Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Horse Racing

All sports threads. We will distribute the threads into dedicated forums eg Soccer | Rugby | GAA etc as threads are posted.
Waning Gibbus

Re: Horse Racing

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Nothing from the two Chelmsford picks.... Lorna Cole was a hopeful one, and ran okay for about 2 thirds of the 5f trip, but not surprisingly, she wasn't good enough. Lady Pendragon ran no race at all, and finished 2nd last.. Maybe she needs a break, or only acts round Lingfield...

Had a look at tomorrow's cards.... Haven't found any picks though... Maybe it's for the best, with da date dat's innit :P
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Fr1 13 Aug

7.08 Newmarket

Looks to be impossible to pick the winner here. Atavique has claims based on her C & D win lto, but that was in a 5 runner affair, the time was nothing special, and she's been raised 4lbs for that effort. She's only 4 and is in form, but at 9/2 doesn't make massive appeal. Sienna Breeze, who's just three, also won lto, but that was at a mile, or 2 furlongs shorter than today, and @ 10/3 she can be overlooked I feel. The other short priced one Contingency Fee, who can be backed at 7/2, is a definite stayer, as he's won over further, at 1 1/2 miles, but, being a frontrunner, It looks as though he's there to be shot at, so not much appeal there.

At least the above have solid claims, as they're in form, and one of them may well win, but I've gone for 2 ew here with far less obvious chances, but at bigger prices.

Catch My Breath 33/1... A lot have this one priced at 22 according to the oddschecker, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's no double carpet in Paddy's when the shops open.
Has won a few times, with 4 over a mile, and one over 9fs. Is down a few pounds since his last victory. He probably wants it a bit softer than the current going of good to firm, if he's to see the trip out, but at a big price, will factor in the possibility of some rain.

Torbellino 11/1
She's only won the once, and not at all consistent, but runs today in a Class 5 on good (according to the current description) ground over 1m 2f, which seem to be her optimum conditions. A replication of either her 3rd at Goodwood in June, or her second at Windsor in April (both at the same distance as today's race) should see her not to far away.

Would not be having the utmost of confidence in either of the above, but will dutch them ew to keep losses at a minimum, and hope a minor surprise is sprung here.. Whatever does win, I'll not be sorry if I didn't back the winner. It doesn't have that sort of look to it. On the plus side, outside of Contingency Fee, there doesn't appear to be too many frontrunners here, and with 11 runners, there's bound to be a few hard luck stories, so I'm happy to take my chances with the two picks.

On the whole, the racecards appear massively tricky to solve, and am content to just fire a couple of bullets today.

Good luck to anyone punting today.. Will be needed imo :)
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Sat 14/08

8.05 Market Rasen

Some in here of interest that I probably won't be backing today.

Nachi Falls @ 8/1. This one was in very good form at around this time last year winning 2 back to back last July and August. Has done nothing since however, and I thought he'd be at least 20/1; and, even then, I feel that that would be short enough.
Major Snugfit @ 7/1. From a good dual purpose trainer in Rebecca Menzies. I feel that he'll win one sooner or later. He's only 5, and has won on the flat lto, but not today for me.
Grand Enterprise @ 13/2. Am reluctant to exclude this 11yr old who is a C & D winner from last time out. The race was ran in a very fast time, and can't fault that form, but, on that day he was ridden by the champ Brian Hughes, and I feel that it'll be hard for him to repeat that victory.

Those are some who could go well, but the pen landed on these 2:

Phoenix Dawn 8/1. Topweight, and he can go well in a Class 5 here. Not the most consistent, and does make the odd error. but, on his day, he can make his presence felt. Will go win on him, as he looks a win or come nowhere proposition. He's a 7yr old, and has had 2 trainers before going to Richard Newland's stable. I don't think a trainer such as the doctor would take a castoff from a lesser stable, unless he thought there was some potential there.

Stage Power 14/1. A 4yr old who has been tried in both codes on both sides of the Irish Sea. Hasn't done much, but his last run looked like an improvement. He was beaten by 11 lengths lto over 2fs shorter, and can get involved provided he can build on that 5th at Perth. Has each way claims in this.
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Sat 14/08

8.05 Market Rasen

Some in here of interest that I probably won't be backing today.

Nachi Falls @ 8/1. This one was in very good form at around this time last year winning 2 back to back last July and August. Has done nothing since however, and I thought he'd be at least 20/1; and, even then, I feel that that would be short enough.
Major Snugfit @ 7/1. From a good dual purpose trainer in Rebecca Menzies. I feel that he'll win one sooner or later. He's only 5, and has won on the flat lto, but not today for me.
Grand Enterprise @ 7/1. Am reluctant to exclude this 11yr old who is a C & D winner from last time out. The race was ran in a very fast time, and can't fault that form, but, on that day he was ridden by the champ Brian Hughes, and I feel that it'll be hard for him to repeat that victory.

