Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Great personal sporting achievements

All sports threads. We will distribute the threads into dedicated forums eg Soccer | Rugby | GAA etc as threads are posted.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Great personal sporting achievements

Post by Del.Monte »

As any of you who have read the cricket thread will know, I fancied myself as Ireland's answer to Ian Botham but sadly my athletic prowess never received the recognition it deserved. My crowning achievement came early in life (I was just eight!) when I was awarded a medal for my efforts at the Aravon Sports Day in 1966. It was the only medal that I ever won and 55+ years later I still have it amongst my heirlooms.

I was sports mad but always seemed to have had a knack of being either mitching from school or being dropped from whatever team I was in when the team photographs were taken. I believe the only photograph that I appeared in was of the 1st eleven hockey team of 1971. I saw it displayed in the school years later but the school itself is now gone and nobody else that I know has a copy - sic transit gloria mundi.

Come on, more stories, there must be some kindred spirits on here. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Osciiboscii

Re: Great personal sporting achievements

Post by Osciiboscii »

I couldn't run for peanuts, always last in school races. But I shone at things like rounders/badminton that didn't rely on running. Later, at Macra field evenings I'd win odd things like skipping and obstacle courses. I've a boxful of Macra awards 😅.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

CBS primary hurling league autumn 1981. Preliminary quarter final. Saints & Scholars vs Brian Borus. Our team (S&S) started with just three players out of ten. The BBs had a 90% complement and were 5-1 to 0-0 up at half time. I was in goal.

Two more of our players turned up at the start of the second half and one of the opposition's was sent off for throwing his hurl. The game then turned and we started getting scores on the board; the two lads who came on made a huge difference. With about five minutes to go, I scored a goal from a puck out and in the last seconds we got the winner. 8-0 to 7-1 was the final outcome.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Never had interest in team sports growing up (and still dont have any interest). I find GAA and soccer boring as feck.

My poison was motorsport, even if the budget quiet didn't allow me to compete. I did the odd test trial and my claim to fame is I wasn't at the bottom of the time sheets. Yes I can't drive a nail......
Enoch Von Clausewitz

Post by Enoch Von Clausewitz »

winning an under 12s GAA medal when I was 13 :D half the team was overage :lol:
"when illusion spin her nette, i'm never where i wanna be"

'Cardmarker , CrossDresser , Awarenesss Raiser & Freelance Disabuser' <all rights reserved>
KHD

Post by KHD »

I won a trophy for catching the biggest trout in a Junior fly fishing competition when I was younger. Only thing I ever won and cycled back over 5 miles with it in my bag. Was chuffed with it and the trout which I gutted and father ate that evening.
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

I won a good few medals for sprinting when I was younger.
Small regret that I didn't persue it but then again I wasn't exactly encouraged; there seems to an unhealthy fascination with long distance running in Irish athletics.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I was exceptionally good at the potato and spoon racing, and probably would have excelled in the three legged competition except for the unwieldy klutzes with whom I always ended up being paired. Other than that I have never really been sporty beyond hill walking. For a brief few weeks in my forties I showed an unexpected aptitude at wind sailing which surprised both myself and my companions on the course we were all doing. I was really good at it! But I have not had a chance to shine on the board since.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...