Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Anybody using a Water Butt? Wondering what it’s like in Irish weather.

Renewable energies, sustainability, recycling and everything in between
Séimhe

Anybody using a Water Butt? Wondering what it’s like in Irish weather.

Post by Séimhe »

I’m considering getting one of these so I can water the garden plants without running the tap. Do they make much difference practically?
Hairy-Joe

Re: Anybody using a Water Butt? Wondering what it’s like in Irish weather.

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I set one up when there was going to be water charges. When the charges went, I got rid of it as it was too much hassle.

BTW, just passed the office for Jerez water in Spain. It's the local authority water office. They have a special offer, €3.85 for 1000Litres.....
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Thanks HJ. What kind of hassle? I assume there is no upkeep or maintenance once installed.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Depends on where you live in Ireland, In some places a water butt is overkill unless you have a lot of sensitive house plants and hard water. I live in the "Sunny Southeast" and though it is true that the climate is drier than in, say Donegal, it still rains a lot.
I found when I had a water butt, that most of the water was going down the drain from the overflow but if you have a really dry spell like we had a few years ago the water would be gone in no time as most of them hold less than about 40 gallons. There is also the problem, in dry weather, of keeping the water "sweet", as it will stagnate and attract all sorts of bugs and beasties. Then there is the problem of cleaning them, all sorts of dirt and shit is washed into them from the gutters, which again, is a breeding ground for nasties.
So really, unless you're prepared to have at least a half dozen connected butts and keep them all in good clean condition, and grow a lot of veggies, it's a bit of a pain.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

There's a bit of hassle - in winter, when it freezes, you have to ensure that they either have no water left, or enough to ensure that the ice doesn't split them, and you need to check/drain them periodically to make sure that there isn't too much of a layer of gunk at the bottom (the amount of which depends on how you have them installed).

In my climate, I have three and it's nowhere near enough for the watering I do, so I'm digging a pond instead. Apart from not paying for metered water just to pour it on the ground, the main reason I wanted a water butt was to be able to irrigate my vegetables with non-chlorinated "pure" water (the poor auld flowers get the grey waste and have to put up with it, but they mostly don't complain! :) )
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

If you are organised they are a good idea. If, like me, you are more on the creative side of organised they are not worth it.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

As Marhay said, it filled up rapidly and the rest went to waste. The water got dirty and it was a breeding ground for nasty stuff. I also required a pump as the back garden is above the house and water butt (joy of living on the side of a hill).

The price of the pump against payback for the proposed charges didn't make sense to buy also.

This is going to sound mean and nasty, but as the water isn't pay per usage (as it should be), I decided "feck this and use the tap for all water"
Supercell
Verified Username

Post by Supercell »

I've had three over the last ten years and they all cracked and started leaking after a year or two so i gave up on them. We live by the east coast so not much in the way of frost. The old man paid several hundred for a fancy one that was quite large and the same thing happened to him after a few years.
They are handy though as we seem to be getting more dry spells last few summers than before or maybe thats my age showing :)
I did get a fair bit of use from them, when they are full they can fill a watering can fast which is handy.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Up in the 'sunny North-East' here (sic!) I have had a water butt attached to a gutter down-pipe at one side of the house for a decade now. Never had any problems with it, but I did put a wire mesh on the opening in the gutter. This I clean every spring and it does hold any bigger 'stuff'' from getting into the butt. As we're on mains water with the chlorine issue etc. I find the butt water better for plants, flowers and so on. Agreed, its only a 100 litre tank and its either always full or near empty during a dry spell but I do find it useful and would not be without it.
Last edited by quodec on Tue May 10, 2022 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Oh, one advantage of the water butt is using it for washing cars. It's very soft water. Anyone washing a car with hard water knows all about the lovely residue left when washing cars with hard water
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Supercell wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:57 pm I've had three over the last ten years and they all cracked and started leaking after a year or two so i gave up on them. We live by the east coast so not much in the way of frost. The old man paid several hundred for a fancy one that was quite large and the same thing happened to him after a few years.
It's the sun that does that, or rather the UV rays, and recycled plastic is (in my experience) a lot more susceptible than virgin PE or PP. Even though I pride myself on my recycling fetishes, I make a point of avoiding anything that's sold with "made from x% recycled plastic" on the label if it's meant for long-term use.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

I keep two going and keen gardener so I appreciate the better quality water for plants and the ease of filling a watering can, less strain on back, dunking it in open trough topped up by waterbutt. I have them located in a sheltered south facing corner so never had any problem with cracking. I have covers on them so no problem with insects etc. Then there is the whole eco reason not to use 'treated' tap water wastefully.

Post by 765489 »

isha wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:20 pm If you are organised they are a good idea. If, like me, you are more on the creative side of organised they are not worth it.
Brilliant :mrgreen:

Anyway, water butts are fine in theory, but when you use them when you have to use them, say in dry summer weather, once the water is gone you'll probably be back using the hose. What's the standard water but capacity ? 220 litres ? I have one but I use it for mixing liquid seaweed based plant food for my veg In the polytunnel rather than filling a watering can and a cap full at a time.

You could get an IBC with a capacity of 1000 litres. But are ugly looking things around a house.

If you are getting one you can get a small pump for it and run a hose off it.

Also you could look at getting a tank like this. 900 litres, made by Carbery Plastics. More expensive but will last a lot longer.

https://www.tanksireland.ie/p/c_900_lit ... water_tank
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

isha wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:20 pm If you are organised they are a good idea. If, like me, you are more on the creative side of organised they are not worth it.
Oh god, you have me there haha! Thanks everyone for the very helpful responses. After reading them and think it over, I think I waste most water waiting for the cold tap to turn hot and vice versa. I think I’ll just keep a container in the kitchen and save that water instead for now.

Great suggestions & comments, thanks again.
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:44 pm As Marhay said, it filled up rapidly and the rest went to waste. The water got dirty and it was a breeding ground for nasty stuff. I also required a pump as the back garden is above the house and water butt (joy of living on the side of a hill).

The price of the pump against payback for the proposed charges didn't make sense to buy also.

This is going to sound mean and nasty, but as the water isn't pay per usage (as it should be), I decided "feck this and use the tap for all water"
FFS it is meant for watering plants, mixing concrete (ok it was for me) not for drinking or even washing in.

I don't see what is wrong with throwing a few barrels under downpipes and then having water for plants when you have a couple of dry weeks like this year or a couple of years back when covid hit.
Saves massive amount of money pumping and treating water out of the well and danger well could go dry.

Pumps WTF.
Get a couple of watering cans ya lazy ...

Jaysus the palaver some people make out of something relatively simple.