Those are some who could go well, but the pen landed on these 2:

Phoenix Dawn 8/1. Topweight, and he can go well in a Class 5 here. Not the most consistent, and does make the odd error. but, on his day, he can make his presence felt. Will go win on him, as he looks a win or come nowhere proposition. He's a 7yr old, and has had 2 trainers before going to Richard Newland's stable. I don't think a trainer such as the doctor would take a castoff from a lesser stable, unless he thought there was some potential there. Has drifted out to a respectable price.

Stage Power . 14/1. A 4yr old who has been tried in both codes on both sides of the Irish Sea. Hasn't done much, but his last run looked like an improvement. He was beaten by 11 lengths lto over 2fs shorter, and can get involved provided he can build on that 5th at Perth. Has each way claims in this. Was about 25s earlier, so a bit sickened I missed that. 14/1 is reasonable though, if connections expect a bold showing.

3.45 Ripon The Great St Wilfrid Handicap (the big TV race, if it's even on TTV, that is)

Intrinsic Bond 10/1. is my ew pick against the field. Some good recent form figures, and a high draw. which is good. Price aint too generous tho :(

PS, Meant to include Ripon race in above post...
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

Nothing to contribute myself here, but am following with interest. I don't bet unless I am at the track, so have not bet in a long time now!
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Thanks for chipping in MM :) The more the merrier.. !!
Don't need to have any fancies or any predictions to post, and hopefully a few more will get onboard to aid finding those elusive winners :P

Might help with finding a few for when the Irish meets are back open (unless they are already.. I wouldn't really know, as I was an infrequent racegoer :lol: ).... Cos I'm not a massive fan of Irish racing, as I think it's far too hard/tricky to solve them... On a 'Pro Rata' basis, I think I have about 1 bet on Irish racing for every 5 on the English ones.... And that's not a hell of a lot considering there are about 5 (at a guess) times as many British meets a year compared to Ireland.

GL in your future punting endeavours :D
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

15/08

4.10 Chelmsford Roca Magica 10/1 ew
Has been out of form of late, and has mainly been running on turf. Her latest run at Yarmouth looks too bad to be true, so will draw a line through that one. She's thrice :lol: (I wonder if there are equivalent words for 4 plus - once, twice, three times = 'thrice' , but nowt for 4 or 5 :? :lol: ) a C & D winner, and today's jockey Callum Shepherd has won on her before. She's drawn wide enough in 9, but this shouldn't matter, as she's normally held up. Horse is rated 10lbs lower than her last victory, which was in July of last year. A very open race, and whatever question marks there are about the pick, they are definitely offset by her price. Worth a go ew, for a horse that is 'due one' I feel (hope :P )....
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

17 August

each way picks with a squeak

Carlisle
5.05 Sharrabang 12/1

Hamilton
1.45 Big Les 8/1
2.15 Stronsay 14/1
3.25 Amaysmont 16/1
4.00 Amourie 13/2

Wolverhampton
1.00 Grandscape 16/1 Nap , Tribuna Uffizi 8/1
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

August 19

3 ew picks today

Chepstow
1.40 Castlerea Tess 40/1
2.15 Alba Del Sole 25/1
3.55 Swissal 7/1
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

20 Aug

A poor last few days. Will plough on, and go each way on these 3 today.

Melgate Majeure 10/1 5.35 Newcastle
Loweswater 20/1 8.37 Newastle
Rovaniemi 11/1 4.20 Kempton
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Disgraceful scenes at York Racecourse there :roll: .. We've got 2 presenters at 'cocktail bar' , and behind the bar is the 'mixologist' and Racing TV's Megan Nicholls (She's alright, but she's no Leonnnarrr :D )
No harm there - just a bit o fun; you might think..... But no; it's altogether more sinister.. Discrimination abounds... In background there were sign stating 'CARD PAYMENTS ONLY' ... This represeents an appalling vista imo :evil: Getting closer and closer to "Show us your papers" :(
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

No joy today... The drought continueth.... over 20 picks without a winner... and not many placers among the losers either :(
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

And who are Bing and Google?? Two of the 103 or so 'Registered Users' that are 'currently online''.... These must have special priviliges, as there aint no option to check them out, as it were... Try hovering the cursor over their monikers, and you'll find that these monikers neither flash, nor become underlined.. No way of checking their profile/post counts/whatever etc,.. I notice that they have a different colour to the rest of us registered users - sort of a grey(y)/pink colour, and the rest o us are blue - well, apart from Admins and such, and it's possible to click on the profiles of the latter.... But Bing, and Google... Russian bots p'raps?
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

