Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Horse Racing

All sports threads. We will distribute the threads into dedicated forums eg Soccer | Rugby | GAA etc as threads are posted.
Waning Gibbus

Horse Racing

Post by Waning Gibbus »

For those who like horses or to bet them :D
I will peruse the form, and if I fancy any I will throw them up here.
Waning Gibbus

Re: Horse Racing

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Monday 09/08

I had a look,

Am liking these few:

1.00 Wolverhampton Chase That Dream Went very close last time over track and trip. Came third after meeting trouble then. Is well drawn in the one box, and should have a good pace to aim at, as they tend to go a good clip in these app. races. Not massively priced @ ~2/1, but has really good winning claims.
1.35 Harry George . Has to overcome a poor run lto, but that was after a substantial break. Worth an ew bet, as has the form to go close priced @ ~14/1. Same race & the well supported Calonne needs to prove he can stay the extended mile, but there must be confidence behind him. He's a former winner over 1m at Newcastle, and also rates an ew bet @ ~8/1.

5.05 Windsor Sovereign State looks a decent ew bet @ ~15/2 in another app. race, with a decent jock up.

8.25 Ripon Wots The Wifi Code . Yet another apprentice race. A 15 race maiden, who needs to prove that he can stay the 1m trip this eve. He's a very good ew price @ ~12/1. 4 places on offer here in a very open race, where only the topweight and ~9/4 fav Mikmak holds obvious winning claims imh.
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Above edited to amend date only.. No joy so far :(
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Just tuned back in to SSR.... Appears to be a weird blue hue color on the screen :D :D ... Could be the weather too I s'pose :?
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

From bad to worse... Sovereign State broke about 10+ lengths behind the rest :shock: :(
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

An off-topic post here... Noticed that when I wrote 'colour' and 'programme' (in a post I didn't post) , that both of them words were underlined, as if the spelling of same were incorrect.... The 'Program' recognizes 'color' and 'Program' though (without the underlining/spellcheck)... Maybe the yanks - or their northern neighbours (again with neighbours) perhaps - had a hand in designing the site.. or it could be Microsoft Word or something else.... I dunno, as I know little about software or operating systems... Just thinking about GDPR and all that jazz :?

Anyway, tis a good segue into the day's remaining pick: 'Wots The Wifi Code' , and will hope he puts up a decent showing in the last at Ripon :lol:
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Got one winner yesterday, so that's nt too bad...
Will hope to put up a few later... Was in the humour for it yesterday, so I had a reasonable look at today's 4 English meets ... Have picked a few, but like yesterday, I have no major fancies.. Will give them another look, and try to give some sort of a write-up on them... Like to go with a scattergun type approach, and pick out a fair few, but the write-ups take a bit of time, so that's not paramount for me, but it's generally expected nonetheless on forums, so there's that...
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

10/08

Chelmsford

8.20 Casavola 40/1
J R Best is one of the top course trainers. Filly has yet to win. Is only 4 though, and she came third over a similar trip at the course 2 runs back.
Percy's Prince 22/1
He has a squeak here on some of his Kempton runs. The in-form Rab Havlin, who's also one of the top course jocks, takes mount.
Both picks are more in hope than confidence, and going for the prices here mainly. I have a sneaking suspicion that the short-priced Prescott jolly could be vulnerable here. Wouldn't be a layer, even at 8/11, or so, but would be tempted if :D she shortens into 1/2, or 4/9. Horse is operating at ~evs , so no I wouldn't be opposing the fav for win purposes..

Wolverhampton

2.05 Raabeh 9/1
Yet to win, but usually runs well at the track at sprint trips. David Evans' Heer We Go Again is interesting in this, but not tempted to back him at 9/4 or 5/2.... If it was closer to 4s, then maybe.

2.40 Inclement Weather 13/2
Very aptly named for the week that's in it :D . Another one who I hope will like the course.. Came a good second here over a shorter trip, on her 2nd outing of her 4 so far in total.

3.50 Four Feet 15/2
Another maiden, and needs to improve, but some green shoots as of late, when not beaten so far in his recent outings. Has been mainly ridden by apprentices in his 15 races thus far, but Josie gets the leg up for the second time, having had the seat lto.

Nottingham

3.00 Glan Y Gors 18/1
Hopeful one at a price. Was a lot bigger earlier, but what ya gonna do? :P First run for new trainer Mark Weatherer.
Our New Buddy 11/2
Should like the 1m. 6f. trip combined with the soft ground (don't know what the weather's like over there, but it's soft/softish as I'm looking at racecard). Her trainer Ralph Beckett is in cracking form too.

5.20 Have gone for three here :) :? , as I couldn't really overlook any of them.
Dandy's Angel 4/1
Good claims in an open race.
Hy Eales 9/2
An easy winner over a similar trip on soft two runs ago.
Jungle Book 16/1
I was reluctant to include Liam Bailey's 4yr old, but at double figures, I wouldn't like to omit him. It's an apprentice race, and Mollie Phillips has been in smashing form lately. I feel he may have something to offer here at the 10f trip on the likely soft ground.

Will go ew on all the above...
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

4.45 Nottingham

A wide open 6f 15 runner affair, with 4 places a fifth on offer. A stiff enough trip imo - think it's about 1m. 13.5secs that is the standard time on good going, and it's a bit softer than that today. Don't have a clue what'll win (or even go close) , so I've gone with 3 ew against the field at reasonable prices. Quite a few who like to frontrun in this, and I can see a few at big prices making the frame, with a few, including some of the single digit/fancied protagonists, dropping away inside the last furlong.

For no particular reasons I've gone for:

Secret Potion 8/1, Kolossus 12/1 , and Alex Gracie 28/1.. Hope at least one of the trio will make me get a sweat on here.
notfromhere
Verified Username

Post by notfromhere »

Any luck today.
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

^^
Not much really yesterday.. One winner: Secret Potion, which is good :) , but out of all the rest, could only manage 1 placer... :( A losing day overall
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

11/08

Focusing on just the one race today, and; going ew, I've managed to narrow it down to 4 picks :lol:

3.25 Beverley
It's a very low quality race, so, with that in mind, I can see a strange result possibly. It's 9/4 the field, and I wouldn't be surprised if none of the top three make the frame. I've managed to convince myself to draw a line through the 'jollies' anyhow. That's why I've chanced 4 in hope. Could well be I don't even get as much as a place here; but that's punting I guess :D

Donnelly's Rainbow 13/2
He's down into the basement grade for the first time since winning at Musselburgh in September, and he looks, to me, to be the most likely one out of the twelve to make a winning bid here. Will hope to be seeing this fellow staying on late over the extended 7; on what's supposed to be good ground.

Young John 20/1
Can give him a chance in this low grade back on turf.

Vintage Polly 25/1
Am hoping the first time visor can bring about some improvement for this 4yr old filly.

Bibbidibobbidiboo 20/1
Easy for me to say.. :lol: This 6yr old mare was the first one that caught the eye here, and has a good chance on some of her best form.

Quite a few picks here, and if it were a handicap, I'd probably be doing a rake of tricasts too.. :D
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

12/08

Ffos Las

4.25 L'operateur 13/2.... Was quite a bit bigger earlier, about 11s or so
Very cramped at the top of the market here in this 5 runner affair. As I type it's about 2/1 each of the top three. A maiden race, and his last two runs have been poor. Both of those were over 1m. 2f. and I feel a combination of the trip being perhaps too far, as well as running keen in the penultimate race didn't help. His 2nd at Windsor in April would appear give him a chance in this extended 7f Class 5, as he ran a respectable 2nd then over almost a furlong further, and going on that run, I feel this trip will suit.

Lingfield

6.08 Ivatheengine 5/1
A competitive 6f. Class 3 Handicap, and despite his form figures, he's not been overlooked by the layers. Very hard to pick the winner in this, and it's the low draw in 3 which swings it for me. He can race prominent, has winning form at the Grade and trip, and has only had 9 runs so far this 4yr old.

6.38 Mohareb 11/2
Another that isn't a massive price, but reasonable enough. Does go well on the AW though, where he's rarely beaten far when losing, is a C & D winner, and has the plum draw in box 1. Probably doesn't have much in hand regards handicap rating, but usually gives a solid account.
Isola Rossa 15/2... Another one that was a bigger price, but missed that too :cry: About 10/1
This 3yr old filly will do as a second ew pick here. She's drawn wide in ten, which aint great, and nor is her recent tendency to dwell/get upset in the stalls. The form of her 2nd over the same trip at Chelmsford two runs back will do me how and ever; where she was beaten 2 lengths in a fast run 7f. affair. Like Mohareb, she's also a previous C & D winner.

7.38 Oslo 8/1... Missed the 10s :D Best to be an early bird at this craic, with BOG and all...
Been following this fella for a while, and he at least has place claims. Went close enough on two out his 3 attempts over 10f. on the AW track here, and has a good draw in 3.

Chelmsford

8.22 Lorna Cole 14/1
Can't see anything with outstanding winning claims here, and at a price, this grey can be given a chance.

8.52 Lady Pendragon 9/2
Appears to have as good a chance as any here, and is the handicap topweight.
Think ew on all the above is the way to go.
notfromhere
Verified Username

Post by notfromhere »

That's a lot of work you put in with your posts well done.
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

notfromhere wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:20 pm That's a lot of work you put in with your posts well done.
Cheers mate, Appreciate your support :)
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Saffie is sweet :lol: This generation's Leonna Mayor (mmm Leonnnaaarrrr :lol: ) , but a far better pilot.... :mrgreen:

One winner... I'm happy so far... I'm giving myself a pass on the olde objectivication ;) :P
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

