Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

BBC Panorama: The Dark Side of Horseracing

All sports threads. We will distribute the threads into dedicated forums eg Soccer | Rugby | GAA etc as threads are posted.
mugball
Verified Username

BBC Panorama: The Dark Side of Horseracing

Post by mugball »

Did anybody see this - about euthanasia in horse racing. I missed it but just read the article on the IT - https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/racing ... -1.4625150

Sounds like it painted a fairly grim picture. But we all know that horses get put done. Was it all hype or genuine cause for concern?
Dave Hedgehog

Re: BBC Panorama: The Dark Side of Horseracing

Post by Dave Hedgehog »

Didn't see it but no more than the greyhounds, the animals are a commodity and if money can't be made off them then they are surplus to requirements. The photo of Gordon Elliot illustrates exactly the attitude towards the animals across large swathes of the industry.
mugball
Verified Username

Post by mugball »

The impression I get from the article that
Dave Hedgehog wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:03 pm Didn't see it but no more than the greyhounds, the animals are a commodity and if money can't be made off them then they are surplus to requirements. The photo of Gordon Elliot illustrates exactly the attitude towards the animals across large swathes of the industry.
The impression I get from the article is that the programme is recognising they are surplus and not trying trying to say they should be put down, just that there is a fair amount of unnecessary cruelty in the process
OldManYellsAtCloud

Re: BBC Panorama: The Dark Side of Horsera

Post by OldManYellsAtCloud »

Coincidentally just watched it there and then stumbled across this thread.

Pretty interesting stuff. Injured retired race horses being shipped from Ireland to the UK to slaughter houses. Not humanely put down. Shot from a distance etc.

As with everything though, the program does have an angle so it would be better to hear from both sides fully.

No doubt a large number of race horses are tossed to one side once their career is over. They gave a figure in the thousands of horses that had been put down in the last year which I thought was a crazy amount but I don’t have any real context for it.

They made a big deal of Elliot and that photo which I didn’t think was a good starting point myself.

Also had a bit on O Leary of Ryanair and the huge stable of horses he had. 500 odd. One sixth of them I think were put down through injury(if I remember correctly).
schmittel
Verified Username

Re: BBC Panorama: The Dark Side of Horsera

Post by schmittel »

OldManYellsAtCloud wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:34 pm Coincidentally just watched it there and then stumbled across this thread.

Pretty interesting stuff. Injured retired race horses being shipped from Ireland to the UK to slaughter houses. Not humanely put down. Shot from a distance etc.
Did they give any explanation as to why they’re being shipped to the UK? Seems a long and presumably expensive journey to make, just to shoot a horse. Do we not have facilities to deal with carcasses?

Probably shipped back here as tesco burgers!
OldManYellsAtCloud

Post by OldManYellsAtCloud »

The owners/trainers move them on to horse dealers. Horses are actually sold for horse meat although there is a FSA bet on site in the slaughter house at the time. The horses are chipped and have a passport so any drugs they’ve been given in their life should show up and deem them not fit for human consumption.

Plenty of the horses were found with two chips in them so obviously they are being illegally fed into the food chain, or at least are trying to be.

It didn’t explain why the horses were being sent to the UK but the abattoir in the UK they were being sent to was one of only a few that had a license to process horses.

They didn’t get any comment or information from the horse dealer who sent them on their journey(some of them lame and in obvious pain) but I’m sure there is money being made somehow from doing it.