^^^^
There's another one - goes by the name of 'Legend'... wtf??
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Due a change of fortune :P :oops:
A lot of bullets today, so I'm sure to catch a wunner or three :lol: ;)

York

3.35 The Ebor = one o the biggest puntin races of year, so with 5 or 6 places on offer, I'll go with SEVEN :shock: each way in this 8-)

Ilaraab 9/1 , Hamish 6/1 , Alounak 33/1, Global Storm 12/1, Mirann 8/1 (one of two Johnny Murtagh sends over for this) , Makawee 50/1, Shanroe 18/1

Sandown

1.00 Rose Hip 11/2 , Saaheq 15/2
2.40 Maamora 20/1, Saffron Beach 9/2
3.15 Data Protection 33/1
3.45 Ripp Orf 12/1

Chester

1.40 Revich 5/1
2.10 Uber Cool 6/1 Nap
3.20 Sunday Sovereign 9/2, Barbill 11/4
4.20 Arabist 4/1

Hard to know about the weather and going for the turf meets, but I think most will be okay as long as the above meets don't go soft - good, or good to soft may not be too bad. They're all good or good to firm atm afaik..

Chelmsford

8.00 Jumaira Bay 3/1 , King's Knight 14/1
8.30 Samphire Coast 18/1, Swiss Knight 8/1
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Been too lazy to do write-ups lately... Will try and do them from time to time - if time permits...

Just a few minutes before first race is off. Always a good time, as "hope" levels do be high :D Hopefully we hold us own early doors, and maybe make some coin too :)
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Bad start at Sandown :( 2 places on offer, and got 3rd and 4th :P
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Racing TV is a joke - they have too many meets to accomodate the viewer who wants to watch the races on the TV!! About 40 English/UK meets, and the 26 or so Irish meets.... SSR should have kept the Irish racing - then there would have been an even spread on the two channels..

Now, if Racing TV were to add on another "TV CHANNEL", so all, or at least 'most' races could be watched; then fair enough.. But fair play to Racing TV - if you want full coverage of all the meets, you can go 'online' :roll: :lol: ... Fuq going online sez I - I want to watch the ruddy racing on me ruddy television set.... Kernts!! :evil: Fek RACING TV EXTRA :? :roll: , which aint shown on the FECKIN TV!!!!!!!
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Drought continues - getting on for 30 picks since I put up a winner :oops: :cry: Will try remain upbeat though - still a few left to go today :lol:
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Andrew Thornton is very annoying..
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Waning Gibbus wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:01 pm Racing TV is a joke - they have too many meets to accomodate the viewer who wants to watch the races on the TV!! About 40 English/UK meets, and the 26 or so Irish meets.... SSR should have kept the Irish racing - then there would have been an even spread on the two channels..

Now, if Racing TV were to add on another "TV CHANNEL", so all, or at least 'most' races could be watched; then fair enough.. But fair play to Racing TV - if you want full coverage of all the meets, you can go 'online' :roll: :lol: ... Fuq going online sez I - I want to watch the ruddy racing on me ruddy television set.... Kernts!! :evil: Fek RACING TV EXTRA :? :roll: , which aint shown on the FECKIN TV!!!!!!!
Compare and contrast :roll: Racing TV aint able to show all the races today (just like plenty o' other days 8-) ) , but Sky Sports Racing have such such a dearth of racing; that we're yet again shown the totality of the 'Boycie Segment' and his Cycling for Racing charity, or somesuch crap; that the majority of us punters could nae give a rat's aaras aboot :? :lol:
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Big one coming up at york... Hope I gets the first 6 :D
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

And Johnny Murtagh wins the Ebor,.... Not the one I picked though... :oops: :? :(
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Happy Birthday Leonnaarr :)

41 today is our Leonna... 40 bloody 1..... Could harly believe me gogglin bins :D She's well fit for 41... I thought she were a lot younger - early 30s I woulda thought :lol: Always worth tuning in to SSR if Leonna Mayor is on :lol:
Waning Gibbus

Post by Waning Gibbus »

Tuesday, August 24

A lot o bullets for today. EW mostly...

Yarmouth
1.00 Swiss Flamingo 40/1 , Breezyandbright 7/2
2.30 Harbour Project 18/1 , Manfadh 13/2, Shyjack 13/2
3.00 Farhh To Shy 7/2 , Sir Benedict 11/4, Dashing Dick 3/1
3.30 Miss Trixie 10/1, Sparkling Diamond 50/1
4.00 Sorbonne 10/1 , Okaidi 7/1, Stage Lights 7/1
4.35 Tilsworth Taibo 16/1, Lowndes Square 4/1