^^^^^^^^^^
Joanna Mason is no back number either tbt... And no worries on the "age score" :D No harm in looking though; I'm sure Saffie's in the 'old enough to drive' category anyhoo... She's been piloting well o'er a year now... Will leave it at that... Onto the presenters - Hammond's lookin hot in her pink summer dress :lol: Pity that race-baiter Josh 'some sort of head of inclusion role' Apiafi's with her... ;) Funny, I never hear a word out of any of them about 'discrimination' , or 'oppression' , or that kind of thing, levelled against any of those involved in the sport, whom are based near or around the 'Persian Gulf' 8-) Everything must be peachy over there... Can't say i'm mad on Leonna's red jacket and pants combo :lol:
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Leonna's gotten rid of that red jacket tf.... Farkin hell, she's a stunner!!
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Carnage there in the last at Lingfield.... Horse and jockey are okay apparently.. Onto the pick Ivatheengine: Kieran O'neill rousted him along early, and looked as though he'd get a third or fourth position... Then he seemed to take a pull; whether the horse was going too keen or not was the reason for his tugging the reins, I don't think so. Appeared as if he let himself cede his possy :cry: when another horse came alongside/cut across. Took a couple of more pulls during the race as well. Must have let himself get caught on heels, but maybe that's down to the horse needing to follow directly behind another one.

Certainly didn't cover himself in glory anyway :( He at least managed to avoid the stricken jockey in front of him in the home straight (will give the horse as much credit on that score in fairness :x ) , and managed to come with a decent late rattle, but was never in any danger of winning.
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Almost got Mohareb there..... The line just didn't come in time :(
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

An addendum to the 6.08 race

Will call it : "Things that goes through a punter's mind"

I'm probably not the only one, but I feel as if I could have at least had the second in that one - I didn't, but it's the psychology of it... Not backing a winner is worse than backing a loser imo.. The second Jack The Truth @ 25/1 had some serious form in the book, but the reasons I didn't go for him are : 1 he's seven , 2 he's had loads of good recent form, but none at all over the day's 6f trip - the last time he tackled it was at Newcastle (a different surface) in January, and the last time he won over it prior to today, was way back in 2017 at Southwell (another different surface). In the meantime, he's had plenty of good/and winning recent-ish form over the minimum at mainly Chelmsford (similar surface) , and was often staying on well too. I'm thinking I might have backed him "on another day". Also think I could have backed the winner there too, as he was the topweight. Probably wouldn't (at least not @ 11/2 or so - was backed in from 10s) have though... :roll:
Just some of the things that a punter rues.... Probably why I often have 2 or more picks in a race :oops: :D

Anyway, the race is over, and just an 11/2 placer :(

And to compound the misery/feeling sorry for meself; we had flippin Apiafi waxing lyrical with Heather Small about, well, I've alluded (alluded my ass - I flat out mentioned it :lol: :lol: ) to it in a previous post.
And just to complete me rant; when pundits talk "specific" crap about x,y or z, I'm wondering are most of them clueless, because later on a colleague often goes on about someone who alluded to x, y, or flamin z. NO THEY DIDN'T - because they FLAT OUT MENTIONED it, which is well north of 'alluded to' (to hint at)... :x

/rant :lol:

A few more races to go... here's hoping :D
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Last controversial post here.. Heather Small - what's up with??? Looks like a bloke, and she bears a striking resemblance to Nile Rogers; who were in that 70s band (Chic I think they were called - still are I suppose, just that they used to be too :lol: ) .. She's no Leonnarr is Heather :?

Might as well push the boat out I reckons, just so we know where the line is at 'early doors' (as George on t'other channel loves to say :D ).... I reckon I might have inched 'a smidgen over the oche' , metaphorically speaking... :lol: Can only be pandemonium if there's no rules.. Imo, I think I'm good in this regard, but there do be over zealous types that allow no craic :cry: It's no fun when there's no humour allowed..

Ah yeah, these be good smileys an all - they each have a word for em so they do, which is handy :|
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

:x :x :x :x :x :x Tudhope was FAARRR too cocky on Oslo :(
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

I wonder who the poor man's Francesca Cumani is .... 2nd best horse deserved to hold on to that race... Interference was minimal... Best horse lost, cos Tudhope held onto him for too long :( #shudbeacryingemoji.... :( just doesn't cover how I'm feeling about that last race..

And apologies to Mr Rogers (Rodgers perhaps?) if I spelled his name wrong.

Onto Chelmsford... Bye bye Leonnar :lol: :( Thanx 4 da memories - into the 'bank' for another time :lol:
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Waning Gibbus wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:06 pm I wonder who the poor man's Francesca Cumani is .... 2nd best horse deserved to hold on to that race... Interference was minimal... Best horse lost, cos Tudhope held onto him for too long :( #shudbeacryingemoji.... :( just doesn't cover how I'm feeling about that last race..

And apologies to Mr Rogers (Rodgers perhaps?) if I spelled his name wrong.

Onto Chelmsford... Bye bye Leonnar :lol: :( Thanx 4 da memories - into the 'bank' for another time :lol:
Her name is Rosie. Rosie Jessop (the former jockey) perhaps? She's certainly no Mrs Jessop (from Postman Pat) :D :D