleted

Post by Deleted »

hahaha!! Hilarious, Ireland lose the fat men running into each other competition ...

JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

RogerMoore wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:30 pm hahaha!! Hilarious, Ireland lose the fat men running into each other competition ...
Well, there’s the ignorant comment for the night.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

RogerMoore wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:44 am What happened ?

I was busy watching Zverev Kotov in the Chengdu open !

- you know a real sport that requires skill and fitness, not just a bunch of fat c*unts running into each other ...

Ah, seems to be wilfully ignorant comments. I guess you’re recycling the same type of ‘clever’ comments a second time because you didn’t get the attention the first time.

If there was a pity-laugh emoji, I still wouldn’t give you one.