Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Cricket - ain't what it used to be.

All sports threads. We will distribute the threads into dedicated forums eg Soccer | Rugby | GAA etc as threads are posted.
Riffmongous

Re: Cricket - ain't what it used to be.

Post by Riffmongous »

The Continental Op wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:12 pm Why not knock yourself out and edit the Wikipedia Glossary of cricket terms.

Batsman is used 404 times, batter only 8.
Well someone else has already done the main page, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket

78 mentions of batter and only one of batsman

Post by 490808 »

So Wikipedia can forget a donation from me this year :D

No mention of batsman at all really. It's only in the old reference to LAW 2 which if you look the MCC's The Laws has already had all reference to batsman removed.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Burning books will be next.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Mountain wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:05 am So the backlash is being led by the Trump loving, trans-baiting arch misogynist Piers Morgan, who throws in the "whites" reference to make his fan club feel extra threatened...
I think Trump should be behind bars, don't know any trans people or anything about Piers Morgan, don't get my news from the Sun, so where does that place me? As the article stated, there are other cricketing terms such as 'third man' that will need changing to satisfy the woke/pinko/leftie/perpetually offended brigade who haven't the slightest interest or knowledge of the game of cricket. How about 'long leg', might this term be seen as discriminating against those suffering from dwarfism?
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Mountain wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:49 am So...you're saying Piers Morgan is more interested in and knowledgeable about the game of cricket than the MCC and the players who support this?

I disagree. I think he's just a troll. But at least the debate is settling into identifiable groups, the PC pinko brigade on one side and Piers army of trolls on the other...
Don't know how on earth you came to that conclusion from what I posted.
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Mountain wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:05 am So the backlash is being led by the Trump loving, trans-baiting arch misogynist Piers Morgan, who throws in the "whites" reference to make his fan club feel extra threatened...
Jesus fecking Christ, that is some top level absolute garbage. Is there an ignore feature yet here ???
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:15 am Don't know how on earth you came to that conclusion from what I posted.
It’s called twisting what you said to appear you said what they want you to have said. Cathy Newman 101.

It’s pathetic, disingenuous, lazy and sadly a staple of a board related entity that I should we were better than.

I’ll be getting called a TERF with impunity next ….!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I was away gardening all day or would have joined in but now I'm too 'knackered' to bother - can I still use that word?
'no more blah blah blah'
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

Mountain wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:39 pm (i) you have
(ii) why ask on a cricket thread?
Go to your safe space :P
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

Mountain wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:57 am Oh I'm not going anywhere, I'm enjoying all the old white men shaking their fists at the sky! :D
:lol: bully for you. Careful you don't become an unpaid footsoldier for the Tavistock institute ;)
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

Back on track, I reckon the best thing to happen in cricket in years is T20 and the hundred. Riveting stuff, and doesn't take up a whole weekend.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

SmartinMartin wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:04 am Back on track, I reckon the best thing to happen in cricket in years is T20 and the hundred. Riveting stuff, and doesn't take up a whole weekend.
If the game is reduced in length much further you might as well toss a coin to decide the result and save a lot of time. T20 is an unskilled slog fest.
'no more blah blah blah'
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

Opinions differ. I thoroughly enjoy it and I think it can do the long game no harm whatsoever, it'll introduce new blood.

Post by 490808 »

Del.Monte wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:50 am If the game is reduced in length much further you might as well toss a coin to decide the result and save a lot of time. T20 is an unskilled slog fest.
While I feel that the T20 has reduced cricket to something similar to baseball I also acknowledge it has got a far wider audience than Test Cricket and as such has probably got a lot more people interested in the game.
GubuOriginal

Post by GubuOriginal »

Mountain wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:46 pm Because some cricketers, and women cricketers, wanted it.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/from ... me-1259616

So...why not?
What about those who didn't want it?
GubuOriginal

Post by GubuOriginal »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:50 am Jesus fecking Christ, that is some top level absolute garbage. Is there an ignore feature yet here ???
The kind of shite I was hoping to avoid on gubu.
GubuOriginal

Post by GubuOriginal »

:?
Mountain wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:57 am Oh I'm not going anywhere, I'm enjoying all the old white men shaking their fists at the sky! :D
Ah, there it is, the subtle racism. A lovely example of how such racism has become common place, accepted and even encouraged in certain quarters. Unfortunate really.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

I remember my PE teacher at school referring to cricket as "chess on the playing field" and as such, the idea of a shortened game would appear anathema but funnily enough I quite enjoy T20. It gives the top batsmen and bowlers the opportunity to shine and limited overs means the top fast bowlers can bowl for most of the game which I love to watch. It will never replace the cat and mouse of the five day game but it has its place, that's for sure.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Must admit this thread is not one I've keep a close modding eye on, assuming it was all terribly civilised in here, but perhaps I was mistaken. If anybody wants to have a civilised discussion on the merits of woke/pink/lefties vs Trump loving, trans-baiting, arch misogynists they are more than welcome to start a thread. Here, it's just not cricket!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Cricket can get quite heated, as can discussions, and the thread reminded me of the "Bodyline" mini-series from the 1980s. The whole series is available on YouTube and well worth a watch. I noticed this amongst the comments attributed to Australian fast bowler Jeff Thompson "the sound of the ball striking the batsman's skull is music to my ears" and it reminded me of when I deliberately bowled a ball into the head of a dozy fielder who repeatedly dawdled while crossing the wicket at the end of each over. I was only twelve or so at the time and luckily I wasn't a 'fast' bowler but it still felled him. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'