Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

No more turf fires?

Renewable energies, sustainability, recycling and everything in between
Hairy-Joe

No more turf fires?

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I hear on the radio that Eamonn Ryan is planning on stopping the sale and distribution of turf.

Personally I think it's the wrong decision. People have burnt turf for hundreds of years. The big turf users in the ESB and Bord na Mona are not harvesting. The small amount that individuals take is nothing by comparison.

Turf is a fuel in rural Ireland and a lot of people rely in it. Mr Ryan is divorced from the reality of living in Rural Ireland
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: No more turf fires?

Post by Del.Monte »

Private individuals with turbary rights are still allowed to cut turf but they will no longer be able to supply other people. Commercial turf cutting should have been stopped in a phased manner years ago and the sudden shut-down of Bord na Mona operations with seemingly no thought of the horticulture industry is typical of the way our politicians ham-fistedly handle things.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Personally I've no "skin in the game" as I dont use open fires. I still think it's a daft decision.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:27 pm I hear on the radio that Eamonn Ryan is planning on stopping the sale and distribution of turf.

Personally I think it's the wrong decision. People have burnt turf for hundreds of years. The big turf users in the ESB and Bord na Mona are not harvesting. The small amount that individuals take is nothing by comparison.

Turf is a fuel in rural Ireland and a lot of people rely in it. Mr Ryan is divorced from the reality of living in Rural Ireland
Mr Ryans salary allows him to take the pick of the crop when it comes to the choices of the best energy for the home and transport that stops harming the planet. How about saving the cost of paying him when the useless shite falls to sleep when he is supposed to be engaging in the dail.

Any normal person would be sacked.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I am a natural Green voter but Eamonn Ryan needs to be shown the door, along with several others in the party, and they need to re-focus on the environment rather than social engineering.
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

I think most people are concerned about what's happening regarding climate change etc. and all things being equal, will make their contribution but gobshites like Ryan can't seem to grasp the fact that there are times when events take precedence over ideologies.
SmartinMartin

Post by SmartinMartin »

He's a gobshite. They need to dump him asap.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I can see this hurting rural FF & FG greatly. People will remember this and even though it very much looks like Mr Ryan shooting off his mouth with a proposal, FF & FG will get blame from the electorate for "supporting that daft idea".

The whole thing shows how divorced Ryan and the Greens are both from ordinary folk living outside the major urban centres and politically. The cute thing to do would have been to launch a "consultative process" with all stakeholders and have all solid fuels on the agenda. That could have started a debate and process to get rid of all smoky fuels. But Mr Ryan hadn't the cop on to go that way. He just announced "and they're gone!"

When it comes to the vote, I can see Mr Ryan getting schooled in politics. I can see a lot of the rural FF and FG TD's suddenly "going missing" when the vote's being called and not voting at all. That way, they won't have broken the party whip by voting against but the missing votes will be crucial. However, if quite a few gubberment TD's vote against (I'm thinking maybe 10 plus), they can't afford to remove the whip from that many.

Don't be surprised if this leads to an election. Stranger things have happened (tax on kids shoes brought down one government before)