Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

[GOLF] Rory McIlroy

All sports threads. We will distribute the threads into dedicated forums eg Soccer | Rugby | GAA etc as threads are posted.
GreeBo
Verified Username

[GOLF] Rory McIlroy

Post by GreeBo »

So, is he ever going to come good again or has his time been and gone?
GreeBo
Verified Username

Re: [GOLF] Rory McIlroy

Post by GreeBo »

I reckon he is toast, not sure if he is just not that bothered any more or if there is something else going on, but he continues to have fundamental problems with putting and wedge play while more and more new, young guys are getting better and better.

Don't see him winning another major.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

I'd agree. No doubt he has the talent but does he have the focus/ambition/temperament? His early success came too easily I fear.
Osamabindipper

Post by Osamabindipper »

I just don't think he has the same hunger as others. No doubt he is more talented then most of who is winning now but he comes across as someone that's content and just happy to tick along and fulfil his obligations.

I'd never rule him out of a major tho I think he has the quality that when things click for him he would wipe the field. I think Morikawa is the new golden boy of golf and that could suit many guys like Rory.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

I think you hit the nail on the head re hunger.

A few years ago through work I got to know a well known sportsman who retired as best of the best in his field. I was chatting to him about what makes sports people successful and he was adamant it was 80% + hunger and drive, and most top individual sports stars are not the most talented, but the most driven.

He cited three examples - AP Mc Coy as the driven champion, Federer as the rare example of somebody whose drive matches the talent, and MCIlroy as rare example of someone who achieves top flight success on talent alone.

He predicted McIroy’s success would not last.
GreeBo
Verified Username

Post by GreeBo »

When you compare him to someone like Harrington or Poulter you see what a difference having drive makes. It can overcome many talent related shortcomings.
weldoninhio

Post by weldoninhio »

Who cares? I've no interest in british sportspeople. I'm too busy supporting Irish ones.
Indiablo

Post by Indiablo »

Sounds weird to say of a professional but to me he looks like he lacks a bit of professionalism. It's like once he figures he can't win a tournament he just goes through the motions. Not a great attitude and like any high level sport it's very difficult to switch it on and off like that.
"The Nature of Reality is Pure Subjective Fantasy"
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

Indiablo wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:58 pm Sounds weird to say of a professional but to me he looks like he lacks a bit of professionalism. It's like once he figures he can't win a tournament he just goes through the motions. Not a great attitude and like any high level sport it's very difficult to switch it on and off like that.
I agree with you regarding the professionalism. I remember when Spieth caught fire mcilroy tried to change his putting grip to match, then last year with dechambeau he attempted to change his swing to get more length. His process to change aspects of his game seems so flippant. I cant understand who would be advising him to make those changes. Surely if someone is analysising his game surely distance off the tee is not an area he needs to change or worry about.
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

To be fair to McIlroy he performed well there. He was unlucky in the playoff. Almost got Ireland another Olympic medal.
Osamabindipper

Post by Osamabindipper »

Love and theft wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:57 am To be fair to McIlroy he performed well there. He was unlucky in the playoff. Almost got Ireland another Olympic medal.
Yep he had a good weekend and really tried his best which was nice to see.

Watching the playoff I forgot it was not for first place hahah.
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

Osamabindipper wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:47 am Yep he had a good weekend and really tried his best which was nice to see.

Watching the playoff I forgot it was not for first place hahah.
The bronze playoff created great drama this morning. Once rory went out it was anybody but the Americans for me..they already had the gold
Indiablo

Post by Indiablo »

It was indeed great drama and you could see how bad he wanted to win a medal there.

One thing you can always do is count on him to give his all in any team event.

Love watching how passionate he gets at the Ryder Cup.
"The Nature of Reality is Pure Subjective Fantasy"
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

It's one thing being passionate it's another thing getting the job done. I remember at one of the recent Ryder cups McIlroy wanted to be first out on the Sunday to get Europe back into the contest. He goes out first and draws with Patrick Reed. Fair play for putting his hand up but he then has got to go and win his match.
GreeBo
Verified Username

Post by GreeBo »

I dont think you can be too hard on someone who volunteers to go first and then gets a draw against someone who is/was one of the top golfers in the world...
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

That's a fair point although at the time it was more of a "I'm leading the Sunday charge" rather then the captain asking "whod like to go first?"

He can make up fo it this September!!!