Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Aviation - the elephant in the room!

Renewable energies, sustainability, recycling and everything in between
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Aviation - the elephant in the room!

Post by Del.Monte »

Tonight an episode of "Hot Mess" highlights the complete unsustainability of air travel into the future. Nobody seems to be able to grasp this concept with all the talk of metros to the airport etc; and knaves like Michael O'Leary wanting ever more expansion of the sector.
'no more blah blah blah'
KHD

Re: Aviation - the elephant in the room!

Post by KHD »

I would gladly support the proposal to turn Dublin Airport into a sanctuary for our native wild hares. Where do I sign up with my bulldozer ? :D

I have first dibs on the Deutz DX 6.10 the gardening department have sitting in their yard.

If I need to fly to the states I'll just get the bus to Shannon Airport, no problem with that. :mrgreen:
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:47 pm Tonight an episode of "Hot Mess" highlights the complete unsustainability of air travel into the future. Nobody seems to be able to grasp this concept with all the talk of metros to the airport etc; and knaves like Michael O'Leary wanting ever more expansion of the sector.
Missed that program actually but I would have thought that aviation is way down the list of climate change issues. Estimates say it's responsible for anywhere from 2-4% of emissions. Livestock apparently 14.5%, and Motor transportation anywhere from 20-30%. In terms of efficiency (Co2 per passenger transported) cars are by far the worst mode.

Given the Irish government's track record I'd expect the airport to be repurposed as cattle grazing, car parking, and trucking distribution centres.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

It's all swings and roundabouts (and climbing frames and bouncy castles ... )

Around the turn of the last century, we all got a taste of what life would be like if we could only travel further and faster than our own legs could carry us, or the legs of a horse or a donkey if we were lucky enough to have one. Ever since, we've been happy to sacrifice everything for the sake of "further, faster, cheaper" and I doubt any amount of climate activism is going to make the slightest difference.

Back at the end of the last century, I was watching the housing bubble in the south east of England expand to bursting point at the same time as the amount of traffic on the road was increasing to fill every gap between two sets of traffic lights. All those cars, so many cars, and so few people in them. And so many of them living so far away from where they were working - even though there were almost as many people driving in the opposite direction to work wherever the first lot were living. Absolute madness.

It's much the same when it comes to airports. Chances are your carbon "footprint" for the airborne segment of your journey is less than what you pumped out between your front door and the airport car-park or drop-off station. But hey, the airline said they'll plant a tree in your name to offset your emissions, so it's all good.

Unless you're a bullock farting in the wind on the side of a hill in Meath; then you're an ecoterrorist and should be slaughtered. Oh, wait ... :roll:
mmercedes84

Post by mmercedes84 »

Blame Cows !

We are a throw away society who want more shite than ever.
Drive bigger cars , demand more entertainment.

But do some virtue signaling, and blame Cows, it's the only way forward.

It's all a load of bollox really
KHD

Post by KHD »

mmercedes84 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:42 pm Blame Cows !

We are a throw away society who want more shite than ever.
Drive bigger cars , demand more entertainment.

But do some virtue signaling, and blame Cows, it's the only way forward.

It's all a load of bollox really
Wouldn't worry about it MM, methane is not just a problem with ruminants burping ( Not bloody farting CR!! ). Plenty of other sources of methane emission sources, wetlands ( the biggest ), termites, rice fields, land fills, the burning of biomass, nutrient rich seabeds and the oil and gas industry ( same level as agriculture ). It's a 12 year cycle that is broken down into water and carbon, in the case of Cows you could say the carbon is returned to the soil again, a natural cycle that has been around for 1000s of years. The IPCC has now admitted that methane emissions from our beautiful cows has been possibly overstated... no surprise there. Do we cull all the wild wilderbeast and buffalo too to make up for our own responsibilities of rising emissions related to our own modern day opulent lifestyles ?

Anyway, yes... totally agree with your post. Who is willing to give up their flights, having less babies or foregoing the latest iPhone ?? There are certain ideologies built into this whole emission thing... switch to plant based diets... no problem with plant based diets but the releasing of carbon due to plant based agriculture is huge in my view... plus Carbon takes a 1000 years to breakdown rather than the 12 years that Daisy has burped out of her gob. I've never heard of anyone advocating we eat less rice and more potatoes interestingly.

Anway I do not believe the figures for emissions for Aviation. Is there some cooking of the books goin on in that ? considering a flight burns 1000s of litres of kerosene per flight.. is it shared between countries I wonder.

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-co ... 215-cop27/

I'll still be drinking cow juice and having my steak tomorrow. :mrgreen: But I did plant 75 trees during the week to make up for this.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Did anyone read the story of how many private jets flew into Cop 27 ? 118 private jets. How the fook are we to take any of this seriously with optics like that. Could they not all of went on 1 big plane instead if they cared about emissions ?

Our sustainability guru that my company recently appointed, for an industry that is a large carbon emitter is absolutely clueless and talks from her arse using corporate sustainability terms and slogans she doesn't understand herself. A total bullshitter and chancer. Knows nothing about the environment other than corporate slogans and talks like a nazi sorry lol The company just wants to do this in keeping with all corporates now putting out their clean green image... which is complete bollox.

Apart from the "Green economy and business" whatever the hell that is, I don't see anything we can do on any of this. Maybe if we concentrated on saving wildlife habitats, cleaning up the sources of pollution in our rivers and lakes, planting more trees ( native trees not some promise by some corporate body to plant something in a far off place we have no idea that it's been planted at all to be frank )

All I see is surveys and reports.. there are too many fooking surveys and reports in this country... I see little action on a practical side of things which could be a benefit for both ourselves and our native wildlife and fauna..

Fooking EPA will release another survey soon I suspect.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Interesting article and comments about the changes of sea ice over the last few decades, I've no idea how accurate it is. I do remember reading some posts from MT Cranium on Plonkers.ie in which he got lashed out of it by the resident environmental experts after he questioned the reasons why Sea Ice and Ice sheets are constantly decreasing and increasing.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2022/11/27/ ... mysteries/
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

KHD wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:52 pm All I see is surveys and reports.. there are too many fooking surveys and reports in this country... I see little action on a practical side of things which could be a benefit for both ourselves and our native wildlife and fauna..

Fooking EPA will release another survey soon I suspect.
Funny that you post this today - the EPA is having one of its many annual conferences today in Portlaoise. Delegates from the EPA and other public bodies will have travelled in diesel cars from all over the country to attend and "talk" about environmental issues.

They're probably tucking into their chicken dinners right about now.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

I remember reading about this last year

https://www.ukri.org/news/aviations-con ... -expected/

The whole science around calculation of carbon emissions is heavily disputed afaik (that carbon causes warming etc isn't)....as alot of carbon data around cattle etc,deos not account for the carbon sequestration of the grass said cows consume

These electric cars carbon output,arent accounting for the amount used/produced in manufacturing the cars (they dont appear out of thin air FFS),as used be said one time half a car/trucka emissions were made before a drop of fuel was burnt
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein